Start of Game(s)

HAWKNESS

Senior
Jul 6, 2025
258
485
63
I know everyone here is taking a loss to an elite team rationally and calmly but I do want to bring attention to a problem going back to last year. The start of games. Especially the bigger the game. For whatever reason we play very poorly out of the gates often digging a hole. Why do you think that is and how do we just win every game wire to wire?

1 change I'd like to make is stop receiving the ball. It' s more common to start like yesterday than it does with a score.
 

Unclesammy

Sophomore
Feb 1, 2006
62
112
33
I know everyone here is taking a loss to an elite team rationally and calmly but I do want to bring attention to a problem going back to last year. The start of games. Especially the bigger the game. For whatever reason we play very poorly out of the gates often digging a hole. Why do you think that is and how do we just win every game wire to wire?

1 change I'd like to make is stop receiving the ball. It' s more common to start like yesterday than it does with a score.
When you have a poor offense, why do you want the ball first ?
 

Slappy Pappy

Sophomore
Nov 24, 2007
72
138
33
I thought our offense played fine in the first half, good enough to take the lead minus two mistakes: Brown's fumble at our own 14, and a lineman lining up a few inches too far back negating a first down in fg range instead giving Ohio just enough time to drive the field for a td.
 

UIAlumFireFighter

All-Conference
Sep 26, 2018
1,391
2,067
113
I know everyone here is taking a loss to an elite team rationally and calmly but I do want to bring attention to a problem going back to last year. The start of games. Especially the bigger the game. For whatever reason we play very poorly out of the gates often digging a hole. Why do you think that is and how do we just win every game wire to wire?

1 change I'd like to make is stop receiving the ball. It' s more common to start like yesterday than it does with a score.
It’s not about the loss.

It’s about how bad we were in the loss.

Under 200 yards passing. Under 50 yards rushing. Gimme a break.
 

Lionhawk85

Senior
Jun 8, 2022
201
470
63
Death, taxes, and Iowa received the opening kickoff under KF. KF ALWAYS chooses to receive and other teams wisely choose to defer.

I think KF has the last drive of the game in mind when he chooses to receive as he wants to be able to choose which direction to go in the second half. Not joking. Everyone else in the universe would rather score before half and then score after half.
 

Hawkfan_08*

All-American
Jul 2, 2025
3,651
9,728
113
I know everyone here is taking a loss to an elite team rationally and calmly but I do want to bring attention to a problem going back to last year. The start of games. Especially the bigger the game. For whatever reason we play very poorly out of the gates often digging a hole. Why do you think that is and how do we just win every game wire to wire?

1 change I'd like to make is stop receiving the ball. It' s more common to start like yesterday than it does with a score.

I think everyone has wanted to make this change for the last 15 years.

Maybe KF thinks the defense can get a 3 and out and get the ball back in a better spot.
 
  • Like
Reactions: HAWKNESS

oldxbbc

All-American
Sep 19, 2013
1,930
7,470
113
I think in previous years wed eclined recieving the ball first if we won the toss. I was all in favor of taking the ball first this year in the beginning. Have changed my mind and think we should take the ball at start of second half if given the opportunity. fwiw
 

Palmerhawk

All-Conference
Jul 3, 2025
2,240
4,460
113
This KF quirk has bugged me for awhile.

Take the ball only if wind is a big factor.
That's it.
Otherwise follow the 95% of coaches who defer every time.
This one call is where KF shows his stubborn old man side...change,KF!
 

iahawkeyes17

All-Conference
Apr 22, 2014
861
2,164
83
Death, taxes, and Iowa received the opening kickoff under KF. KF ALWAYS chooses to receive and other teams wisely choose to defer.

I think KF has the last drive of the game in mind when he chooses to receive as he wants to be able to choose which direction to go in the second half. Not joking. Everyone else in the universe would rather score before half and then score after half.
Drives me nuts too. One thing if we have the 02’ offense but generally speaking we are a below avg unit. Never made sense to me why he does it.

especially in 16’ against Illinois the game after we upset Michigan. Very cold windy day. Iowa won toss and we chose to defer and pick which end. Illinois got the kickoff both halves. Luckily blunder was mostly forgotten due to Iowa winning 28-0.
 

HAWKNESS

Senior
Jul 6, 2025
258
485
63
I haven't always hated starting with the ball. If you can drive field and get points I like the psychological advantage it can have. Minnesota of last year for example we did that and it snowballed for them. but mostly last 2 years in big games we've completely shot ourselves in foot to start.

Iowa State 2025- 3 and out, short punt Iowa state takes over 1st and 10 at midfield

Indiana 2025- 2nd play interception. Indiana takes over on Iowa 25

Penn State 2025- 3rd play interception. Penn state takes over at Iowa 35

Oregon 2025- 3 and out, short punt. Oregon ball at midfield

Iowa State 26- Turnover on downs Iowa State takes over at midfield

Ohio State 26- 2nd play fumbe, Ohio State takes over at Iowa 20.

I'm sure some of these games Iowa didn't win the toss or have the choice. The first offensive series needs to get cleaned up in general but when Iowas at home with a juiced crowd in particular I think it would be wise if it's your choice you kick and let the crowd become a factor.
 

DuddyB

All-Conference
Jul 14, 2022
2,020
3,563
113
I think it comes down to Kirk likes predictability. If he knows that regardless of who wins the coin toss, he’s always gonna start with the ball, it sets every game to start out the same way for him and the team.
 

UIAlumFireFighter

All-Conference
Sep 26, 2018
1,391
2,067
113
When you have a poor offense, why do you want the ball first ?
Kirk doesn’t know how poor his offense is.

His boys could gain a total of 0 yards during any given possession and he’d be yelling “Good job guys” as they come jogging off the field for the punt team.
 
Hawkeye Report

Latest

  1. 01 Rivals Football Recruiting Whispers from out West: ACC, Big Ten, Big 12 and SEC visits resonate with several from the region
  2. 02 Hawkeye Report Football Hank Brown listed as starter in Iowa's two deeps
  3. 03 Hawkeye Report Football Iowa Football Opponent Preview: Washington Huskies
  4. 04 Hawkeye Report Football Recruiting Which Iowa recruits plan to enroll early?
  5. 05 Hawkeye Report Football The Chuck Long Podcast