RIP Iron Mike

nu2u

All-Conference
Aug 10, 2006
10,660
3,266
113
A Legend for sure. Most will remember Coach Ditka and the Super Bowl Bears but he had a fabulous career as a Tight End with more than 400 catches for almost 6,000 yards and more than 40 TDs.

Visited his Chicago restaurant about 15 years ago -,great food. The staff said we missed him by about 10 minutes….. the story of my life.
 
  • Like
Reactions: LaQuintaHawk

WeBeHerkin

All-American
Aug 5, 2016
5,231
5,939
113
 
  • Like
Reactions: LaQuintaHawk

WeBeHerkin

All-American
Aug 5, 2016
5,231
5,939
113
Jim McMahon just had a interview thing with Sean Salisbury online and you need to watch that. Jim talks about a lot of stuff. Mentioned he went to Bears office when they drafted him and he sat for an hour and finally asked the secretary where Halas was and she said he was taking a nap. Jim got pissed and told her to go wake him up. Said went in and Halas had the contract and Jim looked at it and crumpled it up and threw it at him. Dude was a renegade.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Kceasthawk@77

DukeSlater

All-American
Jul 2, 2023
2,279
5,159
113
A Legend for sure. Most will remember Coach Ditka and the Super Bowl Bears but he had a fabulous career as a Tight End with more than 400 catches for almost 6,000 yards and more than 40 TDs.

Visited his Chicago restaurant about 15 years ago -,great food. The staff said we missed him by about 10 minutes….. the story of my life.
The thing I remember most clearly about Ditka is the way he used to destroy anyone who dared to try and tackle him. He was a TE but he played like a runaway locomotive. Ditka loved the contact of football, and he loved being an offensive player who dished it out to the defense. Watch some YouTube highlights. He was a monster.
 

nu2u

All-Conference
Aug 10, 2006
10,660
3,266
113
The thing I remember most clearly about Ditka is the way he used to destroy anyone who dared to try and tackle him. He was a TE but he played like a runaway locomotive. Ditka loved the contact of football, and he loved being an offensive player who dished it out to the defense. Watch some YouTube highlights. He was a monster.
Mike Ditka was the answer to the question of what would happen if Dick Butkus played TE.
 
  • Like
Reactions: LaQuintaHawk

85Bears

All-American
Aug 31, 2019
5,974
6,373
108
Came to my house for a fundraiser when I was in college, he Took questions and I asked him if they were going to draft a fullback to replace Matt Suhey as he was getting old, He got pissed off and gave a sarcastic response. Our local town reporter asked him what his golf handicap was and he rolled his eyes and said “I don’t do any night putting”, …Ed Obradovich, Bears O lineman was with him.
 
Last edited:

Hawksfor3

All-American
Dec 5, 2016
8,525
9,655
113
Came to my house for a fundraiser when I was in college, he Took questions and I asked him if they were going to draft a fullback to replace Matt Suhey as he was getting old, He got pissed off and gave a sarcastic response. Our local town reporter asked him what his golf handicap was and he rolled his eyes and said “I don’t do any night putting”, …Ed Obradovich, Bears O lineman was with him.
Dad knew O'Bradovich when he worked at Soldier Field.
 

1inamillion

All-Conference
Oct 1, 2001
934
1,347
93
Came to my house for a fundraiser when I was in college, he Took questions and I asked him if they were going to draft a fullback to replace Matt Suhey as he was getting old, He got pissed off and gave a sarcastic response. Our local town reporter asked him what his golf handicap was and he rolled his eyes and said “I don’t do any night putting”, …Ed Obradovich, Bears O lineman was with him.
Hope to meet him in heaven. Ne
Came to my house for a fundraiser when I was in college, he Took questions and I asked him if they were going to draft a fullback to replace Matt Suhey as he was getting old, He got pissed off and gave a sarcastic response. Our local town reporter asked him what his golf handicap was and he rolled his eyes and said “I don’t do any night putting”, …Ed Obradovich, Bears O lineman was with him.
Hope to meet him in heaven. Never enjoyed the nfl like the hawks until the 85 bears. He embodied the da bears. NEver enjoyed the nfl like the hawks until the 85 bears. He embodied the da bears.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 85Bears

HawksRule25

All-American
Sep 8, 2023
5,477
7,654
113
The thing I remember most clearly about Ditka is the way he used to destroy anyone who dared to try and tackle him. He was a TE but he played like a runaway locomotive. Ditka loved the contact of football, and he loved being an offensive player who dished it out to the defense. Watch some YouTube highlights. He was a monster.
 

rchawk

Heisman
Oct 27, 2001
75,133
10,120
113
I will point out that the first Iron Mike in Iowa was Mike Enich from Boone, IA. He started at tackle for the famous 1939 Ironmen team. No doubt Nile Kinnick gained a lot of yards behind Iron Mike's blocks.
 
Hawkeye Report

Latest

  1. 01 Hawkeye Report Olympics Play-by-play recap: Iowa 15 Kansas 10 (F/16)
  2. 02 Hawkeye Report Football PFF Grades - Iowa defense vs Washington
  3. 03 Hawkeye Report Football PFF Grades - Iowa offense vs Washington
  4. 04 Hawkeye Report Football Snap Counts - Iowa defense vs Washington
  5. 05 Hawkeye Report Football Snap Counts - Iowa offense vs Washington