I agree I'm cautiously optimistic as well. Rivals also ranked him as basically a top 60 or so player in the nation, so if scouts think hes that good, that's another data point that makes me optimistic.Usually I take nothing whatsoever away from highlights and reprimand those who try to. I’ll make a minor exception here. I’m cautiously optimistic. Diego shows some promising skills starting with the weakside move in coverage at the 1:50 mark. Competition level not withstanding, it’s pretty clear the kid has a left and uses to create for himself as well as to distribute. That’s good news for us. It’s been a long time since we’ve had someone with his length who possessed those types of skills. When you combine that with having a reputation of earning PT for his defense and I’m intrigued. We’ll see.
I take nothing away from highlight film of guys draining 3 balls. No context to it in terms of number of attempts, etc.
I hear you. Still cautious overall as I thought last year Nwuli would br better but the difference is Diego is a different type of player so we’ll see.I agree I'm cautiously optimistic as well. Rivals also ranked him as basically a top 60 or so player in the nation, so if scouts think hes that good, that's another data point that makes me optimistic.
I'm not too cautious. Kid looks legit. Both Euros do.
The one thing is that he has a reputation of being a good defender supposedly, which wasn't the case last year. I will say if he does live up to that 4 star rating we will be a tournament contender. Can we finally be lucky for one and find that lightning in a bottle? Just one time? In any sport?Not sure I see anything in this video that tells me he's definitely going to a contributor. Similar to our other euro's, doesn't look overly athletic and will be reliant on positioning and smarts to be successful.
He’s known for being good at D cross multiple scouting sources. For this reason - Nwuli was my “bar” on offense and the moves I pointed to suggest an upgrade. His ball skills and offensive game on his film seem more diverse than Chris in my view.Not sure I see anything in this video that tells me he's definitely going to a contributor. Similar to our other euro's, doesn't look overly athletic and will be reliant on positioning and smarts to be successful.
I’m not saying this means he’ll be good - but his film looks nothing whatsoever like Zrno’s Euro highlights which quite literally told you nothing since it was almost all 3 balls. And defnitely no defense. Diego’s film had a bunch of blocks.Not sure I see anything in this video that tells me he's definitely going to a contributor. Similar to our other euro's, doesn't look overly athletic and will be reliant on positioning and smarts to be successful.
That's a little why the video concerned me. Defensive reputation and the only real defensive highlights were a couple feom behind blocks after he was beaten because he couldnt stay in front it seemed. Haven't seen full games or live, so hopefully his rep is earned. RU is definitely due for a hopeful to come good.The one thing is that he has a reputation of being a good defender supposedly, which wasn't the case last year. I will say if he does live up to that 4 star rating we will be a tournament contender. Can we finally be lucky for one and find that lightning in a bottle? Just one time? In any sport?
Would be great if he can defend, probably not great if he leads the front court in minutes played.I am working on a large write up of the team including analysis on every player, and for that I’ve watched full games on what I can find. For Diego I could not find tons of full game footage from his pro season for Ulm, only finding one game with good quality, but still it mostly aligned with the U18 eurobasket games of his I watched. I think he’s got super high potential on the defensive end and think a decent bit of it will translate here. He gets around screens on the perimeter, plays well in the passing lanes, positions himself correctly and has just tremendous on the ball ability as well. My prediction is he will be our leading front court minutes player, last few years we have had to go super small to get the level of perimeter defense Pike wanted and Diego should prevent the need to play JMike in spots he shouldn’t. However, if you’re expecting him to be this transformative offensive piece, I think you’ll be disappointed in that respect. As long as he can be a reliable spacer in the corner, make some good connective passes and allow our creators to do our thing he should more than serve his purpose and stay on the floor. I am very excited about Diego, think he can be a good piece this year and maybe be the true guy to return us to our defensive identity of being long and suffocating on the perimeter.
I actually thought I saw video of one of the other new guys that looked like what I hoped Nwuli could be. Don't remember the name though.He’s known for being good at D cross multiple scouting sources. For this reason - Nwuli was my “bar” on offense and the moves I pointed to suggest an upgrade. His ball skills and offensive game on his film seem more diverse than Chris in my view.
Yeah if he leads in minutes played, and he doesn't score, that means that the other transfers are a failure and that would mean another long season. I am hopeful Diego can score though.Would be great if he can defend, probably not great if he leads the front court in minutes played.
That's a little why the video concerned me. Defensive reputation and the only real defensive highlights were a couple feom behind blocks after he was beaten because he couldnt stay in front it seemed. Haven't seen full games or live, so hopefully his rep is earned. RU is definitely due for a hopeful to come good.
This is from 2 years ago, but a lot of these clips are fairly translatable and remain in line with what I saw in the more current film.That's a little why the video concerned me. Defensive reputation and the only real defensive highlights were a couple feom behind blocks after he was beaten because he couldnt stay in front it seemed. Haven't seen full games or live, so hopefully his rep is earned. RU is definitely due for a hopeful to come good.
