This team is totally different

hailstate19

Redshirt
Nov 7, 2015
1,190
41
48
I’m not even mad about that egg bowl loss. Usually I’m pretty pissed about losing to them, because I hate Ole Miss so much. Tonights game was totally different. These guys fought hard. It seems like this team has totally bought into the Mike Leach system. I really think he has cleaned up the culture a decent amount. He weeded out some bad apples that were probably allowed to get away with a lot of ******** under Moorhead. Our offense isn’t perfect, but it seems way more efficient. I realize Ole Miss has a ****** defense, but we looked good vs UGA too. As more Mike Leach style players come in, it will get better. Will Rodgers is a gamer too. I been saying he was the better option since about the 3rd game. Looking forward to next year. Hailstate
 

57stratdawg

Heisman
Dec 1, 2004
148,711
24,584
113
I somewhat agree, but it still seems tough to see this offense putting up big numbers in the SEC without any resemblance of a running game. The OL can continue to improve, but it’s no coincidence we’re at the bottom of the league in redzone and 3rd down conversions without any run game.

Honestly, talent seems like as much of an issue at RB as anything.
 
Sep 9, 2012
2,803
0
0
I somewhat agree, but it still seems tough to see this offense putting up big numbers in the SEC without any resemblance of a running game. The OL can continue to improve, but it’s no coincidence we’re at the bottom of the league in redzone and 3rd down conversions without any run game.

Honestly, talent seems like as much of an issue at RB as anything.

We do need to get more efficient in the run game when we do run. I think we will though, because WSU had the same issue early with Leach. In year one, WSU averaged 1.4 YPC- last year, WSU averaged over 4 YPC.

And not sure I agree on the red zone issues. We have been like 6/7 on our red zone trips these last two games. Four TDs, two FGs, and then the fumble that should have been a TD. We have actually been good inside the RZ lately. We are also taking good care of the ball. Only one TO in the last three games.

We are still not consistent enough with execution, which led to too many three and outs tonight. That along with the fumble and not having Wheat/Davis were the differences in the game.
 

patdog

Heisman
May 28, 2007
60,588
31,861
113
Yeah. Proud of the way this team fought the entire game. 2 defensive lapses and a fumble at the goal line changed the game. Otherwise, we played about as well as could have been reasonably expected.
 

oxfordrebel22

Sophomore
Oct 31, 2013
1,928
134
63
We do need to get more efficient in the run game when we do run. I think we will though, because WSU had the same issue early with Leach. In year one, WSU averaged 1.4 YPC- last year, WSU averaged over 4 YPC.

And not sure I agree on the red zone issues. We have been like 6/7 on our red zone trips these last two games. Four TDs, two FGs, and then the fumble that should have been a TD. We have actually been good inside the RZ lately. We are also taking good care of the ball. Only one TO in the last three games.

We are still not consistent enough with execution, which led to too many three and outs tonight. That along with the fumble and not having Wheat/Davis were the differences in the game.

I agree with you, as much as I don’t want to. And I know y’all don’t want to hear this but that fumble was just one of those freak things where Tylan Knight, who is one of those under-recruited Mississippi kids that y’all have made a killing on, made a great play. Austin Williams didn’t do anything wrong
 

MSUDC11

Redshirt
Aug 23, 2012
7,316
0
0
I agree with the qualifier that I think it’s important for us to get another win this season. Auburn and Mizzou coming to Starkville are VERY winnable games. Our fanbase has some hope again at the moment and I think winning at least one of those games would really help with morale moving into next year.
 
Sep 9, 2012
2,803
0
0
I agree with the qualifier that I think it’s important for us to get another win this season. Auburn and Mizzou coming to Starkville are VERY winnable games. Our fanbase has some hope again at the moment and I think winning at least one of those games would really help with morale moving into next year.

I agree, we need to get one of these last two. Auburn is very winnable on 12/12.
 

