Summer Doldrums Thread: What's the Pack Reading?

CochiseCowbell

Heisman
Oct 29, 2012
15,642
14,457
113
Cochise Sr gave me a box of his books a few months ago to either keep or donate. Most were sports related, but among them I found the complete Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Holmes works Volumes I & II plus a collection of his other short stories. Great read so far.

2nd & Charles did not want "Vaught: Rebel Coach" nor do I know why my father had it. I also found two Wilbur Smith novels there I didn't have in my collection.

Am I the only one who likes to drink & read?
 

BigMotherTucker

Sophomore
Aug 20, 2006
6,805
199
63
I finished all 12 Zombie Fallout books by Mark Tufo. That book series is what the Walking Dead should be. Mix in some vampires for good measure. I am currently on book 4 of his Indian Hill series. Basic same characters but in an alternate reality where aliens, not zombies take over. I highly recommend them to anyone who enjoys the Walking Dead.
 

JungRebel

Redshirt
Aug 23, 2012
2,606
0
0
Children's Hospital by Chris Adrian at the moment. Pretty good, not sure if I would recommend, but a modern retelling of Noah's Ark for those who are interested.

Rereading the Blue Book by wittgenstein if anyone is interested in discussing it.
 

PBRME

All-American
Feb 12, 2004
11,378
5,422
113
Pride and Prejudice. An NCAA view into Ole Miss recruiting and culture.
 

TrueMaroonGrind

All-Conference
Jan 6, 2017
4,128
1,699
113
Just finished "Sleep No More" by Greg Iles. Pretty wild novel with an odd storyline, but I thought it was very suspenseful and very good. I also read "Sixth Man" by David Baldacci. It was a pretty run of the mill Baldacci story line. Lots of differnent perspectives and a few unexpected twists. I would still recommend it. Right now I am into "The Lightning Thief" by Rick Riordan. Jury is still out on it, but seems pretty good so far.
 

RivaDawg

Senior
Feb 26, 2008
887
433
63
Cochise Sr gave me a box of his books a few months ago to either keep or donate. Most were sports related, but among them I found the complete Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Holmes works Volumes I & II plus a collection of his other short stories. Great read so far.

2nd & Charles did not want "Vaught: Rebel Coach" nor do I know why my father had it. I also found two Wilbur Smith novels there I didn't have in my collection.

Am I the only one who likes to drink & read?

I haven't read much lately, but heard an interview with the author of "Everybody Lies". It's about the difference in what people say and what they search on Google. Sounded interesting.
 

SanfordRJones

Senior
Nov 17, 2006
1,358
455
83
I'm reading the Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson. It's supposed to be a must-read for all fantasy fans, and I've never read it. It's like Game Of Thrones on steroids.
 
Last edited:

Bulldogg31

Redshirt
Dec 9, 2013
8,263
0
0
Just reread Zen Golf by Joe Parent, pretty good book for golfer or non-golfer who's interested in awareness and dealing with adversities.

Also just finished Living With a Seal by Jesse Itzler. Really good, short funny read that will change the way you think about your workouts.
 

dawgdoug1962

Redshirt
Oct 14, 2013
279
8
18
"Fifth Witness" by Michael Connelly and "The Insider Threat" by Brad Taylor....waiting on the latest Lee Childs "Reacher" book
 

Avelso

Redshirt
Apr 20, 2014
105
0
0
Hillbilly Elegy also. I'm half way thru. Good read. Read Shoe Dog earlier and have a new respect for what it takes to start a new business.
 

Dawgbite

Heisman
Nov 1, 2011
9,872
11,268
113
Larry McMurtry 4 book series of which "Lonesome Dove" is the third book. I had never read the book but watched the movie countless times. I was up predawn one Sunday morning and turned on Encore Westerns to a movie that just happen to have Woodrow Call and Augustas McCrea as characters. After a little searching I found that Lonesome Dove was actually book three of four books in the series. Ordered the whole set on Amazon and I'm half way through the last book called Streets of Laredo. For those of you interested, Lauri darling finally marries one of the Hat Creek outfit, somebody died in Montana while Woodrow was hauling Gus all the way back to Texas, and the mini series "Return to Lonesome Dove" wasn't part of the original books.
 

MeridianDog

Freshman
Sep 3, 2008
3,226
80
48
IMO, Lonesome Dove may well be "The Great American Novel". One of a very few books I have ever read that I was upset when it ended. I have read all of the sequel books to LD and all are worthy of reading.
 

msudawg12

Senior
Dec 9, 2008
3,964
713
113
Currently:

Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson (Book 2 of Stormlight Archive - 10 Book series)
Works Well With Others - Ross McKammon
Power Of Habit - Charles Duhigg
 

msstatelp1

All-Conference
Aug 21, 2012
2,098
1,283
113
Bond, James Bond....realized that I'd seen the movies but never read the books they were based on.
 

