The biggest plus with Corvid and mask

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbaydog

All-American
Feb 25, 2008
2,947
5,388
113
we eliminated all flu and pneumonia cases, according to the numbers.
 

Bullldawg78

All-Conference
Aug 30, 2018
1,751
1,446
113
Lack of international travel has helped flu quite a bit as well, but I had two patients in a row I tested positive for flu b in ER this week. Also not sure how pneumonia numbers are down because almost 100% of the covid patients get hypoxic from pneumonia which is why they need to be admitted?
 
Nov 16, 2005
29,302
24,439
113
You know why? Kids wearing masks. Kids spread flu like wildfire and with them distancing and masking at school it’s choked it down completely.
 

UpTheMiddlex3Punt

All-Conference
May 28, 2007
18,100
4,175
113
You know what other virus I miss? 17ing Norovirus. When you go to the bathroom thirty times a day but each time you're not sure if you need to sit and brace for the squirts or bow before the throne to puke your guts out. Like beef macaroni night but it lasts two days.
 
Aug 22, 2012
440
0
0
From my job and experiences, nothing scares me worse than the spread of a certain novel influenza and a norovirus that lasts longer than 2-3 days. The absolute sickest I have ever been for 36 hours.
 

patdog

Heisman
May 28, 2007
60,484
31,700
113
Of course we did. I called this last April. With the measures we're taking to barely keep corona in check, flu never had a chance.
 

HailStout

Heisman
Jan 4, 2020
6,186
17,715
113
we eliminated all flu and pneumonia cases, according to the numbers.

Bacterial pneumonia is not contagious, but the bacteria that causes pneumonia is spread from person to person. If you break the chain of spread then you were going to cut down significantly on the number of pneumonias. All diseases that are caused by viruses or bacteria that are spread by respiratory means are going to decrease because of the precautions taken for Covid. Anecdotally I will say that the number of pneumonias I have seen personally do seem to be down somewhat, but that may be just because I’ve been so overwhelmed by Covid. And yes, all the Covid patients I’ve seen in the hospital Have had Covid pneumonia. My suspicion is they are speaking about bacterial pneumonia and Covid Pneumonia is in a separate category
 

Trojanbulldog19

All-American
Aug 25, 2014
10,134
5,914
113
Don’t think kids are doing much diff than before. At least not the ones around us in our neighborhood. All hanging out playing no masks just as always
 

Trojanbulldog19

All-American
Aug 25, 2014
10,134
5,914
113
From my job and experiences, nothing scares me worse than the spread of a certain novel influenza and a norovirus that lasts longer than 2-3 days. The absolute sickest I have ever been for 36 hours.

Nora virus was the worst. Couldn’t move 2 feet from the toilet
 

Maroon Eagle

All-American
May 24, 2006
18,584
8,562
102
I don't know about the pneumonia numbers being down either. My mother had a really nasty case of it that lasted for at least a couple months and required two separate overnight stays in the hospital.

Fortunately her doctor gave her the go ahead to get the Moderna shots and it's been over two weeks since her second shot.
 

PineGroveBully

Redshirt
Nov 13, 2007
8,508
2
0
I don’t get the point you are trying to make. Kids spread flu. Kids wear mask and kids don’t spread flu. If you have any teachers in your family/circle of friends then you would know that’s the case. Instead of smartass quips why don’t you enlighten us on your theories.
 

o_Hot Rock

Senior
Jan 2, 2010
2,061
958
113
My brother in law tested positive for Covid, strep, and the flu this week. All in same visit.

I would hate to have that scenario. The flu can be rough as 17. I have had pneumonia. I got dehydrated and lost 50 lbs in a couple weeks. I went from 185 down to 135. I was hospitalized, then throw in Covid.. aw hell no.

Now, having said that... I sure am glad that I don't have to look at all your ugly faces but I think the best part is your stinking breath is contained...somewhat.
 

mstateglfr

All-American
Feb 24, 2008
16,886
6,694
113
Don’t think kids are doing much diff than before. At least not the ones around us in our neighborhood. All hanging out playing no masks just as always

Mine play with some neighborhood kids without masks. They hang out with another group of friends with masks half the time and without masks half the time, depending on location. Then they have some friends that they have hung out with only with masks.
Its 50/50 if added all up, so definitely more mask use than before which was 0, but it also isnt an always situation.

