Rankin Co Superintendent Race

jb1020

Freshman
Jun 7, 2009
1,866
87
48
Since the Hawkins thread appears to be civil I figure one more thread for election day can't hurt.

I've attempted independent research on this, but there just isn't much out there.

Any insight from anyone? Morrison or Townsend?

I've heard people say Morrison will go in and clean house, then I've heard people say he's just a Weathersby pawn.

I haven't really heard anything about Townsend. I'm a 39047 guy so that has me leaning towards the guy that's been at NWR since the 1990's.

I don't like being clueless when stepping into the booth.
 

ababyatemydingo

All-Conference
Nov 27, 2008
4,042
3,023
113
Richard M played baseball for Boo Ferriss and Delta State. Recently divorced his wife of 25 years and married his secretary right away. Although, his X was BSC, so I can somewhat see why. Word was that the affair had been going on for years. That's hearsay, though.
 

seshomoru

Senior
Apr 24, 2006
5,655
439
83
Seems to be a Brandon vs NWR thing going on.... again.

Townsend was a principal for a while in the Brandon zone I believe. A teacher that worked for her said she hated her, but what she hated about her would make her a good supe. Don't really know what that means. I voted Morrison because my wife, and nearly every other teacher she knows thought he was a great principal. Being there that long in the Weathersby administration doesn't automatically make you a Weathersby stooge either. Plus, the NWR zone needs new infrastructure and we need it ten years ago. I'm hitching to the guy who's been there and seen how bad it has gotten. Although... It's not going to really disappoint me no matter who gets elected. They won't have the strangle hold Weathersby had and could get voted out fairly easily. There won't be any "don't you want to stay employed?" pressure that leads to uncontested races anymore. Plus... I think appointments are in the near future.
 

jb1020

Freshman
Jun 7, 2009
1,866
87
48
I lean Morrison for those reasons

He was at NWR practically the entire time I was, he always seemed like a decent guy. I feel like he has to show a little favoritism to the NWR side of things. which seems to be in more need than the Brandon side...and NWR and Flowood definitely bring in the money.

I'm sure either one will be an upgrade.
 

GloryDawg

Heisman
Mar 3, 2005
20,632
19,339
113
Since the Hawkins thread appears to be civil I figure one more thread for election day can't hurt.

I've attempted independent research on this, but there just isn't much out there.

Any insight from anyone? Morrison or Townsend?

I've heard people say Morrison will go in and clean house, then I've heard people say he's just a Weathersby pawn.

I haven't really heard anything about Townsend. I'm a 39047 guy so that has me leaning towards the guy that's been at NWR since the 1990's.

I don't like being clueless when stepping into the booth.

voted for Tounsend. She was principle at Stone Bridge Elementary when my son was there. She was great and really cared about the kids and was always available to talk to the parents. Stone Bridge is in the Brandon School Zone and I think she was a teacher in the NW Rankin school zone. I also go to church with a teacher from the Florence school zone and she said that’s who most of the teachers are pulling for her.
<o:p </o
One of the guys running was Lynn Weatherbys right hand man. Stay away from him.
 
Last edited:

ShrubDog

Redshirt
Apr 13, 2008
5,307
3
38
Someone very close to me,who has been in state education for 40 years, met with all 3 candidates.

The only one who had a clear platform and vision was Franklin. The others were not clear on some issues.
 

Faustdog

All-Conference
Jun 4, 2007
4,177
2,733
113
Morrison is Weathersby's guy. Townsend is a former Brandon principal that most teachers liked. I really don't care as long as the Brandon schools continue to receive their preferred status.
 

Dawgfann77

Redshirt
Oct 9, 2013
39
0
0
Morrison is weatherby right hand. If you want status quo then vote for him. Just cause he has NWR ties means nothing
 

DawgNsuds

Senior
Jun 4, 2007
955
685
93
Just to clear a few things, Richard did not marry his secretary, he married Heather. They both had been divorced for some time prior to them dating and while I knew her she was a principal and curriculum director. You might also like to know that she is part of the MSU family with her father being a prominent part of our faculty. Richard is not a Weatherby clone and will represent the county well when elected.
 

