Thought exercise for you financial wizards

FQDawg

Senior
May 1, 2006
3,076
618
113
Buddy of mine presented me with this hypothetical and I'm curious to see what ideas you guys have...

Someone gives you $1 million on January 1. You can do whatever you want with the money and can keep any resulting proceeds but you have to return the full $1 million the next Jan. 1.

What do you do with it?
 

57stratdawg

Heisman
Dec 1, 2004
148,711
24,584
113
 

57stratdawg

Heisman
Dec 1, 2004
148,711
24,584
113
On a serious note - I’d invest it in some travel stocks. Delta, Royal Caribbean, Marriott, Disney, etc. If you wanted to get fancy you could try an airline ETF so your risk is spread out.
 

Mobile Bay

All-Conference
Jul 26, 2020
4,243
2,188
113
Buddy of mine presented me with this hypothetical and I'm curious to see what ideas you guys have...

Someone gives you $1 million on January 1. You can do whatever you want with the money and can keep any resulting proceeds but you have to return the full $1 million the next Jan. 1.

What do you do with it?

267 contracts to buy Tesla @$420 expiring on 1/15/21
 

ronpolk

All-American
May 6, 2009
9,426
5,357
113
Take half and bury it in a mayonnaise jar in the back yard and the other take to the dog track and bet on the dog who does his business right before the race starts.
 
Last edited:

ckDOG

All-American
Dec 11, 2007
10,422
6,817
113
Blow through it then sue your lender.

Buddy of mine presented me with this hypothetical and I'm curious to see what ideas you guys have...

Someone gives you $1 million on January 1. You can do whatever you want with the money and can keep any resulting proceeds but you have to return the full $1 million the next Jan. 1.

What do you do with it?

View attachment 18728
 

Bulldog from Birth

All-Conference
Jan 23, 2007
2,556
1,164
113
I'll assume defaulting on the loan isn't an option. It really depends on how much money you have in addition to this sum. If you've got a few million in assets and you can afford to take a risk and lose a big chunk of the million if the market tanked, then I'd put the money into some pretty stable high dividend paying stocks, make 5% on the investment during the year and hope the stock prices don't drop much if any. If this million dollars dwarfs your net worth, then I'll be honest, you can't take a big risk with this money. If you had another major Covid-19 lockdown, the market could sink back another 30-50%. If you had a 5-year time horizon, it'd be fine. But the market can really get whacked in a year. So I'd just put it in the best 12-month CD i could find and take your 0.5% to 1% and sleep easy.
 

bully12

Senior
Sep 2, 2012
1,716
784
113
Buddy of mine presented me with this hypothetical and I'm curious to see what ideas you guys have...

Someone gives you $1 million on January 1. You can do whatever you want with the money and can keep any resulting proceeds but you have to return the full $1 million the next Jan. 1.

What do you do with it?
 

turkish

Junior
Aug 22, 2012
997
376
63
Buddy of mine presented me with this hypothetical and I'm curious to see what ideas you guys have...

Someone gives you $1 million on January 1. You can do whatever you want with the money and can keep any resulting proceeds but you have to return the full $1 million the next Jan. 1.

What do you do with it?
Since I feel like people with that much money should pay higher taxes, I’d give it all to .gov and hope my buddy understands. If not, he’s probably racist and deserves the inconvenience.
 

M R DAWGS

All-Conference
Apr 13, 2018
2,300
2,196
113
Since I feel like people with that much money should pay higher taxes, I’d give it all to .gov and hope my buddy understands. If not, he’s probably racist and deserves the inconvenience.

I agree. There is no reason that one person should own that much. They should share with the unfortunate and downtrodden.*

Education and work ethic be damned.
 
Last edited:

Jeffreauxdawg

All-American
Dec 15, 2017
8,891
8,003
113
Lever it up with ultra low interest rate loans and buy a cash generating existing businesses and a real estate flip.
 

Go Budaw

Redshirt
Aug 22, 2012
7,321
0
36
Buy Amazon on a dip, cash out in December up $300-$400k, take 2 or 3 years off and travel the world while I’m still somewhat young.
 

HWY51dog

Junior
Jul 24, 2013
363
218
43
Buy rental properties with the cash. Refinance and pull the cash back out and repay the loan.
 

Mobile Bay

All-Conference
Jul 26, 2020
4,243
2,188
113
I agree. There is no reason that one person should own that much. They should share with the unfortunate and downtrodden.*

Education and work ethic be damned.


God forbid a man should plant a field, work the field all season, and then keep the fruits of his labor**

We should all stay home and enjoy the gruel/soylent green our benevolent government grants us.**
 

dorndawg

Heisman
Sep 10, 2012
9,370
10,726
113
Take half and bury it in a mayonnaise jar in the back yard and the other take to the dog track and bet on the dog who does his business right before the race starts.

Must like you some mayonnaise huh?

 

Nicephorus

Redshirt
Sep 3, 2018
150
0
0
Put it in the www.curve.fi 3pool and take my 30-50% interest. Depending on risk tolerance, sell the CRV tokens you get in interest daily or hold them to speculate a little
 
May 28, 2020
1,387
0
0

If you understand bitcoin's four-year cycle, you know 2021 is likely to be another 2017.

But professor...When you told me #Bitcoin was a Ponzi scheme you left out the part about the four-year halving cycle and two-week difficulty adjustment...How does that work? //Thread Post 1 pic.twitter.com/nJAyyXTVNS— Preston Pysh (@PrestonPysh) November 13, 2020
 

HWY51dog

Junior
Jul 24, 2013
363
218
43
Why buy the houses with cash and then refinance? Why not just finance on the front end?
It’s called the BRRR method. Buy, rehab, rent, refinance. If property is bought correctly, you make money on the refinance and have cash flow property’s. It’s done a lot with real estate investors.
 

CreekFishin

Redshirt
Jun 11, 2020
208
0
0
Hell no. Somebody with that much money should be able to lawyer himself out of paying taxes. I paid more taxes than Trump in 2016, and I was working part time.
 

jethreauxdawg

Heisman
Dec 20, 2010
11,911
17,236
113
Hell no. Somebody with that much money should be able to lawyer himself out of paying taxes. I paid more taxes than Trump in 2016, and I was working part time.
Did you pay as much or lose as much as he did in the previous years? Acting like rich people don’t pay taxes takes a special level of faith. But if it is said enough people believe it. Also, the IRS carefully checks the returns of rich people. They don’t spend nearly as much time trying to catch us regular folks cheating them out of a few extra thousand.
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Rivals Basketball Recruiting 5-star AJ Williams details his official visits and where things stand with UNC, BYU & Arkansas as the early signing period nears
  2. 02 Maroon and White Mississippi State Bye Week Checklist: What Needs Work?
  3. 03 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State Bye Week Watchlist
  4. 04 Maroon and White Mississippi State Basketball tipoff times finalized
  5. 05 Rivals Basketball Recruiting Mississippi State, Maryland & UCF talking visits with 4-star forward K'Nard Callendar