SEC transfer rule is eliminated

Nov 16, 2005
29,235
24,294
113
I’m more concerned with the big boys cherry picking from other SEC schools than I am the other way around.
 

TrueMaroonGrind

All-Conference
Jan 6, 2017
4,126
1,684
113
I’m more concerned with the big boys cherry picking from other SEC schools than I am the other way around.

Alabama would never illegally contact and recruit players on our roster. They follow the rules. ****************************************
 

57stratdawg

Heisman
Dec 1, 2004
148,684
24,532
113
Us losing Reese to UF hurt last year. I know the circumstances were different, but it would be brutal if Charles Cross and Matt Corral suddenly went to Florida and Alabama.
 

Bill Shankly

Redshirt
Nov 27, 2020
2,095
0
0
Us losing Reese to UF hurt last year. I know the circumstances were different, but it would be brutal if Charles Cross and Matt Corral suddenly went to Florida and Alabama.

I know what you are getting at but Ole Miss is almost literally the only school in the USA that would take Corral. USC is my second team....
 

Russ Wheeler

Redshirt
Aug 3, 2020
2,430
0
0
Cherry-picking starters is not going to happen much. Players who are starting usually do not take another chance somewhere else, and what coach is really going to guarantee a starting job if they transferred in? That's an easy way to lose your program.

Someone mentioned Reese going to Florida, well, he didn't like the new offense and wanted to play in Mullen's. That's the type thing this rule is for.

I think we'll get many, many more decent players off Alabama's bench, than they'll cherry-pick from our starting ranks. At least at the SEC level. G5 teams are likely in trouble.
 

Russ Wheeler

Redshirt
Aug 3, 2020
2,430
0
0
I know what you are getting at but Ole Miss is almost literally the only school in the USA that would take Corral. USC is my second team....
Maybe 3 years ago when he was a recruit, but not now. Everybody would want him at the moment, he's probably going to be a first rounder. But either way, it proves my point that these guys aren't going to transfer to a blue blood unless something extraordinary happens, like Kiffin leaving.
 

ronpolk

All-American
May 6, 2009
9,426
5,357
113
Cherry-picking starters is not going to happen much. Players who are starting usually do not take another chance somewhere else, and what coach is really going to guarantee a starting job if they transferred in? That's an easy way to lose your program.

Someone mentioned Reese going to Florida, well, he didn't like the new offense and wanted to play in Mullen's. That's the type thing this rule is for.

I think we'll get many, many more decent players off Alabama's bench, than they'll cherry-pick from our starting ranks. At least at the SEC level. G5 teams are likely in trouble.

I agree that is the spirit of the rule and geared to make things more fair for the players when situations change for them. But I don’t believe for a second that if Alabama wakes up short on receivers that someone like Walley may get recruited behind the scenes.
 

johnson86-1

All-American
Aug 22, 2012
15,155
5,705
113
I know what you are getting at but Ole Miss is almost literally the only school in the USA that would take Corral. USC is my second team....

They were one of very few P5 programs that would have taken him originally. He's done well enough now that more would be willing to put up with him.
 

Russ Wheeler

Redshirt
Aug 3, 2020
2,430
0
0
I agree that is the spirit of the rule and geared to make things more fair for the players when situations change for them. But I don’t believe for a second that if Alabama wakes up short on receivers that someone like Walley may get recruited behind the scenes.
I get why folks may be worried. But think about it - Alabama is never going to wake up short on 'talent', there will always be someone there even if unproven. Once you get into the season, there aren't going to be many transfers once they figure out some of their 4 and 5 star recruits can't play. And if a guy like Walley is good enough, he's going pro in 3 years and they aren't giving up the system that got them noticed. If I am worried about anyone, it'd be the 5th year seniors that you invest in and develop, but again, I still don't think they leave if the system fits them and they are starting. Could you really see Dak leaving MSU between 2014 and 2015? I can't. The guy has the maturity to come back for his senior year, he isn't going to take a risk by switching programs (again, unless his coach leaves).

I'm telling you, this isn't going to be some rampant thing.
 