LawDawg97

Redshirt
Sep 7, 2012
1,138
0
0
This is 100% correct.

Just to clear a few things, Richard did not marry his secretary, he married Heather. They both had been divorced for some time prior to them dating and while I knew her she was a principal and curriculum director. You might also like to know that she is part of the MSU family with her father being a prominent part of our faculty. Richard is not a Weatherby clone and will represent the county well when elected.

The affair that was mentioned above was not Richard's doing, it was his first wife. It is also laughable how people call him a Weathersby clone. He is only his right-hand in the sense that he works for him and reports to him. Of course he has to work at the direction of his boss. I wouldn't worry that Weathersby will be pulling Morrison's strings once he is gone and Morrison doesn't answer to him anymore.

I don't have anything bad to say about the other 2, I just know that some of this stuff being thrown around about Morrison is wrong.
 

whosyourdawgy

Redshirt
Jan 23, 2011
1,585
5
38
Just to clear a few things, Richard did not marry his secretary, he married Heather. They both had been divorced for some time prior to them dating and while I knew her she was a principal and curriculum director. You might also like to know that she is part of the MSU family with her father being a prominent part of our faculty. Richard is not a Weatherby clone and will represent the county well when elected.

Morrison is a Black Bear by the way. I'm voting for Townsend not because he isn't a state guy but because I think Townsend will do what is right for the students be damned what any outside influence is out there. She hasn't smoozed with all the politicians and won't act like one when decisions need to be made and will do what is best for the students and the schools. Just my opinion. But with all of Morrison's connections with those folks and him being Weathersby's man regardless of what any of you say, he is gonna be hard to beat. I think we need a new direction and Townsend will be that for certain. I'm not too sure that Morrison will change anything. I want what's best for my kids and I just think she is it
 

Shmuley

Heisman
Mar 6, 2008
24,315
12,275
113
Richard strikes me as slightly more professional and slightly more prepared for the task. Just my observation. I have nothing against the Townsend lady. It jusy seems Richard is the better candidate.
 

MagnoliaHunter

All-Conference
Jan 23, 2007
1,813
1,518
113
wouldnt vote for townsend if she was running against the devil

She was the principal when my son was going to elementary. One of the kids in my son's class was stealing out of all of the other kids lunches and taking their drinks and pouring them in the kids' backpacks. All of the kids and even the teacher told her what was going on but she would not discipline the kid who was the son of one of townsend's friends. She told me face to face that she knew the kid and that there was no way he would do something like that and that all of the kids and the teacher were lying. This same kid got kicked out of daycare for slapping the teacher. At the end of the year, my son missed a final exam because he was in the hospital having surgery at the time of the exam. We even called the school that morning to tell them that he would not be there and why. she was not going to let him take the final until my brother who is a partner in a law firm got involved.
 

whosyourdawgy

Redshirt
Jan 23, 2011
1,585
5
38
Just to clear a few things, Richard did not marry his secretary, he married Heather. They both had been divorced for some time prior to them dating and while I knew her she was a principal and curriculum director. You might also like to know that she is part of the MSU family with her father being a prominent part of our faculty. Richard is not a Weatherby clone and will represent the county well when elected.

Just to clarify your clarification. She wasn't his secretary. She was an assistant principal at NWR under him and then head of curriculum under him when he was assistant super at the right hand of Weathersby. And they got married in less than a year after he was divorced if you can consider that a long time.
 

Dawgfann77

Redshirt
Oct 9, 2013
39
0
0
Morrison is a Black Bear by the way. I'm voting for Townsend not because he isn't a state guy but because I think Townsend will do what is right for the students be damned what any outside influence is out there. She hasn't smoozed with all the politicians and won't act like one when decisions need to be made and will do what is best for the students and the schools. Just my opinion. But with all of Morrison's connections with those folks and him being Weathersby's man regardless of what any of you say, he is gonna be hard to beat. I think we need a new direction and Townsend will be that for certain. I'm not too sure that Morrison will change anything. I want what's best for my kids and I just think she is it

Yup. Great and accurate post
 

whosyourdawgy

Redshirt
Jan 23, 2011
1,585
5
38
The affair that was mentioned above was not Richard's doing, it was his first wife. It is also laughable how people call him a Weathersby clone. He is only his right-hand in the sense that he works for him and reports to him. Of course he has to work at the direction of his boss. I wouldn't worry that Weathersby will be pulling Morrison's strings once he is gone and Morrison doesn't answer to him anymore.

