Question about QB arm strength

thatsbaseball

All-American
May 29, 2007
18,387
7,434
113
Asking because I've just never paid attention in the past. How much does a QB's arm strength typically (if that's the right word) increase year by year after he gets on a collegiate weight plan ? I am a 100% Rogers fan but he could use a little more "zing" on his throws IMO. Will this happen with the right trainer ?
 

Russ Wheeler

Redshirt
Aug 3, 2020
2,430
0
0
Asking because I've just never paid attention in the past. How much does a QB's arm strength typically (if that's the right word) increase year by year after he gets on a collegiate weight plan ? I am a 100% Rogers fan but he could use a little more "zing" on his throws IMO. Will this happen with the right trainer ?
Rogers is fine. He's got great touch too. He's better than I thought he would be. But to answer your questions, I would imagine they gain SOME strength/stamina, but in my experience what you see is what you get in college. They aren't going to magically throw harder.
 

Ralph Cramden

Redshirt
Jan 7, 2020
2,696
0
0
He can put zip on it when he wants to but thats not always how you complete passes. As far as the weight program yes...thats why you see all these QB with the big guns. Hell....a couple times I thought Corral was "The Rock" but then I saw his hair and was like " oh yeah...thats Matt Corral"
 

thatsbaseball

All-American
May 29, 2007
18,387
7,434
113
Oh I agree on Rogers. I think he has every single intangible and I wouldn't trade for anyone at this point. I was just wondering if the right combination of training regimens (weights, throwing technique and of course practice) would get him in a little better shape to throw it down field...if not I'm good with him just like he is. I really like that kid...he's a winner.
 

philduckworth

Redshirt
Feb 20, 2015
2,228
0
0
Oh I agree on Rogers. I think he has every single intangible and I wouldn't trade for anyone at this point. I was just wondering if the right combination of training regimens (weights, throwing technique and of course practice) would get him in a little better shape to throw it down field...if not I'm good with him just like he is. I really like that kid...he's a winner.

It's a good question. I don't think many people measure football arm strength like they do baseball Velo. If you can increase baseball velo with the right training program it's reasonable to think you can increase football arm strength.

I remember Brady saying that he spent an entire offseason working on his deep throws and he said he noticed it helped his arm strength. So maybe Will should get on some sort of football long toss program combined with the proper strength training. Couldn't hurt.
 

thatsbaseball

All-American
May 29, 2007
18,387
7,434
113
Just seems like a predominantly passing offense needs a legit deep threat to keep defenses "honest".
 

Russ Wheeler

Redshirt
Aug 3, 2020
2,430
0
0
Just seems like a predominantly passing offense needs a legit deep threat to keep defenses "honest".
Are you asking why we aren't throwing it deep, or are you asking if Rogers can do it?

The answer to the first is that they are playing drop 8, so we are taking the easy stuff, which should open up a deep ball now and then - but we just aren't good enough yet.

The answer to can Rogers do it....yes, and if there's anything he could improve on, it's the touch on those, rather than zing. When I say zing, he's not JaMarcus Russell, but you don't really need to be. There is only so much arm strength you need. Even Matt Corral is bordering on that land of no returns.
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White Mississippi State Bye Week Checklist: What Needs Work?
  2. 02 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State Bye Week Watchlist
  3. 03 Maroon and White Mississippi State Basketball tipoff times finalized
  4. 04 Rivals Basketball Recruiting Mississippi State, Maryland & UCF talking visits with 4-star forward K'Nard Callendar
  5. 05 Maroon and White Football "Fine line": Mississippi State HC Jeff Lebby speaks on managing health and preparation