Rick Byrd with Cal at practice

bballcat4

All-Conference
Jan 12, 2008
4,177
4,470
0
They tried but he didn’t want the UT job. He’s an older coach, established in Nashville, Nashville is arguably a better community, etc. He’s the king of Belmont basketball.

The UT offer was after Pearl or Tyndale. He interviewed for the job when they hired Buzz Peterson. That was big miss on UT’s side. Byrd would still be coaching UT twenty years later if they would’ve hired him then.

Don’t blame him for staying at Belmont after the last few hires.
 

awsharb

Sophomore
Nov 28, 2012
176
149
43
Good article in the Tennessean a couple of days ago. Mike Hamilton former AD almost hired him but hired Cuonzo instead. Bryd was 57 at the time and was coming off 4 th NCAA appearance and had almost beat Duke in tourney.
I think lost by 1 point. Byrd would have taken it as it would have set his family up for life with the salary. He grew up in Knoxville. Belmont cannot pay much, He is a great coach.
 

RACdad

Heisman
Mar 8, 2005
10,136
10,234
113
Some...... P5 rejects. I live here, see and love Byrd and Belmont, 100% for them unless they were to play UK. Belmont doesn't take academic rejects.
like some state schools do.
I'm guessing you didn't see my original reply to another poster. And I also live in the area.
 
KSR

Latest

  1. 01 KSR Football House of Blue Hot Take Review dreams big after Kentucky's massive win over LSU
  2. 02 Rivals Football Recruiting 'Kentucky is definitely a program I could see myself at,' says Vanderbilt commit Allen LA Evans
  3. 03 KSR Football National reactions to Kentucky's upset over LSU: '(UK) is a legitimate CFP Contender'
  4. 04 KSR Volleyball No. 4 Kentucky VB fights off Ole Miss in four sets
  5. 05 KSR Football Kentucky fans dunked on LSU's sideline goal and then stole their basketball