I don't have anything bad to say about the other 2, I just know that some of this stuff being thrown around about Morrison is wrong.

Not that this matters but you are saying that the ex wife is the one that had the affair? That is 100 percent inaccurate and you need to go ask your sources again on that one. There is no truth in any of that statement whatsoever. Your second statement is debatable as well but can at least be argued.
 

615dawg

All-Conference
Jun 4, 2007
7,279
4,795
113
I am very close to this race and hear me out.

Franklin is the best candidate for the position. But he has no chance.

Morrison divorced his wife and married his mistress, who is also a high level administrator at RCSD now. If you want more of the same, Morrison is your man.

Townsend is as dirty as they come, woefully not qualified for superintendent, and is basically threatening everyone who has shown support for Weatherby/Morrison. She's aligned herself with Tanya Crain, an ousted administrator and they are hell bent on serving their personal vendettas.
 

ShrubDog

Redshirt
Apr 13, 2008
5,307
3
38
You are correct. He is way more qualified than the others but that doesn't matter. He laid out his goals very nicely on his website if folks are still wondering what he is aiming for.
 

DawgNsuds

Senior
Jun 4, 2007
955
685
93
This thread started with quoting the hope for civility, apparently some ignored that request. It is unfortunate that some have cast false accusations of infidelity which are totally unfounded. There are some, all one one side of the argument, that have casts these accusations. If you are for Sue, I think she would be better served if you were to favor her for her positions and experience, not by slinging mud against her opponent. I know Richard Morrison well and he is hard working and principled man. I know Sue Townsend as she was my daughters Principal. Based on my experience with both, I choose to support Richard Morrison.
 

whosyourdawgy

Redshirt
Jan 23, 2011
1,585
5
38
This thread started with quoting the hope for civility, apparently some ignored that request. It is unfortunate that some have cast false accusations of infidelity which are totally unfounded. There are some, all one one side of the argument, that have casts these accusations. If you are for Sue, I think she would be better served if you were to favor her for her positions and experience, not by slinging mud against her opponent. I know Richard Morrison well and he is hard working and principled man. I know Sue Townsend as she was my daughters Principal. Based on my experience with both, I choose to support Richard Morrison.

I'm guessing that is toward my responses a little. I never said anything about extramarital affair, don't know if it happened and don't care. All I did was post what I do know. And I also said why I voted for Townsend but that I thought Morrison would win. And he may do an excellent job. Change is coming w Weathersby finally stepping aside. Here is hoping whoever it is makes Rankin County schools better than they already are and keeps our kids first in their decisions. That's all I want. I don't care who it is.
 

ababyatemydingo

All-Conference
Nov 27, 2008
4,042
3,023
113
Just because you know someone doesn't mean that they can't lead a secret life. Just because someone is hard working doesn't mean that they can't live a secret life. It does, however, play into his character. His affair WAS going on for quite some time. It was with a subordinate. That subordinate was a subordinate in two different capacities over a long period of time. They married well less than a year after he divorced his wife. You stick your head in the sand all you want to. Makes no difference to me. You can't argue facts, though.
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White Football "No Panic": Mississippi State S Jardin Gilbert on experience and adaptability on defense
  2. 02 Rivals Football Recruiting How Kamario Taylor's success is helping Mississippi State recruit top quarterbacks
  3. 03 Maroon and White Football Jett Jefferson's early impact elevating Mississippi State secondary
  4. 04 Maroon and White Football "I gotta give it all I got": Mississippi State WR Anthony Evans III on crucial 4th quarter catch
  5. 05 Maroon and White Football Points of Focus from Mississippi State HC Jeff Lebby heading into Week 5