This might become political

mstateglfr

All-American
Feb 24, 2008
16,908
6,749
113

This might become political​

But the President’s Cup started yesterday. The good guys lead 3-2 after day one. Currently playing alternate shot.
Only if he ditches Rocky Top in favor of showing up at Medinah. But like...it is HIS Cup, so fair enough if he shows.**
Seriously though, the weather is incredible for the tournament. 55-65deg, no rain, and wind always under 10mph for these last 3 days.


FUN FACT- Medinah #3 was completely transformed a few years ago by the person who is captaining the International team- Geoff Ogilvy.
The course used to be tight, lined with trees, thick rough, and fast greens.
The 2 year course change kept early hole routing mostly the same but overall changed the course to being wide open, more heavily bunkered, and having larger more contoured greens.
The last 1/3 of the course is completely new. And a couple well known par 3s over the famous lake are gone.
They took out hundreds of large established trees, added dozens of bunkers, and expanded a lot of greens.

Pretty wild change. Its basically unrecognizable.
 
  • Like
Reactions: jethreauxdawg

jethreauxdawg

Heisman
Dec 20, 2010
11,911
17,236
113
Only if he ditches Rocky Top in favor of showing up at Medinah. But like...it is HIS Cup, so fair enough if he shows.**
Seriously though, the weather is incredible for the tournament. 55-65deg, no rain, and wind always under 10mph for these last 3 days.


FUN FACT- Medinah #3 was completely transformed a few years ago by the person who is captaining the International team- Geoff Ogilvy.
The course used to be tight, lined with trees, thick rough, and fast greens.
The 2 year course change kept early hole routing mostly the same but overall changed the course to being wide open, more heavily bunkered, and having larger more contoured greens.
The last 1/3 of the course is completely new. And a couple well known par 3s over the famous lake are gone.
They took out hundreds of large established trees, added dozens of bunkers, and expanded a lot of greens.

Pretty wild change. Its basically unrecognizable.
Did you grow up playing there?
Why would they make such a drastic change to a historic course?
 

mstateglfr

All-American
Feb 24, 2008
16,908
6,749
113
Did you grow up playing there?
Why would they make such a drastic change to a historic course?
I have played the courses a handful of times.
I knew a pro there and once played #1 because of that.
#2 was/is known as the women's course for some reason and I got to play it twice for HS matches because a local high school was granted a few home matches there each year.
And I played #3 twice because a friend growing up was a member. Once was because we were supposed to play #1 or #2 but it was shut down for aeration so the clubhouse for some reason agreed to let us play #3. The other time was because my friend scheduled and paid for the four of us to play #3...and he was lit the 17 up by his dad about a month later. Ha, that was rough for him but worth it for us!



From what I read and heard, they wanted to ensure #3 stays relevant in future years as it had both dropped in course rankings and was a scoring field-day at the last PGA tournament that had been held there.
I guess it all makes sense- there has been a definite trend away from playing heavily tree-lined courses, and new designs that hit rankings(non-desert) seem to largely be links style, heathland style, or sandbelt style...which are all styles that are more open and wide.
 
  • Like
Reactions: jethreauxdawg

goindhoo

Senior
Feb 29, 2008
1,273
435
83
Did you grow up playing there?
Why would they make such a drastic change to a historic course?
Got a friend, that went to MSU, that is a member. I've played all 3 courses 4-5 times.
JT won the BMW at -24 one year. That kinda forced them to make some significant changes to get major events to schedule there again.
 
  • Like
Reactions: RocketDawg

Bulldog Bruce

All-American
Nov 1, 2007
5,263
6,509
113
I don't have the Golf Channel. Wasn't going to get it for the first two rounds. Just stupid.

Also if I was captain of this or Ryder cup I would put out a mandate if you want to be considered for my team I want to see 100 rounds or more of alternate shot during the year. As it gets closer to picking I would tell them who they need to play with.
 

Bulldog Bruce

All-American
Nov 1, 2007
5,263
6,509
113
I guess they read SPS and heard about my threat. Of course I should not be posting this and early calling it.

Episode 9 GIF by The Simpsons
 
  • Like
Reactions: RocketDawg
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Rivals Basketball Recruiting 5-star AJ Williams details his official visits and where things stand with UNC, BYU & Arkansas as the early signing period nears
  2. 02 Maroon and White Mississippi State Bye Week Checklist: What Needs Work?
  3. 03 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State Bye Week Watchlist
  4. 04 Maroon and White Mississippi State Basketball tipoff times finalized
  5. 05 Rivals Basketball Recruiting Mississippi State, Maryland & UCF talking visits with 4-star forward K'Nard Callendar