Yes, by far! And as far as 3's, it's not that he is hitting threes, it's that his form is nearly perfect, and his release doesn't look that slow to me.He’s known for being good at D cross multiple scouting sources. For this reason - Nwuli was my “bar” on offense and the moves I pointed to suggest an upgrade. His ball skills and offensive game on his film seem more diverse than Chris in my view.
The films of both offer enough for me to know how good they will be - maybe not from day one, but pretty soon there.after. Some of Harper's films didn't show that much, but you knew if you knew what you were looking at. I've evaluated thousands of film
Yes, by far! And as far as 3's, it's not that he is hitting threes, it's that his form is nearly perfect, and his release doesn't look that slow to me.
This is from 2 years ago, but a lot of these clips are fairly translatable and remain in line with what I saw in the more current film.
On the 3s - the ones you are seeing are hand picked in a highlights video. Now if your saying you’ve watched whole games of him to see his consistent stroke that’s an entirely different thing. I video my middle schoolers playing BB a lot. I could clip together a highlight reel of each kid on the team’s best 3s and outside of a few with terrible form (super low release, etc.), you would not be able to tell which ones shot at the highest percentage from it. I promise. I get that in middle school, form is perhaps less consistent from one shot to another but even in the NCAAs - form looks different depending how balanced a kid is, etc. and some kids with funky looking form shoot at a high percentage anyway. It’s not a reliable predictive indicator. And Sean isn’t wrong about the blocks in the sense that they don’t provide useful data demonstrating that Diego is a good defender. They simply show that he’s good at timing blocks from behind which isn’t a bad skill to have but is of only limited importance in overall game flow.
That’s why I said - the only thing you can really take from the clip is that he defninitely has good length, and is comfortable putting the ball on the floor in both directions to make plays. He looks like a pretty good ball handling forward to me (compared to Grant, Nwuli and Denis). Unlike Buchanan, he uses his left.
D1 players have pretty much the same form on every 3 point shot. That said, I like Miteo better.
Great form means good shooter, period! Not sure you know what great form is - middle schoolers rarely have it. They didn't recruit this kid just for his defense. He'll become a complete player.You can look at “form” from shooting drills. It’s meaningless unless the ball goes through the net. Diego isn’t a sharp shooter. That’s not going to be his thing regardless.
No - I think perhaps you don’t understand. Many middle schoolers (at least mine) have excellent form and can put up video game like shooting percentages on the shooting guns. Footwork / balance (I.e. being ready when attempting a shot) is by far the biggest factor in making or breaking a player’s shooting success in games (at ALL levels). By 5th grade or so when a kids hands have grown to proportional size for the ball most kids (who are real players) shoot with correct form. There are some form growing pains when kids transition in 6th from size 6 ball to size 7. But other than that period - it’s much more about balance. Release point / speed would be second most important (related to form, but more from the perspective of actually being able to get balanced shots off in time).Great form means good shooter, period! Not sure you know what great form is - middle schoolers rarely have it. They didn't recruit this kid just for his defense. He'll become a complete player.
LOL. High school varsity and college coaches generally know a little more about shooting form than middle school coaches. It is so much more than footwork, balance, and being ready to shoot. There is release point, shooting at the top of your jump, where the ball is in your hand, what fingers should last touch the ball, the job of your non shooting hand, the follow through of not only your shooting hand but of your feet, and the position of your feet relative to each other. A right handed shooter should have his right foot slightly in front of his left foot, and visa versa. If you're teaching all of these things to middle schoolers, more power to you, but I doubt it. Even almost all fifth graders (11 year olds), no matter what size their hands are, heave the ball from below their neck from more than 15 feet. That's not good form unless you want to have every shot blocked when you get older. It's near impossible for an 11 or 12 year old to have good form from more than 10 feet out.No - I think perhaps you don’t understand. Many middle schoolers (at least mine) have excellent form and can put up video game like shooting percentages on the shooting guns. Footwork / balance (I.e. being ready when attempting a shot) is by far the biggest factor in making or breaking a player’s shooting success in games (at ALL levels). By 5th grade or so when a kids hands have grown to proportional size for the ball most kids (who are real players) shoot with correct form. There are some form growing pains when kids transition in 6th from size 6 ball to size 7. But other than that period - it’s much more about balance. Release point / speed would be second most important (related to form, but more from the perspective of actually being able to get balanced shots off in time).
The Knight Report
Brandin Knight takes over Rutgers basketball while Steve Pikiell battles cancer
The Knight Report
Join The Knight Report TODAY and get it for 60% off!
High School Football
Prediction: Can Bergen Catholic (N.J.) run the table in the 2nd half of the season?
The Knight Report
WAR ROOM: Latest Recruit Scoop and Team News on Rutgers Athletics
The Knight Report
Rutgers Basketball talks Big Ten Media Days on BTN