If you include sports, then they are around their friends/peers with masks a lot more than without masks.
We just do whatever the other families are comfortable with and call it good. It seems half dont care and half do.
 
Last edited:

atomic dawg

Junior
Apr 4, 2019
262
235
43
If it matters my doctor in Florida said the exact same thing.

I have a 10 year old daughter. Since she was an infant she gets the flu at least every other year. She usually keeps a cold from Oct through March every year... which she typically passes to someone else in the family. This year with schools requiring mask, she hasnt even had a sniffle. No cough. No flu. Nothing. I dont like the idea of kids growing up wearing mask all the time, but its undeniable the impact its had on their health... and my HSA.
 

Dog316

Redshirt
Aug 21, 2012
404
2
18
You know what other virus I miss? 17ing Norovirus. When you go to the bathroom thirty times a day but each time you're not sure if you need to sit and brace for the squirts or bow before the throne to puke your guts out. Like beef macaroni night but it lasts two days.[

Some things are better left unsaid!
 

Dawgbite

Heisman
Nov 1, 2011
9,896
11,319
113
I don’t consider myself sickly but if someone in my house or my office gets sick, it’s me. My Dr s records over the past 15-20 years will show a fall and a spring visit for respiratory infections or something. This past year, nada, not the first sniffle. I don’t know if it’s the mask or if it my wife telling me ten times a day to wash my hands or if it’s just an anomaly. I can’t say how effective the mask has been but I personally think that it has helped. My personal opinion is that Tater Tot lifted the mask restrictions too early. The majority of Mississippi isn’t even eligible for the vaccine much less had the vaccine. Outdoor sports, open it up incrementally but keep the mask mandate. Six months ago I thought the mask mandate was stupid and useless but over the past three months I have seen otherwise healthy friends and friends of friends die from this. I’m not ready to go yet.
 

johnson86-1

All-American
Aug 22, 2012
15,178
5,721
113
You know why? Kids wearing masks. Kids spread flu like wildfire and with them distancing and masking at school it’s choked it down completely.

I seriously doubt it's kids wearing masks. They aren't wearing good masks for the most part and aren't wearing them correctly.

I'm guessing the schools aren't spreading flu a lot because of temperature checks. I suspect most of the people that would be spreading it in school are getting stopped before they enter the building.

And it's not getting spread elsewhere because now you can't just go around obviously feeling like **** and people not get pissed at you. People aren't going to work and telling themselves it's just a cold and aren't going to social functions despite feeling a little under the weather because they don't want ot be the person that spreads covid and gets criticized for it. Somewhat related, the only time I have had the flu in the last three decades some crazy lady went to a large social function when she had the flu and had a 101 fever in the morning. She took tylenol and felt better, so went and like 20 people got it just from that one function, and I'm sure a lot of them gave it to people, so just stopping one crazy lady from being an oblivious *** hole would have prevented probably 50-100 cases. I'm sure that crazy lady and others like her aren't being slowed down by this, but a lot of less crazy people probably are.

Just a guess on my part obviously, but I just have a hard time believing masks are making a dramatic difference with so few people wearing them correctly consistently.
 

mcdawg22

Heisman
Sep 18, 2004
13,652
12,156
113
Find a new doctor. The flu is here
I don’t need a new doctor to tell me things I see myself. My 9 year old has @ 10 kids she plays with and goes to school with. Every year since she was school age they passed around viruses and at least once a week one of those kids couldn’t play or wasn’t at the bus stop for being sick. This was the first Halloween in 4 years where every kid was able to go out because they weren’t sick. Aside from quarantine that hasn’t happened this year. The kids still behave the same here but I know they are wearing masks and washing hands at school so I’m pretty sure the Covid precautions have limited transmission.
 

kired

All-Conference
Aug 22, 2008
7,133
2,540
113
I agree it's not just the kids wearing masks. They are taking a ton of other precautions as well - and hopefully those will not be necessary after this school year is over, but there's no doubt it's help limit the spread of normal sickness. These are just from my kids in 5th & 1st grade:

- Kids / teachers wearing masks
- Temperature checks before entering school
- Desks are spread out. I know my oldest kid sat at tables of 4 up through at least the 3rd grade. Now my even first grader has his own desk spaced away from others.
- Classes are not mixing at all (at least in elementary). If someone's not in your class, you will never interact with them at school.
- Eating lunch in class rooms / not mixing with other classes at lunch.
- Playgrounds are closed. Individual classes do have time outside but aren't allowed to play on playground equipment. But again - the classes are isolated from each other.
- Hand sanitizer everywhere
- Fewer kids riding buses. A lot more parents are doing whatever it takes to drop off / pick up their kids.
 

mstateglfr

All-American
Feb 24, 2008
16,886
6,694
113
And it's not getting spread elsewhere because now you can't just go around obviously feeling like **** and people not get pissed at you. People aren't going to work and telling themselves it's just a cold and aren't going to social functions despite feeling a little under the weather because they don't want ot be the person that spreads covid and gets criticized for it.