Last edited:

johnson86-1

All-American
Aug 22, 2012
15,155
5,705
113
I get why folks may be worried. But think about it - Alabama is never going to wake up short on 'talent', there will always be someone there even if unproven. Once you get into the season, there aren't going to be many transfers once they figure out some of their 4 and 5 star recruits can't play. And if a guy like Walley is good enough, he's going pro in 3 years and they aren't giving up the system that got them noticed. If I am worried about anyone, it'd be the 5th year seniors that you invest in and develop, but again, I still don't think they leave if the system fits them and they are starting. Could you really see Dak leaving MSU between 2014 and 2015? I can't. The guy has the maturity to come back for his senior year, he isn't going to take a risk by switching programs (again, unless his coach leaves).

I'm telling you, this isn't going to be some rampant thing.

It's not going to be rampant, but it can still be brutal.

If you've got a freshman star on a 6-6 team at a position of need for Bama, and he decides he wants a championship, that's brutal when you're trying to build a program.

I do think we should be in a position where we get a lot more players from blue bloods than we lose to them, but we are mostly going to get average players (which granted can be a big boost when they are filling a hole) but if we lose a player, it will probably be a star.
 

NWADawg

Senior
May 4, 2016
1,225
731
113
Alabama would never illegally contact and recruit players on our roster. They follow the rules. ****************************************

That's why you hardly ever see flags thrown against them. They are very disciplined in their rule following. *****
 

Shmuley

Heisman
Mar 6, 2008
24,312
12,260
113
This will make it much easier for Bama to get to 85 without the ridiculous "medical hardship" ********.
 

8dog

All-American
Feb 23, 2008
15,069
7,298
113
So can you participate in spring practice at Auburn and then go to Bama in the fall? Thats seems absurd.
 

Russ Wheeler

Redshirt
Aug 3, 2020
2,430
0
0
It's not going to be rampant, but it can still be brutal.

If you've got a freshman star on a 6-6 team at a position of need for Bama, and he decides he wants a championship, that's brutal when you're trying to build a program.

I do think we should be in a position where we get a lot more players from blue bloods than we lose to them, but we are mostly going to get average players (which granted can be a big boost when they are filling a hole) but if we lose a player, it will probably be a star.
How many of those have we had in the last 10 years? I can't remember any bonafide freshmen stars. Bumphis, Banks....they played but wouldn't rise to this level. Simmons maybe? Chris Jones? But they could have went to Alabama out of the gate if they wanted. By the time they truly came out, they were sophomores and had only one year left, and they weren't leaving. We have Walley now, and again, he ain't leaving.

I get your point though, but overall I think this is a net positive for us.
 

ronpolk

All-American
May 6, 2009
9,426
5,357
113
I get why folks may be worried. But think about it - Alabama is never going to wake up short on 'talent', there will always be someone there even if unproven. Once you get into the season, there aren't going to be many transfers once they figure out some of their 4 and 5 star recruits can't play. And if a guy like Walley is good enough, he's going pro in 3 years and they aren't giving up the system that got them noticed. If I am worried about anyone, it'd be the 5th year seniors that you invest in and develop, but again, I still don't think they leave if the system fits them and they are starting. Could you really see Dak leaving MSU between 2014 and 2015? I can't. The guy has the maturity to come back for his senior year, he isn't going to take a risk by switching programs (again, unless his coach leaves).

I'm telling you, this isn't going to be some rampant thing.

I agree it won’t be rampant
 

Go Budaw

Redshirt
Aug 22, 2012
7,321
0
36
How many of those have we had in the last 10 years? I can't remember any bonafide freshmen stars. Bumphis, Banks....they played but wouldn't rise to this level. Simmons maybe? Chris Jones? But they could have went to Alabama out of the gate if they wanted. By the time they truly came out, they were sophomores and had only one year left, and they weren't leaving. We have Walley now, and again, he ain't leaving.

I get your point though, but overall I think this is a net positive for us.

Who says they have to be freshmen?

Dak could have transferred to Bama his senior year and won a natty. Think about all the great defensive guys we’ve had. Simmons, Cox, Abram, Sweat, etc. All could have decided they wanted a natty or at least a shot at a division title. Or, maybe, just an upgraded care package for their final season. Just another step in the destruction of the competitiveness of college football for all but about 5-10 elite schools.
 

johnson86-1

All-American
Aug 22, 2012
15,155
5,705
113
How many of those have we had in the last 10 years? I can't remember any bonafide freshmen stars. Bumphis, Banks....they played but wouldn't rise to this level. Simmons maybe? Chris Jones? But they could have went to Alabama out of the gate if they wanted. By the time they truly came out, they were sophomores and had only one year left, and they weren't leaving. We have Walley now, and again, he ain't leaving.

