The NCat Logo

jne381

Freshman
Sep 2, 2013
566
94
23
Did Northwestern Athletics officially stop using the NCat logo? I don't see it on much in the official store, with the exception of a few items having other retro logos, or other items that look like they just haven't gotten rid of them yet.
 

NJCat

All-Conference
Mar 7, 2016
21,903
2,050
113
Did Northwestern Athletics officially stop using the NCat logo? I don't see it on much in the official store, with the exception of a few items having other retro logos, or other items that look like they just haven't gotten rid of them yet.
Yes. I seem to recall that Fitz wasn't a fan of it when they canned it.
 

NURoseBowl

Junior
Jun 16, 2009
8,225
373
58
Don't like it, never liked it. Our clean, classic N is perfect. Don't need no stinkin' N-cat.
 

UpsetAlert

Junior
May 21, 2018
1,641
237
52
Don't like it, never liked it. Our clean, classic N is perfect. Don't need no stinkin' N-cat.
It’s a secondary logo. Still officially in use and available to buy on licensed products, but mostly not on uniforms. I’d say with all things thought, it’ll likely cycle back in style at some point.
 
Aug 31, 2003
15,133
556
113
Don't like it, never liked it. Our clean, classic N is perfect. Don't need no stinkin' N-cat.
The N-cat is undeniably Northwestern. Show the purple N to most people and I doubt they would identify it as Northwestern. I think more people identify the N-cat with Northwestern.

 

NURoseBowl

Junior
Jun 16, 2009
8,225
373
58
The N-cat is undeniably Northwestern. Show the purple N to most people and I doubt they would identify it as Northwestern. I think more people identify the N-cat with Northwestern.

You're probably right, Feral. Still don't like it.
 

Gocatsgo2003

All-Conference
Mar 30, 2006
47,390
3,913
78
Did Northwestern Athletics officially stop using the NCat logo? I don't see it on much in the official store, with the exception of a few items having other retro logos, or other items that look like they just haven't gotten rid of them yet.

Fitz isn't a fan of the N-Cat, prefers the Block N, so the N-Cat has been minimized somewhat.
 
Mar 11, 2011
495
1
0
IIRC, the logo change started in 2013. I don’t remember a big announcement or any fanfare, just that the N logo randomly started being used on scorebugs that season and the N-Cat never returned.

The N logo is classic and perfect for a primary logo. But the N-Cat logo would look good on sleeves, especially if you colored the cat purple, like on those ‘95 jerseys.
 

PaCat

Redshirt
Mar 31, 2009
422
11
18
The N-cat is undeniably Northwestern. Show the purple N to most people and I doubt they would identify it as Northwestern. I think more people identify the N-cat with Northwestern.

I’m a big fan of the NCat logo. The purple N means nothing or confuses most people where I live on the East Coast. I've had people stop me and ask me if I'm wearing a Niagara University hat. Their school color is also purple. On the other hand when I wear my hat displaying the NCat there ‘s no question that it is a Northwestern hat. It’s an instant conversation starter. Apart from that my friends who appreciate design tell me it’s a good looking logo.
 
Last edited:

JournCat

Junior
Aug 4, 2009
4,522
254
83
IIRC, the logo change started in 2013. I don’t remember a big announcement or any fanfare, just that the N logo randomly started being used on scorebugs that season and the N-Cat never returned.

The N logo is classic and perfect for a primary logo. But the N-Cat logo would look good on sleeves, especially if you colored the cat purple, like on those ‘95 jerseys.

The N-cat looked good on the Rose Bowl retro uniforms in 2015, though the overall jersey was a little plain. I thought the jerseys might make a comeback for the 25th anniversary this year. Maybe has something to do with the butt-kicking we took from Iowa while wearing them ...
 
Wildcat Report

Latest

  1. 01 Wildcat Report 'The atmosphere was unbelievable': Visiting prospects rave about the new Ryan Field
  2. 02 Wildcat Report Notebook: Braun looks to keep focus on Ball State after big Penn State win
  3. 03 On3 Football David Braun on Big Ten not receiving same respect as SEC in AP Poll: 'Check the receipts'
  4. 04 Wildcat Report The 3-2-1 after Northwestern's demolition of Penn State
  5. 05 Wildcat Report Recruit Roundup: Thornton and Frey each snag a pick-six, Norman rushes for four TDs