Thoughts after the game last night.....

thekimmer

All-Conference
Aug 30, 2012
8,853
2,988
113
We did play with effort and intensity but way too many turnovers, most of them unforced, and the poor foul shooting is embarrassing. Ado is a good defender but is a huge liability with the ball in his hands. Defense good, offense sucks.

I am resigned that we will give Howland another year. I understand that we are young having lost a lot off of last year's talented disappointing team but, based on the last 5 years, I have much confidence that next year will be more of the same and we will be looking for a new coach.

SEC officiating is an embarrassment for the league.

Finally a 'what the 17' shout out to the SEC network for the lengthy interview of Sankey right in the middle of a close basketball game. For the love of pete, you own the network and this is the commissioner! Was there no other time slot for a zoom interview with the man except DURING a basketball game!! I didn't hear what he said because I immediately muted the volume but still pissed me off greatly. That is way more than disrespectful to fans who tuned in to watch a game. Its downright RUDE!
 

HomeBoyDawg

All-Conference
Oct 22, 2013
1,419
1,381
93
I was wondering if anyone else was pissed about the Sankey interview. Reduced my screen size for no reason. And he went on and on and on...with zero game coverage by the announcers--thank goodness for the commercial break!
 
Aug 15, 2006
1,924
555
113
Turnovers, lack of assists, poor FTs, etc...true sign of a young team.

Why was last year's team disappointing? #4 seed in the SEC tourney (1st round bye) and pretty much a shoe-in for NCAA. COVID happened and the season was done.
 

Russ Wheeler

Redshirt
Aug 3, 2020
2,430
0
0
Turnovers, lack of assists, poor FTs, etc...true sign of a young team.

Why was last year's team disappointing? #4 seed in the SEC tourney (1st round bye) and pretty much a shoe-in for NCAA. COVID happened and the season was done.
For the 10th time, we were NOT getting in the tournament last year. Whether you like it or not, that's a big black mark on Howland. His tenure has been marred by disappointment. He needs to overachieve at some point to get fans on board.

I'm not saying what's right or wrong or what should happen, I'm just pointing to reality.
 
Last edited:

PineGroveBully

Redshirt
Nov 13, 2007
8,508
2
0
This is my pet peeve in sports. The St Louis Cardinals are bad to do it as well. Unless you are interviewing Tulsi Gabbard, I don’t need to see them to listen to the interview. Keep the full screen on the game. I don’t buy large flatscreen tv’s just to watch a ballgame using 60% of the screen. On top of that, there were several possible game changing plays that happened during that game that were not discussed because the announcers had to provide fellacio to Sanky.

You absolutely were not alone.
 
Last edited:

Seinfeld

All-American
Nov 30, 2006
11,634
7,880
113
Yep, our men’s program has a big problem because we’re basically left with two crappy options

A) Just let Howland ride it out knowing that best case, he probably has 2-3 years left in him

B) Fire Howland at some point between now and end of next season knowing that Cohen gets to name his replacement

I honestly don’t know which one is the better answer, but I’ve seen enough over the last six years to know that next year will be more of the same. We’ll get a couple new faces and we’ll lose a couple transfers. We'll get some nice wins, and then we’ll follow those up with inexplicable losses. Come March, we’ll be on a bubble somewhere
 

thekimmer

All-Conference
Aug 30, 2012
8,853
2,988
113
This is my pet peeve in sports. The St Louis Cardinals are bad to do it as well. Unless you are interviewing Tulsi Gabbard, I don’t need to see them to listen to the interview. Keep the full screen on the game. I don’t buy large flatscreen tv’s just to watch a ballgame using 60% of the screen. On top of that, there were several possible game changing plays that happened during that game that were not discussed because the announcers had to provide fellacio to Sanky.

You absolutely were not alone.

I agree although it is somewhat less distracting in baseball where you have some natural dead time between pitches and the unlimited time outs. Nobody tunes into a sports broadcast to watch an interview.
 

thekimmer

All-Conference
Aug 30, 2012
8,853
2,988
113
Turnovers, lack of assists, poor FTs, etc...true sign of a young team.