I get your point though, but overall I think this is a net positive for us.

And of course we keep talking about Bama, but the real problem for us will be tampering by Ole Miss and to a lesser extent Auburn. We won't often have people Bama wants that are interested in going to Bama, but we have pretty consistently had players that were borderline character risks their first year or two that turned out pretty good, but that if there was a booster from Ole Miss or Auburn whispering in their ear giving them a seemingly easy way out of accountability, could have gone the other way.
 

Russ Wheeler

Redshirt
Aug 3, 2020
2,430
0
0
Who says they have to be freshmen?

Dak could have transferred to Bama his senior year and won a natty. Think about all the great defensive guys we’ve had. Simmons, Cox, Abram, Sweat, etc. All could have decided they wanted a natty or at least a shot at a division title. Or, maybe, just an upgraded care package for their final season. Just another step in the destruction of the competitiveness of college football for all but about 5-10 elite schools.
I've already explained a situation similar to Dak in this thread. Feel free to go back and read, but if you just want to freak out and be horribly pessimistic, that's your prerogative.

It's just not going to happen that much. Why didn't Matt Corral go to Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, Florida, Texas A&M? We all know he's got questionable character, so if someone was going to do it, why not him? The answer is what I've explained already, and also this little thing called team loyalty that, despite the negativity of Joe Blow Fan, many of the kids still have.

Some of this is already happening, what with all the transfers like Justin Fields being ruled immediately eligible for the blue bloods. The most egregious was the dude from Houston that went to Miami, but there again, that's a G5 moving up to a bigger stage.
 

Russ Wheeler

Redshirt
Aug 3, 2020
2,430
0
0
And of course we keep talking about Bama, but the real problem for us will be tampering by Ole Miss and to a lesser extent Auburn. We won't often have people Bama wants that are interested in going to Bama, but we have pretty consistently had players that were borderline character risks their first year or two that turned out pretty good, but that if there was a booster from Ole Miss or Auburn whispering in their ear giving them a seemingly easy way out of accountability, could have gone the other way.
I could certainly see our peer teams being a bigger problem, but there again, it's going to be depth guys. And I would imagine we could replace them just as easily as they could leave.
 

PirateDawg

Redshirt
Jan 9, 2020
1,751
0
0
Yes, Ole Saban can now re-recruit the ones that got away or go after the redshirts that develop.
 

Go Budaw

Redshirt
Aug 22, 2012
7,321
0
36
I've already explained a situation similar to Dak in this thread. Feel free to go back and read, but if you just want to freak out and be horribly pessimistic, that's your prerogative.

It's just not going to happen that much. Why didn't Matt Corral go to Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, Florida, Texas A&M? We all know he's got questionable character, so if someone was going to do it, why not him? The answer is what I've explained already, and also this little thing called team loyalty that, despite the negativity of Joe Blow Fan, many of the kids still have.

Some of this is already happening, what with all the transfers like Justin Fields being ruled immediately eligible for the blue bloods. The most egregious was the dude from Houston that went to Miami, but there again, that's a G5 moving up to a bigger stage.

Why’s Corrall not going to Bama? Uh, probably because he couldn’t beat out Bryce Young, as anyone could tell you. Similar story with most other programs. He’s as well positioned at OM as he would be at an A&M or an Auburn as far as winning.

And “questionable character” has nothing to do with it. All these guys have a limited window to either showcase their skills at the highest level, win championships, improve their financial situation, or all of the above. It’s in no way a character flaw to transfer to another school to do any of those things.
 

Drebin

Heisman
Aug 22, 2012
22,449
27,285
113
I've already explained a situation similar to Dak in this thread. Feel free to go back and read, but if you just want to freak out and be horribly pessimistic, that's your prerogative.

It's just not going to happen that much. Why didn't Matt Corral go to Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, Florida, Texas A&M? We all know he's got questionable character, so if someone was going to do it, why not him? The answer is what I've explained already, and also this little thing called team loyalty that, despite the negativity of Joe Blow Fan, many of the kids still have.

Some of this is already happening, what with all the transfers like Justin Fields being ruled immediately eligible for the blue bloods. The most egregious was the dude from Houston that went to Miami, but there again, that's a G5 moving up to a bigger stage.

