I have a rudimentary understanding of short sales....i.e. i know how it's done and the premise. I'm watching dogecoin now (i bought 15,000 shares 3 months ago before it was the target and subject of Reddit members this week).
Here's my question on short sales........If I own a stock in a poorly performing company, why would I agree to "loan" it to a hedge fund manager for a fee if I know the hedge fund manager's only intent is to drive the price of my stock down so that when they give it back to me, it's worthless or worth much less? Why am I agreeing to that?
Also, the concept of the hedge fund manager "borrowing" my stock. They're going to sell it immediately and then re-purchase it at a later date to return to me. How are they selling something that they don't own if it was "borrowed". That seems really sketchy.
I guess what I'm getting at, is this whole thing seems WAY sketchy and if the feds and SEC really wanted to prevent this debacle from happening again, why not just make it illegal to do short sales? Or at the very least, limit the amount of shares that can be "Borrowed" and sold in a short sale?
Here's my question on short sales........If I own a stock in a poorly performing company, why would I agree to "loan" it to a hedge fund manager for a fee if I know the hedge fund manager's only intent is to drive the price of my stock down so that when they give it back to me, it's worthless or worth much less? Why am I agreeing to that?
Also, the concept of the hedge fund manager "borrowing" my stock. They're going to sell it immediately and then re-purchase it at a later date to return to me. How are they selling something that they don't own if it was "borrowed". That seems really sketchy.
I guess what I'm getting at, is this whole thing seems WAY sketchy and if the feds and SEC really wanted to prevent this debacle from happening again, why not just make it illegal to do short sales? Or at the very least, limit the amount of shares that can be "Borrowed" and sold in a short sale?