Bdog9090

Redshirt
Aug 11, 2008
980
9
18
I'm reading the Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson. It's supposed to be a must-read for all fantasy fans, and I've never read it. It's like Game Of Thrones on steroids.

The series is probably my favorite fantasy series of all time. Starting it off can be a little rough, as he just kind of plops you into the world and doesn't really explain a lot. Most of it will be explained over the course of the series, though. The first three books in the series are amazing.

Side note: There is a guy names Ian C Esslemont, who helped create the world, and has written several books as well. I would say hold off on reading them unless you really want to continue on in the world. I found his writing to be terrible.
 

BigMotherTucker

Sophomore
Aug 20, 2006
6,805
199
63
The series starts with (book 1) a guy named Mike Talbot who is a former marine... Sarcastic... Wiseass... Survivalist who discovers the world has been overrun by zombies... Seemingly overnight. After the **** hits the fan, he makes it his mission to save his wife, two grown kids, and a 13ish third child. The first book focuses on his neighborhood of Little Turtle (I think... It's been several months since I started this series). I don't want to say to much to give anything away, but this book sucks you right in. And like I said... If you're a fan of the walking dead. By the end of the series, you wish TWD was more like this book series.
 
Last edited:
Apr 16, 2006
1,106
11
38
All The Gallant Men - Donald Stratton

A first hand account of a Pearl Harbor survivor, released just a few months back.

Along the same lines, if you're never read it, see "With The Old Breed" by E.B. Sledge- Sledgehammer in "The Pacific".

It's been out a while, but David McCollough's biography of the Wright brothers is a great read.
 

SanfordRJones

Senior
Nov 17, 2006
1,358
455
83
It took me a couple hundred pages in the first book before I had any idea what was going on. I'm halfway through the 2nd now and don't really feel lost anymore.
 

CougarArcher

Redshirt
Aug 22, 2012
104
0
0
Mississippi Blood - Third in Trilogy by Greg Iles.

Im on the Bone Tree now, I would recommend for anyone who has not read the Greg Iles Trilogy to start with the Whole Penn Cage story line to fully know who all the characters are and how it all come about:
The Quiet Game
The Turning Angel
The Devil's Punchbowl
Natchez Burning
The Bone Tree
Mississippi Blood

I would say that my favorite so far as been Turning Angel.
 

rem101

Sophomore
Jan 22, 2008
3,198
181
63
Currently reading "5 Presidents" by Clint Hill - Secret Service agent who served from Eisenhower to Ford. Pretty interesting if you're a history guy.

Next up I have "The Operator" by Robert O'Neill and "Dispatches from Pluto" by Richard Grant.
 

AlCoDog

All-Conference
Feb 27, 2008
5,870
1,435
113
"The Adventures of Foxy Reb" by Terry Warren. The book is terrible, but I've heard his retail business has seen a recent decline in sales, and I'm trying to help out small business.
 

Lettucexxxx

All-Conference
Oct 16, 2012
4,562
1,047
113
I bought "Plum Island" by Nelson DeMille for my mother as her birthday happy. I picked it up last Friday, as she recommended I read it. Prob start it tonight.
 

msudawg12

Senior
Dec 9, 2008
3,964
713
113
Im on the Bone Tree now, I would recommend for anyone who has not read the Greg Iles Trilogy to start with the Whole Penn Cage story line to fully know who all the characters are and how it all come about:
The Quiet Game
The Turning Angel
The Devil's Punchbowl
Natchez Burning
The Bone Tree
Mississippi Blood

I would say that my favorite so far as been Turning Angel.

Arguably my favorite series of books I've read. The ending of the Bone Tree tho......
 

Junction John

Redshirt
Oct 22, 2014
3,249
0
0
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State Week 5 Preview: Alabama Players to Know
  2. 02 Rivals Football Recruiting No. 16 Mississippi State hosts Alabama with a 2027 flip target, two elite QBs and other top prospects visiting
  3. 03 Rivals Football Recruiting How strong is CB Julian McDonald’s Mississippi State commitment with LSU still pushing?
  4. 04 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State QB Kamario Taylor named Davey O'Brien National QB of the Week
  5. 05 Maroon and White Football "No Panic": Mississippi State S Jardin Gilbert on experience and adaptability on defense