Wait, are you saying Matt Corral stays at Ole Miss out of loyalty?

I submit that it has more to do with Kiffin running the perfect offense for him. If Kiffin had taken the Auburn job, Corral would have followed him there.

Corral has no loyalty to Ole Miss.
 

johnson86-1

All-American
Aug 22, 2012
15,155
5,705
113
I could certainly see our peer teams being a bigger problem, but there again, it's going to be depth guys. And I would imagine we could replace them just as easily as they could leave.

If Ole Miss or Auburn are chasing them, it likely won't be depth guys. It will be promising young players that are swayed by some illicit recruiting when they don't like being held accountable by their current coaches or just aren't the stars they expected to be right off. It will be fabien Lovetts and Jarien Jones. Some of those will end up being addition by subtraction, lots will end up being losing future starts. I suspect when they were younger players, when they weren't being allowed to coast on ability, Nick James and Josh Robinson would have been willing to listen to someone tell them it was just Mullen's fault. Hell, Aeris Williams might have been willing to listen when he was watching Brandon Holloway get carries up the middle while he sat the bench.
 

Russ Wheeler

Redshirt
Aug 3, 2020
2,430
0
0
Wait, are you saying Matt Corral stays at Ole Miss out of loyalty?

I submit that it has more to do with Kiffin running the perfect offense for him. If Kiffin had taken the Auburn job, Corral would have followed him there.

Corral has no loyalty to Ole Miss.
I agree with all of that. I think you misread the post (or I may not have explained perfectly, as I'm talking in generalities). Wasn't saying Corral specifically, just saying that IS a logical reason to add in the long line of why this transfer rule will not send college sports to hell.
 
Last edited:

Russ Wheeler

Redshirt
Aug 3, 2020
2,430
0
0
Why’s Corrall not going to Bama? Uh, probably because he couldn’t beat out Bryce Young, as anyone could tell you. Similar story with most other programs. He’s as well positioned at OM as he would be at an A&M or an Auburn as far as winning.

And “questionable character” has nothing to do with it. All these guys have a limited window to either showcase their skills at the highest level, win championships, improve their financial situation, or all of the above. It’s in no way a character flaw to transfer to another school to do any of those things.
Insert any blue blood program you dense 17er. Or any high level player for that matter.
 

Russ Wheeler

Redshirt
Aug 3, 2020
2,430
0
0
If Ole Miss or Auburn are chasing them, it likely won't be depth guys. It will be promising young players that are swayed by some illicit recruiting when they don't like being held accountable by their current coaches or just aren't the stars they expected to be right off. It will be fabien Lovetts and Jarien Jones. Some of those will end up being addition by subtraction, lots will end up being losing future starts. I suspect when they were younger players, when they weren't being allowed to coast on ability, Nick James and Josh Robinson would have been willing to listen to someone tell them it was just Mullen's fault. Hell, Aeris Williams might have been willing to listen when he was watching Brandon Holloway get carries up the middle while he sat the bench.
Soooo.....depth guys? That we can replace? And already have.

You also have to factor in we had a coaching change.......which is a PRIME reason why we have this rule.
 
Last edited:

johnson86-1

All-American
Aug 22, 2012
15,155
5,705
113
Soooo.....depth guys? That we can replace? And already have.

Well, for one, I don't think anybody ever really refers to starters as depth guys.
Second, I also am not sure guys in the two deep at positions where you consistently play two players like RB and DL are really what should be considered depth guys. If they have to play a lot and are better than the alternatives, that's not really just depth.
Third, lots of guys are good as juniors and seniors that were just depth as freshmen and sophomores. You're losing future production, not past production.
Fourth, we often can't even replace average seniors that leave where we presumably should have someone waiting in the wings. That's how we end up with glaring holes in our roster. If it were so easy to just grab an average SEC player for any position, we wouldn't have had so many times where we were playing below average players.

Maybe the transfer rule will change the qualityh of transfers we get as in the past, our transfers have typically at best filled a hole with a slightly below average player.
 

RocketDawg

All-Conference
Oct 21, 2011
19,982
2,762
113
So the emphasis on what was supposedly student/athlete is now ATHLETE/student.
 

