I agree that the parents are most likely overreacting.
I disagree that high school athletics is just an "activity."
In my mind, an "activity" is something like two 10-year old boys climbing trees or two people going for a walk.
In an "activity," there's no winner or loser . . . score isn't kept . . . the only concerns are having fun and not getting hurt.
That would be very different from the high school basketball and baseball games I played. There was a winner and loser . . . score was kept . . . and we intensely wanted to win.
Did you play any high school sports?
If so, then how important to you was winning the game?
(I'm just curious. Different people have different opinions on the same issue.)
- yes I played high school sports.
- athletics is no more important an activity than show choir, band, drama club, etc. All are extra curricular activities. That means they are activities the school provides in addition to education.
- your definition of 'activity' sucks. Get a new definition.
- even if you separate athletics from all other activities, it does not make them inherently more important to a school. A school can be known for its debate team(competition in an activity!), it's plays and musicals, or it's band. My high school had a laughably ****** football program and a marching band that brought home national competition trophies(uh oh, competition in an activity again!). Marching band was clearly more respected and well known than the football program.
- how badly kids want to win when playing a sport has no bearing on if that sport is more important to the school than other activities.
The superintendent that ran the high school I attended also oversaw 5 other high schools. That's 6 high schools overall.
That sup isn't loyal to a single school for athletics because it's his job to 17ing educate.
He oversaw the education of almost 12000 students.
https://www.d214.org/domain/434#:~:...huler is in his 21st year as a superintendent.
I get that the school structure I am referencing isn't how it's done where you grew up. Where I live now, there is a ton of eye rolling small town school pride where this sort of dumb scenario would likely happen because Bubba who still longs for the best years of his life is upset his high school has been 'disrespected' by the new guy.
Bubba doesn't realize the new guy is responsible for running a 17ing district in its entirety and athletics is a small part of it. A basketball team of 12 kids is no more important than a drama club or a debate team.
On a relates note, Bubba's lack of understanding priorities is partially why Bubba's best yesrs of his life were when he was in high school.