Thanks weather guys.

Motodawg

Senior
Apr 19, 2018
607
578
93
As I’ve said a few times, I’m a plumber. I knew about this weather 2 weeks ago because of you guys posting. It allowed me to make plans for the work and the schedule adjustments that needed to be made. Thank y’all for looking out for us. You guys have come through for me multiple times this year. I owe you a beer, for sure.
 

Hugh's Burner Phone

All-American
Aug 3, 2017
5,418
6,359
113
Winter storm warnings are now going up for a large section of north and western MS. Further East is greater chance of ice. Further west greater chance of snow mixing in.
 

Russ Wheeler

Redshirt
Aug 3, 2020
2,430
0
0
Winter storm warnings are now going up for a large section of north and western MS. Further East is greater chance of ice. Further west greater chance of snow mixing in.
Yep unfortunately I think this next one is gonna SUCK. At least it'll be warmer though, when all lose power.
 

Tomas Smid

All-Conference
May 4, 2010
2,010
2,408
113
As I’ve said a few times, I’m a plumber. I knew about this weather 2 weeks ago because of you guys posting. It allowed me to make plans for the work and the schedule adjustments that needed to be made. Thank y’all for looking out for us. You guys have come through for me multiple times this year. I owe you a beer, for sure.

Moto. What has been your experience with this latest cold snap? I believe its been a few years since we have had temps this cold for this length of time. Are you seeing many frozen and busted water pipes, assuming you work on these issues? Where people are having problems, what are you seeing that they did wrong? Thanks.
 

WestDawg

Redshirt
Aug 24, 2012
117
11
18
I have two outdoor spigots in the yard. I've never had either freeze up u til yesterday evening. Single digit weather and major wind got me this year. I'm hoping it only has damage at the head. I've had other spigots over the years that froze up but never burst so here's to hoping.
 
Nov 12, 2007
26,030
10,192
113
We are getting another round of ice and snow here in Texas tonight and tomorrow night and not about freezing until Friday.
 

kired

All-Conference
Aug 22, 2008
7,133
2,540
113
I believe January 2014 was the last time we had multiple really cold / single digit lows. Seems like there were 3 or 4 days were the lows got down to 8-12 degrees. Just didn’t have the frozen precipitation to go with it.
 

RocketDawg

All-Conference
Oct 21, 2011
20,059
2,812
113
I have two outdoor spigots in the yard. I've never had either freeze up u til yesterday evening. Single digit weather and major wind got me this year. I'm hoping it only has damage at the head. I've had other spigots over the years that froze up but never burst so here's to hoping.

I have the foam covers on my faucets. They don't do much for extended cold, but they keep the wind from cooling them down so rapidly for short cold periods. They're not all that effective for the cold that Mississippi and points west are experiencing now.

Are freeze-proof faucets required by code at least in the northern half of the state? They're supposed to work well and don't cost that much more.
 

hdogg

Senior
Nov 21, 2014
1,209
790
113
I grew up in Jackson, then 6 years MSU and 20 years in Austin and don't remember seeing anything like this. Maybe in 1994 spring break driving back from Co, but not this much snow this far south.
I built half an igloo in our yard the past 2 days. And I'm not kidding.
 

Russ Wheeler

Redshirt
Aug 3, 2020
2,430
0
0
I have two outdoor spigots in the yard. I've never had either freeze up u til yesterday evening. Single digit weather and major wind got me this year. I'm hoping it only has damage at the head. I've had other spigots over the years that froze up but never burst so here's to hoping.
No way to keep them from freezing if you don't have a valve behind it. I don't think the covers can stop in weather like we had last night. The good news is, a lot of those won't bust. And if they do, they bust outwardly.

ETA: I have actually had them freeze before, bust, then be fine once they thawed. Who can really tell.
 
Last edited:

patdog

Heisman
May 28, 2007
60,494
31,716
113
Me too. I've got an outdoor spigot that's frozen. It's frozen before with no problems. Just praying that's the case this time. Stupid to not get the insulating caps when they were cheap and available. I'm getting them whether the pipes are busted or not.
 

PineGroveBully

Redshirt
Nov 13, 2007
8,508
2
0
This seems hard to believe but some of you older guys may recall this. I looked up the record low temp in MS (was curious because I can sort of remember it being zero once, I was in elementary, 1989ish) and according to google the record low was -19 in Corinth in 1966. Is that believable? It’s on multiple sites.
 

SirBarksalot

Junior
May 28, 2007
2,994
284
83
Y’all have had it rough. Looks like today might be the worst of it. More FZRA and wind to follow. Recipe for disaster.

as for extended cold, I can’t remember the years, but I think early 80’s time frame, Ross Barnett Rez froze solid in places. Definitely enough to walk on ( not recommended) , and heard rumors that someone drove a jeep onto ice for a brief minute.
 
Nov 16, 2005
29,304
24,448
113
I remember 89, I was in first grade. It was -3 in Memphis but no telling what it got to out in the country where we lived.

In the field behind our house the beavers had built a dam and backed water out into it and it froze solid. We took a four wheeler and rope and pulled ourselves around on the ice.

January of 85 was cold. It got down around -8 in Memphis.

 
Last edited:

Sienfield

Redshirt
May 20, 2017
191
0
0
This seems hard to believe but some of you older guys may recall this. I looked up the record low temp in MS (was curious because I can sort of remember it being zero once, I was in elementary, 1989ish) and according to google the record low was -19 in Corinth in 1966. Is that believable? It’s on multiple sites.

