Schiano's Response When Asked About Rivalry With PSU

mildone_rivals

Heisman
Dec 19, 2011
55,607
51,273
0
I very much appreciated Schiano's response, in his game week presser, when he was asked about rivalries with PSU or MD. I have a feeling some of you aren't going to like it much, if at all. But to me, it's an honest and realistic assessment. And it sets out the task ahead for all to understand.

Here's the video, queued up to where he answers...

 
Last edited by a moderator:

mildone_rivals

Heisman
Dec 19, 2011
55,607
51,273
0
I'll add that, while I'm waiting for the season to conclude before engaging in any crow consumption, what I've seen so far from Schiano since his hiring has gone a long way towards assuaging some of my fears about the hire. He's a changed person, a changed coach, since he was last here. And, so far, changed in what appear to be some good ways.

For sure I have more hope than I have had about the program in a long time.
 

newell138

Heisman
Aug 1, 2001
38,278
50,458
112
its like the big brother. We think its a rivalry but they don't. Hopefully w/ GS we start winning more than once every 35 years. I was single and the same age as one of my daughters the last time we beat them.
 
A

anon_ivydyf0amkzay

Guest
its like the big brother. We think its a rivalry but they don't. Hopefully w/ GS we start winning more than once every 35 years. I was single and the same age as one of my daughters the last time we beat them.
Back in A10 days, it was nice M/WBB rivalry...those were fun times at the RAC...
 
  • Like
Reactions: Turtle31

mildone_rivals

Heisman
Dec 19, 2011
55,607
51,273
0
There is no rivalry...last we beat them the 20th century had almost 12 years to go...it’s 2020...give it some thought!!
And, as Schiano points out, beating them once or twice will not convey rivalry status upon us. Rivalries are born of regularly competitive, close, hard-fought contests. We have regional closeness, so a future rivalry is possible in that sense. But we have to raise the level of the program, particularly in terms of consistency, before a true rivalry can emerge.

I like what he said (and I'm paraphrasing here) about how people can't just declare a rivalry. They have to evolve from what happens on the field.
 

JavaDunk18

All-Conference
Sep 11, 2011
1,102
1,014
0
Basketball is a rivalry with them..Football is not...Yet
If we win 2 or 3 of the next 5 meetings ( which I think we have a chance to), then we can resume the conversation
 
  • Like
Reactions: RU05

cicero grimes

All-American
Nov 23, 2015
8,359
8,886
0
Just like Syracuse. We did not have a rivalry with them until we started beating them. Win a few against PSU and the hatred will flow.
 

Mr. Magoo1

Heisman
Nov 15, 2001
15,568
16,477
113
Wish he had dismissed them they way Penis-head did to us when he claimed he didn’t know we were next on the schedule.
 

AreYouNUTS

Heisman
Aug 1, 2001
125,340
59,948
113
Sorry but there are plenty rivalries across the nation that were lopsided for 20-70 years, that were never competitive to begin with, simply based on borders and whatnot. Can’t agree with Greg on this one or anyone else. A lot of “coach speak” right there, during game week, which makes sense.

No reason whatsoever we can have a “trophy game” with Maryland if not Penn state. None. That series has been good and a lot of fun as well. Let’s get a trophy and turn it into a rivalry game. Pretty simple.
 
  • Like
Reactions: ruready07

knight82

All-American
Nov 4, 2002
8,597
9,314
113
Sorry but there are plenty rivalries across the nation that were lopsided for 20-70 years, that were never competitive to begin with, simply based on borders and whatnot. Can’t agree with Greg on this one or anyone else. A lot of “coach speak” right there, during game week, which makes sense.

No reason whatsoever we can have a “trophy game” with Maryland if not Penn state. None.
"trophy game" should be with Maryland. Both joined the league at the same time
 

czxqa

All-American
Oct 31, 2008
8,654
6,911
113
its like the big brother. We think its a rivalry but they don't. Hopefully w/ GS we start winning more than once every 35 years. I was single and the same age as one of my daughters the last time we beat them.
Crap, I just did the math and same here. I was 19, same age as my oldest now.
 

sct1111

All-American
Nov 30, 2014
6,145
8,459
113
I think we should play one of Syracuse, BC or UConn every year. Those were our rivals.
 
A

anon_ivydyf0amkzay

Guest
The only true rival we ever had: Princeton...which is never happening again.
State penn and MD are the only real possibilities
 

RU848789

Heisman
Jul 27, 2001
65,439
44,456
113
I very much appreciated Schiano's response, in his game week presser, when he was asked about rivalries with PSU or MD. I have a feeling some of you aren't going to like it much, if at all. But to me, it's an honest and realistic assessment. And it sets out the task ahead for all to understand.

Here's the video, queued up to where he answers...


