Random thought on NIL

usc-lurker

Redshirt
Mar 15, 2002
5
6
3
Is it possible that sometime in the future the classifications (D I-A, D I-AA, D II, D III) will be by NIL budget dollars rather than the traditional approach (number of scholarships given, number of sports supported etc. etc.).

I know I am using the old category names but I am old in my mind the Dodgers and still in Brooklyn.
 

Uscg1984

All-Conference
Mar 9, 2006
2,732
3,558
113
I don't think so, because the reason we have NIL is because the SCOTUS said you can't prevent a person from profiting off their name, image, or likeness. If you can't prevent it, then you likely also can't limit or restrict it. Besides, I suspect beyond the top 10 or so FCS (D 1-AA) programs, I doubt anybody at the lower levels are getting any NIL money.
 

bayrooster

All-American
Aug 21, 2003
15,627
8,036
113
I don't think so, because the reason we have NIL is because the SCOTUS said you can't prevent a person from profiting off their name, image, or likeness. If you can't prevent it, then you likely also can't limit or restrict it. Besides, I suspect beyond the top 10 or so FCS (D 1-AA) programs, I doubt anybody at the lower levels are getting any NIL money.
A lot of people getting paid for NIL probably aren't selling any merch with their name, image, or likeness on it.
 
Oct 11, 2015
754
739
93
A lot of people getting paid for NIL probably aren't selling any merch with their name, image, or likeness on it.
Exactly right. Thats why NCAA players never went to XFL or Europe where they would get all fhe NIL they wanted, because THEIR name/image isnt worth anything without that Ohio State/ND/Miami logo on their helmet
 

Uscg1984

All-Conference
Mar 9, 2006
2,732
3,558
113
A lot of people getting paid for NIL probably aren't selling any merch with their name, image, or likeness on it.
No doubt, that's probably 99% of the NCAA NIL recipients. It's all a fraud. But its also impossible to police.
 
GamecockCentral

Latest

  1. 01 GamecockCentral Football Breaking down South Carolina's turnover problem
  2. 02 GamecockCentral Football Shane Beamer shares update on transfer kicker Ethan Sanchez: 'It doesn't seem promising'
  3. 03 GamecockCentral Football Shane Beamer talks slow start for Nyck Harbor in senior season at South Carolina
  4. 04 GamecockCentral Football How South Carolina's offense stacks up statistically with the rest of the SEC
  5. 05 GamecockCentral Football South Carolina EDGE Dylan Stewart returns to practice