For decades, my office's vacation and sick leave policy incentivized employees to show up to work even when sick.
Each half year, if you didnt call in sick, you were awarded a half day of PTO. So dont call in same day for the year and you get an extra day off. For years we would flat out tell management we felt like **** but wanted the PTO so here we are.

It was completely absurd, but we are an incentive/bonus/growth motivated company and this like so much else was based on incentivizing behavior. They finally changed the policy a couple years ago when we just got rid of sick time and lumped everything in as PTO because its all the same in the end anyways.
 

RotorHead

Senior
Mar 26, 2019
718
603
93
I don't wear a mask at work...nobody does. I don't have a mask in my car, used to, but just kinda phased out. I've only worn a mask when my wife made a big deal of it OR somebody specifically asked me to put a mask on. Didn't tell me, but politely asked. It's like the "no shoes, no shirt, no service" sign at a private business. But the way i see it is, if the Good Lord intends for me to leave this earth from a sickness, i'm going to go out from a sickness regardless of the mitigations I put in place to avoid it.
I don't care whether somebody else wears a mask or not. I think it should be left up to the individual, should've been that way all along. But it drives me nuts when somebody is bitching about others not wearing a mask and they themselves are wearing it incorrectly.
Ultimately, it's not the mandated mask wearing that is the problem. It's the symbolism behind it. The larger picture is how much reach big brother now has in his possession. Notice how flippantly governors and mayors have started issuing mandates and curfews that may be enforced with criminal charges/misdemeanors? These aren't laws being but in place by legislation, but one man/woman saying "do this or else."
It's simply a sign of more overreach on the horizon.
 

Shmuley

Heisman
Mar 6, 2008
24,324
12,301
113
It has been a really interesting game to play. Some things are just better left to the imagination.
 

johnson86-1

All-American
Aug 22, 2012
15,178
5,721
113
For decades, my office's vacation and sick leave policy incentivized employees to show up to work even when sick.
Each half year, if you didnt call in sick, you were awarded a half day of PTO. So dont call in same day for the year and you get an extra day off. For years we would flat out tell management we felt like **** but wanted the PTO so here we are.

It was completely absurd, but we are an incentive/bonus/growth motivated company and this like so much else was based on incentivizing behavior. They finally changed the policy a couple years ago when we just got rid of sick time and lumped everything in as PTO because its all the same in the end anyways.

Been a good while since I have had sick leave. Really like not having it. The bad employees managed to use exactly their sick leave each year. The good employees left a lot on the table. You do have people come to work sick because they don't want to burn their PTO while sick, but that's a better tradeoff to me than having the poor employees get better benefits than the good employees. And trying to account for that in other ways doesn't fix the problem because then people will feel like they is punishment for taking sick leave. Much easier to just tell people they get X days of PTO that they are free to use however they want.
 
Sep 25, 2013
1,627
0
0
I don’t get the point you are trying to make. Kids spread flu. Kids wear mask and kids don’t spread flu. If you have any teachers in your family/circle of friends then you would know that’s the case. Instead of smartass quips why don’t you enlighten us on your theories.

So COVID numbers rose during flu season but flu numbers dropped? Do the masks work or not?
 

GloryDawg

Heisman
Mar 3, 2005
20,656
19,410
113
It also covered up many ugly faces and keeps bad breath out of the air.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White Football Unpacking Mississippi State's offensive unraveling against Alabama
  2. 02 Maroon and White Football "Learning Moments": Mississippi State HC Jeff Lebby speaks on rough outing for QB Kamario Taylor
  3. 03 Maroon and White Football "We let ourselves down": Isaac Smith and Anthony Evans III speak on Mississippi State's defeat to Alabama
  4. 04 Maroon and White Rapid Recap: No. 7 Alabama 56-23 No. 16 Mississippi State
  5. 05 Maroon and White Football Live Updates: Mississippi State vs. Alabama