Not queued up, but good interview - PSU comments are around the 10 minute mark and I agree it's not a rivalry, especially for them. Yet. But I think it will start to be soon with us improving and PSU struggling. Also what did you do wrong that needed the moderator to edit your post?
 

MADHAT1

Heisman
Apr 1, 2003
32,019
16,811
113
Fan-bases make rivalries in their head, but the real rivalries are earned on the field.
Rutgers fans want to be considered Penn States rivasls, but until the Scarlet Knights start making the Nits sit up and take notice because Rutgers has proved tobe their equal on the feild, the riverly will be one sided and Nit fans won't consider Rutgers a threat meaning they won't be as wound up as Rutgers fans will be and consider Michigan and OSU as rivals, not RU.

It's a rivalry they can be a good one, but for now RU being Maryland's rival is more likely for the short term and both fanbases aren't very interested in having that rivalry in my opinion
 
  • Like
Reactions: satnom

RU05

All-American
Jun 25, 2015
15,209
9,465
113
Basketball is a rivalry with them..Football is not...Yet
If we win 2 or 3 of the next 5 meetings ( which I think we have a chance to), then we can resume the conversation
If we win Saturday we’ll have PSU’s attention. It won’t take much to get a rivalry going with them.
Ya, because the stakes are such that if we start winning vs PSU, we also start winning those recruits that often go to PSU.

I also think winning vs PSU get's the NYC media looking at and pumping up RU, and and that would piss off PSU. As well as speeding up the above process.
 
  • Like
Reactions: RU-AGK

PSAL_Hoops

Heisman
Feb 18, 2008
14,243
13,564
78
I agree with the concept of what he said - but I think it probably only takes one win to get the hype up (at least temporarily) since the annual game is a mandatory conference game. Remember - it’s not like WVU vs. Marshall or something where the minute “little brother” gets competitive, fans of “big brother” just want out of the contract. The rematch is a given so the only option is to seek revenge.
 

RU05

All-American
Jun 25, 2015
15,209
9,465
113
Granted, we do need to win one. At this point we are still in the wanna be stages for rivalry with PSU.
 
  • Like
Reactions: RUB1GTime

ScarletDave

Heisman
Oct 7, 2010
34,714
15,607
85
Eh. To me a rivalry transends the on-field action between the lines. Like UConn, we beat them handily for most of the last few years we played them. But I still despise their fans, the school and all their sports teams. The same can be said for Rutgers alumni and Penn State alumni. It is a natural rivalry. They MAY like to say out loud that we are not their rivals, but trust me .... PSU fans hate Rutgers with a burning passion. It's not an equivalent football rivalry (kind of like Rutgers over Temple), but there is no love lost between the fan bases.

Anyone from PSU that tries to say they view Rutgers the same as Illinois, Purdue or "just any other" Big Ten school is totally lying, period. Just because our team hasn't won lately doesn't mean they don't hate us. And we hate them
 

mildone_rivals

Heisman
Dec 19, 2011
55,607
51,273
0
Not queued up, but good interview - PSU comments are around the 10 minute mark and I agree it's not a rivalry, especially for them. Yet. But I think it will start to be soon with us improving and PSU struggling. Also what did you do wrong that needed the moderator to edit your post?
Apparently, a moderator removed the time spec in the media link. It WAS queued up. It is not anymore. Cant really think why a mod would’ve done that.
 
  • Like
Reactions: RUB1GTime

satnom

All-American
Jun 28, 2002
7,331
9,317
88
There’s a huge potential for a real rivalry. Border states, migrating residents originally from other state (more from NJ towards PA than other way), talent rich recruiting area with nod to NJ more years than not, densely pop state v rural spread out state, coastal state versus inland state, not only high level athletes but high level students are recruited over, Institutional rankings, diverse student body v non-diverse student body, families with graduates from both schools, etc.

Let’s face it RU fandom has had PSU football envy with all their past successes until it discovered during GS I that NJ too had its own DIA football program that could compete with the big boys in a deteriorating conference but now it’s different. GS II now has access to more resources at RU within the same conference with big brother PSU and is showing that RU is turning things around sooner than most thought.

A win this Sat against PSU can be the first real step towards creating a real rivalry with that state school from Pennsylvania.

GO RU
 
  • Like
Reactions: RUB1GTime
The Knight Report

Latest

  1. 01 On3 Football Senate passes Protect College Sports Act, sends bill to House
  2. 02 The Knight Report Football Everything Curt Cignetti said ahead of the Indiana / Rutgers game
  3. 03 The Knight Report Early Recruit Visitor list for Rutgers Football versus Indiana
  4. 04 On3 Football College Football Hot Seat: USA Today identifies coaches facing mounting pressure
  5. 05 The Knight Report Football ESPN FPI projects Rutgers Football's 2026 schedule - Week Four