The fumble/return should have ever happened

615dawg

All-Conference
Jun 4, 2007
7,312
4,861
113
The play clock was at 0. Delay of Game.

 

dawgstudent

Heisman
Apr 15, 2003
40,558
22,415
113
I've heard explained that the refs will look at the clock and then look at the line. So if we were close - they usually let it go.
 

615dawg

All-Conference
Jun 4, 2007
7,312
4,861
113
I understand. But if we would have been penalized there, we win the game. That's baseball.
 

Jeffreauxdawg

All-American
Dec 15, 2017
8,891
8,003
113
I understand. But if we would have been penalized there, we win the game. That's baseball.

Game winner at 2:23 left in the first quarter? Are you sure out was going to play out exactly the same from that point on? DS is right, from the dawn of time refs give the half second or so buffer it takes to confirm zero on the play clock and look back for the snap.
 

DawgNsuds

Senior
Jun 4, 2007
973
723
93
I believe I've seen instances where the TV clocks and the game clock were not synched. My thought was that it was like the first down yard to gain that they add, that its a best effort and not linked to the true game clock
 

615dawg

All-Conference
Jun 4, 2007
7,312
4,861
113
I believe I've seen instances where the TV clocks and the game clock were not synched. My thought was that it was like the first down yard to gain that they add, that its a best effort and not linked to the true game clock

As someone who once had the job of controlling the clock on the TV broadcasts (You hit the space bar to start/stop, and then fix mistakes during replays), you would have once been right. But now these modern controllers allow TV networks to directly connect so it is 100% in sync unless there is an issue that makes them go back to the old way.

Of course the old, old way is to have a Sony Handicam positioned on the clock at all times.
 

crackerjax

Sophomore
Aug 24, 2012
343
177
43
I believe I've seen instances where the TV clocks and the game clock were not synched. My thought was that it was like the first down yard to gain that they add, that its a best effort and not linked to the true game clock

I was at the game and we yelled in disgust about Will letting the play clock run out, but the refs didn’t call it and then the fumble happened. The ball was snapped a solid 1-2 seconds after the play clock had expired. Was not even close. We could not understand why that was not part of the official review that took place since it was so obvious.
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White Mississippi State Bye Week Checklist: What Needs Work?
  2. 02 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State Bye Week Watchlist
  3. 03 Maroon and White Mississippi State Basketball tipoff times finalized
  4. 04 Rivals Basketball Recruiting Mississippi State, Maryland & UCF talking visits with 4-star forward K'Nard Callendar
  5. 05 Maroon and White Football "Fine line": Mississippi State HC Jeff Lebby speaks on managing health and preparation