I was telling a coworker last week that I remember the thermometer showing 0 when I was in high school. That was in south Mississippi and around the mid 60's (don't remember the year exactly). I don't know if that was the low but just remember noticing the thermometer at 0. The thermometer was on our back porch. So with Corinth at -19 that sounds about right.
 

TrueMaroonGrind

All-Conference
Jan 6, 2017
4,129
1,699
113
wait till it warms up a bit.

Some don't know they are busted, yet.

Our master shower cold water froze. Pipes are in the wall, so can’t really warm them up. I won’t know the damage until it warms up enough to unfreeze the line. Even then it’s all behind tile, so if it’s busted I’ll have to find some way to tell, maybe camp out in my crawl space after it thaws.
 

hdogg

Senior
Nov 21, 2014
1,209
790
113
Well thanks for your input, Mr Helper
But lots of records are being tied or broken in central Tx, like the longst # days below freezing, so some of this has either never happened, or not in my lifetime.
I was in Jackson for the 1989 freeze, and this easily rivals that but it's 3 hours further south.
So yes, I don't remember seeing anything like this and have always lived in the south, but was not in Corinth in 1933, or in Austin in 1937 when we got 11 inches of snow.
But feel free to nit-pick.
 

dawgstudent

Heisman
Apr 15, 2003
40,526
22,324
113
Where is the turds that won't flush thread? I need to read up on that one for ideas.
 

Drebin

Heisman
Aug 22, 2012
22,523
27,493
113
I remember 89, I was in first grade. It was -3 in Memphis but no telling what it got to out in the country where we lived.

In the field behind our house the beavers had built a dam and backed water out into it and it froze solid. We took a four wheeler and rope and pulled ourselves around on the ice.

January of 85 was cold. It got down around -8 in Memphis.





I enjoyed watching that video. Back in the good old days when the weather channel actually talked about the weather...
 

RocketDawg

All-Conference
Oct 21, 2011
20,059
2,812
113
This seems hard to believe but some of you older guys may recall this. I looked up the record low temp in MS (was curious because I can sort of remember it being zero once, I was in elementary, 1989ish) and according to google the record low was -19 in Corinth in 1966. Is that believable? It’s on multiple sites.

Yes it's correct. That same night in Huntsville was -11, Redstone Arsenal was -19, and the Alabama record was set in New Market (Madison County) at -27. New Market is a particularly cold place in NW Madison County, AL.

Huntsville also had -11, I think in 1985, but the last time zero was recorded here was in 1989. We've not had the temps you guys in Mississippi and west Tennessee have had. Our coldest official in this spell was 13 a couple of nights ago, and we've had very little frozen precip at all this week. Tonight may be different.
 

RocketDawg

All-Conference
Oct 21, 2011
20,059
2,812
113
I enjoyed watching that video. Back in the good old days when the weather channel actually talked about the weather...

And they did it 24/7 - that was in the days when Jim Cantore still had hair, and wasn't quite as narcissistic as he is now. Now they just do it during the day. To their credit, if there are weather events occurring, they still do live weather reports. Weather Nation, the other weather channel, still does weather 24/7.
 
Nov 16, 2005
29,304
24,448
113
Late night you had Dave Schwartz. That guy was hilarious. I read where he passed away a couple of years ago.
 

PineGroveBully

Redshirt
Nov 13, 2007
8,508
2
0
Well I wasn’t going to call you out as the “older guy” but you was who I had in mind when I asked the question. So thank you. And that’s insane, -19, it can warm 50 degrees and you’re still below freezing.
 

RocketDawg

All-Conference
Oct 21, 2011
20,059
2,812
113
Well I wasn’t going to call you out as the “older guy” but you was who I had in mind when I asked the question. So thank you. And that’s insane, -19, it can warm 50 degrees and you’re still below freezing.

Haha. If the shoe fits, wear it.

I've always had an interest in weather statistics, so I would have known even if I'd not experienced it. The conditions were very dry, very clear, no wind, and leading to very high radiation. It was very cold.

There were some times during the mid-70s that were very cold, but not all that much snow like you guys (and maybe us tonight) are having.

It was also quite cold in the early 60s. I was still in junior high then, but I remember my home town of Meridian getting down to 0 for the first time in their recorded history.
 
Last edited:

RocketDawg

All-Conference
Oct 21, 2011
20,059
2,812
113
I was telling a coworker last week that I remember the thermometer showing 0 when I was in high school. That was in south Mississippi and around the mid 60's (don't remember the year exactly). I don't know if that was the low but just remember noticing the thermometer at 0. The thermometer was on our back porch. So with Corinth at -19 that sounds about right.

There was an earlier cold spell, in the early 60s, when it got to 0 in Meridian. I know it wasn't '66 because I was already at MSU by that time, or possibly on a co-op work semester in Huntsville. I don't know what it did in Meridian in '66 - may have gone below 0.
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White Football Unpacking Mississippi State's offensive unraveling against Alabama
  2. 02 Maroon and White Football "Learning Moments": Mississippi State HC Jeff Lebby speaks on rough outing for QB Kamario Taylor
  3. 03 Maroon and White Football "We let ourselves down": Isaac Smith and Anthony Evans III speak on Mississippi State's defeat to Alabama
  4. 04 Maroon and White Rapid Recap: No. 7 Alabama 56-23 No. 16 Mississippi State
  5. 05 Maroon and White Football Live Updates: Mississippi State vs. Alabama