Why was last year's team disappointing? #4 seed in the SEC tourney (1st round bye) and pretty much a shoe-in for NCAA. COVID happened and the season was done.

Do me a favor. Take a look at this link from last March and tell me again how we are a 'shoe-in'.

Link
 

patdog

Heisman
May 28, 2007
60,494
31,717
113
I think option A is really our only choice. But he's only 63, he might stick around longer than that.
 
Nov 12, 2007
26,030
10,194
113
You covered all my major points there except I still think we have the nucleus of what could be a good team down the road. We just have to get some serious work done on our free-throw shooting and controlling the damn ball.
 
Nov 12, 2007
26,030
10,194
113
Turnovers, lack of assists, poor FTs, etc...true sign of a young team.

Why was last year's team disappointing? #4 seed in the SEC tourney (1st round bye) and pretty much a shoe-in for NCAA. COVID happened and the season was done.

Not enough FfIIAaarRRe HowwwLenzZ!
 

Seinfeld

All-American
Nov 30, 2006
11,634
7,880
113
One of these days I’ll stop beating the holy hell out of this poor horse, but I think we could just about solve both of those problems with one move. GO GET AN ACTUAL PG, Howland

It’s painfully obvious that Molinar is not a natural point man, and then while Smith may get there one day, he’s light years away from what we need today. So go get a grad transfer or JUCO PG that can actually maintain control of the ball, move Molinar to the two, and then fill out the remaining spots with DJ, Tolu, and Cam. That single move puts a proper ball handler on the court while replacing one of you worst shooters with a theoretical good to very good one. Yeah, you lose a little on defense, but Ado’s likely gone anyway, and I like my chances with Cam and Tolu down low.

Do that and you’re immediately taking pressure off of Smith, and there’s suddenly some nice depth coming off the bench as well even if it may be unproven. Quit being stubborn, and just do it Howland. This year was always going to be a rebuild, but my gosh we’re making it harder than it needs to be
 

hailstate19

Redshirt
Nov 7, 2015
1,190
41
48
One of these days I’ll stop beating the holy hell out of this poor horse, but I think we could just about solve both of those problems with one move. GO GET AN ACTUAL PG, Howland

It’s painfully obvious that Molinar is not a natural point man, and then while Smith may get there one day, he’s light years away from what we need today. So go get a grad transfer or JUCO PG that can actually maintain control of the ball, move Molinar to the two, and then fill out the remaining spots with DJ, Tolu, and Cam. That single move puts a proper ball handler on the court while replacing one of you worst shooters with a theoretical good to very good one. Yeah, you lose a little on defense, but Ado’s likely gone anyway, and I like my chances with Cam and Tolu down low.

Do that and you’re immediately taking pressure off of Smith, and there’s suddenly some nice depth coming off the bench as well even if it may be unproven. Quit being stubborn, and just do it Howland. This year was always going to be a rebuild, but my gosh we’re making it harder than it needs to be

your right on this one. I really thought Molinar could be PG material. He seemed like it the first half of the season. I guess not. It’s been a crazy long time since we have had a legit ball handler. And when I mean handler I don’t mean a really fancy dribbler like Lamar Peters. I mean a guy who can find the open man, create his own shot, and doesn’t give up many turnovers. When’s the last time we have had a PG like that? Dee Bost?
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White Football Unpacking Mississippi State's offensive unraveling against Alabama
  2. 02 Maroon and White Football "Learning Moments": Mississippi State HC Jeff Lebby speaks on rough outing for QB Kamario Taylor
  3. 03 Maroon and White Football "We let ourselves down": Isaac Smith and Anthony Evans III speak on Mississippi State's defeat to Alabama
  4. 04 Maroon and White Rapid Recap: No. 7 Alabama 56-23 No. 16 Mississippi State
  5. 05 Maroon and White Football Live Updates: Mississippi State vs. Alabama