GloryDawg

Heisman
Mar 3, 2005
20,708
19,605
113
Just think there was only 47 scholarship guys dressed out and look at the freshman we had all over the field. The future is bright my friends. I hate losing to OLe MIss but dang it happens and it will happen to them in the future. This time next this young football team will be much more mature, bigger, stronger, faster with a lot of experience.
 

bulldognation

All-Conference
Jan 26, 2004
3,805
1,556
113
TBH, I’m not really mad either. Sort of expected to see OM put up big numbers. I’d be more pissed if I was an OM fan, knowing MSU was coming into my stadium with a depleted team trotting out a freshman QB on only his second start and only managed to win by 7. Given how much talent they have on that side of the ball, they should have pinned 50+ on us.

That and everyone knows this season has a giant asterisk on it due to COVID.
 

Bill Shankly

Redshirt
Nov 27, 2020
2,095
0
0
17 them bastards. That being said, we did much better than expected. I'm like y'all, for the first time I ain't that upset at
Losing to them.
 

Todd4State

Redshirt
Mar 3, 2008
17,411
1
0
We do need to get more efficient in the run game when we do run. I think we will though, because WSU had the same issue early with Leach. In year one, WSU averaged 1.4 YPC- last year, WSU averaged over 4 YPC.

And not sure I agree on the red zone issues. We have been like 6/7 on our red zone trips these last two games. Four TDs, two FGs, and then the fumble that should have been a TD. We have actually been good inside the RZ lately. We are also taking good care of the ball. Only one TO in the last three games.

We are still not consistent enough with execution, which led to too many three and outs tonight. That along with the fumble and not having Wheat/Davis were the differences in the game.

We had a couple of drives killed by poor snaps too. That has to get cleaned up in the offseason.
 

tenureplan

All-Conference
Dec 3, 2008
8,582
1,220
113
Our running backs are going down when they get looked at hard. Im not even kidding, they go down before contact. Can't put that on the system.
 

kired

All-Conference
Aug 22, 2008
7,137
2,560
113
I haven’t kept up with the numbers, but we could be helped tremendously if some of the seniors return. Spencer and Jones on DL, Peters at safety, Thompson at LB - although he probably has the best chance at being drafted. Ruiz appears to be one of the best kickers we’ve ever had. Mitchell and Payton at WR. Not sure who we have on OL - I know Eiland is a sr, maybe the only one you’d get back.

That’s a handful of guys that can come back and not even count against the 85. Those guys should be priority #1 for Leach.
 

57stratdawg

Heisman
Dec 1, 2004
148,711
24,584
113
They have not broken many tackles this season. At all. But, I also think we’re underselling how difficult it can be on RBs to catch a ball in the flat, then immediately turn into 2 unblocked SEC LBs. That’s not a fun day at the office for those guys.
 

oxfordrebel22

Sophomore
Oct 31, 2013
1,928
134
63
TBH, I’m not really mad either. Sort of expected to see OM put up big numbers. I’d be more pissed if I was an OM fan, knowing MSU was coming into my stadium with a depleted team trotting out a freshman QB on only his second start and only managed to win by 7. Given how much talent they have on that side of the ball, they should have pinned 50+ on us.

That and everyone knows this season has a giant asterisk on it due to COVID.

You’ll take a win in this rivalry any time you can get it. But, it is definitely frustrating that we came away with zero points in 3 red zone trips. Partially due to good D by State, partially due to lack of execution. We should have never let State be within a Hail Mary of winning the game. But, I’ll take being frustrated for winning. I’d have never thought that would be the case in year 1, with what Kiffin inherited.

I think both programs have good days ahead with some really meaningful Egg Bowls coming up.
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White Mississippi State Bye Week Checklist: What Needs Work?
  2. 02 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State Bye Week Watchlist
  3. 03 Maroon and White Mississippi State Basketball tipoff times finalized
  4. 04 Rivals Basketball Recruiting Mississippi State, Maryland & UCF talking visits with 4-star forward K'Nard Callendar
  5. 05 Maroon and White Football "Fine line": Mississippi State HC Jeff Lebby speaks on managing health and preparation