Russ Wheeler

Redshirt
Aug 3, 2020
2,430
0
0
Maybe the transfer rule will change the qualityh of transfers we get as in the past, our transfers have typically at best filled a hole with a slightly below average player.
100%. I think we'll see the benefits of that THIS year.

I am glad that Leach, with his conservative nature, is completely embracing the transfer portal. Adapt or die, I guess.
 

Russ Wheeler

Redshirt
Aug 3, 2020
2,430
0
0
So the emphasis on what was supposedly student/athlete is now ATHLETE/student.
The universities have no one to blame for that except themselves. They started pushing athletes into easy degree programs 40 years ago. It's worse for the non-revenue sports.
 

SheltonChoked

Redshirt
Feb 27, 2008
1,786
0
0
Meanwhile Alabama as a 5* soph RB that gets 1 carry in the spring game and can come play for us as a Jr, or a top100 lb that isn't getting the playing time...

https://www.rollbamaroll.com/2021/6...Robinson, a rising junior,A-Day game in April.

I'd pay attention to which of the Top players are not getting as much PT. For example Bama has 3 Freshman Tackles, only 2 can play. One might want to get out.

LSU was a dumpster fire. If it is again, Who on else might want to get out. Maybe a WR from Jackson?
 

SheltonChoked

Redshirt
Feb 27, 2008
1,786
0
0
I think starters moving will be rare, unless it's a horrible situation or the coach leaves. (The LSU tight end fits this).

What you will see more of is backups looking to find somewhere to play.

Leach's system of rotating 8-9 WR will help us. We may lose some, but we will get some too. and if you are 9+ deep in the depth chart, it might be the right move for all to move on.
 

Russ Wheeler

Redshirt
Aug 3, 2020
2,430
0
0
Meanwhile Alabama as a 5* soph RB that gets 1 carry in the spring game and can come play for us as a Jr, or a top100 lb that isn't getting the playing time...

https://www.rollbamaroll.com/2021/6...Robinson, a rising junior,A-Day game in April.

I'd pay attention to which of the Top players are not getting as much PT. For example Bama has 3 Freshman Tackles, only 2 can play. One might want to get out.

LSU was a dumpster fire. If it is again, Who on else might want to get out. Maybe a WR from Jackson?
Exactly.
 

Irondawg

Senior
Dec 2, 2007
2,965
620
113
There is going to be some give and take but I don’t think you’ll know the overall
Impact for a few years.

I don’t think the portal has been particularly good for college basketball
 

Go Budaw

Redshirt
Aug 22, 2012
7,321
0
36
Meanwhile Alabama as a 5* soph RB that gets 1 carry in the spring game and can come play for us as a Jr, or a top100 lb that isn't getting the playing time...

https://www.rollbamaroll.com/2021/6...Robinson, a rising junior,A-Day game in April.

I'd pay attention to which of the Top players are not getting as much PT. For example Bama has 3 Freshman Tackles, only 2 can play. One might want to get out.

LSU was a dumpster fire. If it is again, Who on else might want to get out. Maybe a WR from Jackson?

Cool. We’ll take the guys that can’t hack it at those schools. They’ll cherry pick some of the very, very few we have that can make it at their school. And yes, some will be straight up bought out from us, because it’s going to be a whole new round of recruiting. It’s a bad tradeoff.
 

SheltonChoked

Redshirt
Feb 27, 2008
1,786
0
0
How many starters have left via the transfer portal? Nationwide?

Now subtract dumpster fires and coaching changes.

How many now?
 

Go Budaw

Redshirt
Aug 22, 2012
7,321
0
36
How many starters have left via the transfer portal? Nationwide?

Now subtract dumpster fires and coaching changes.

How many now?

How many have left thus far is an irrelevant comparison....there has been the one year sit rule in place (usually waived for the two situations you mentioned). Now, all obstacles have been removed and it’s going to be much more of a free for all.
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Rivals Football Recruiting Wiltfong Whiparound: Mega prediction for Kentucky; Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi State all made big recruiting moves in week four
  2. 02 Maroon and White Football Sunday Notebook: No. 24 Mississippi State 31-24 No. 19 Mizzou
  3. 03 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State's defense bends without breaking again
  4. 04 Maroon and White Mississippi State PFF Grades from 31-24 win over Mizzou
  5. 05 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State's Week 5 date with No. 8 Alabama set for early window