Pronouncing Veilleux

CVLion

All-Conference
Oct 13, 2021
1,158
2,390
113
I thought it was pronounced “VAY-yoo.”

The announcers the last few weeks seemed to be saying “VAY-yer.”

Anyone know for sure what is correct?
 

NittPicker

Heisman
Jun 30, 2001
6,602
14,105
113
He must be using the mid-Atlantic pronunciation; French pronounce it 'o'.....


From my French classes a long time ago, I can remember certain vowel combinations taking a lot of work since some of the differences between them are very subtle.

But I get why Veilleux can be VAY-yer, in which the "r" sound originates on the back of the tongue. I think that's the English influence. If you say VAY-yer with the "r" sound originating in the middle of the tongue (or forward) then it sounds a lot more French. But that's just the observations of a guy who finds that sort of thing to be interesting.
 
  • Love
Reactions: LionJim

Midnighter

Heisman
Jan 22, 2021
12,797
21,257
113
From my French classes a long time ago, I can remember certain vowel combinations taking a lot of work since some of the differences between them are very subtle.

But I get why Veilleux can be VAY-yer, in which the "r" sound originates on the back of the tongue. I think that's the English influence. If you say VAY-yer with the "r" sound originating in the middle of the tongue (or forward) then it sounds a lot more French. But that's just the observations of a guy who finds that sort of thing to be interesting.

Could be right. With French, words that end in 'yer' are often pronounced 'eer', which makes some sense.
 
May 20, 2005
2,118
5,844
113
dor-SETT not DOR-sett
He would frequent the Cowboy Club at the old Texas Stadium during Cowboy games (bar where people only with suites can access). I ran into him once and said "Hey look, it's Tony DOR-sett" while proudly wearing a Penn State golf shirt... he got right in my face and I really thought we were going to come to blows. I was told later that day that Tony was slipping mentally and to not antagonize him.
 

BobPSU92

Heisman
Aug 22, 2001
45,629
37,833
113
He would frequent the Cowboy Club at the old Texas Stadium during Cowboy games (bar where people only with suites can access). I ran into him once and said "Hey look, it's Tony DOR-sett" while proudly wearing a Penn State golf shirt... he got right in my face and I really thought we were going to come to blows. I was told later that day that Tony was slipping mentally and to not antagonize him.

I recall that he was a raving lunatic after pitt beat PSU in 2016.
 

Lane

Junior
May 29, 2001
106
267
63
And Theismann originally had a silent 'i'.
My second hand Joey T. story:

Many years ago playing club soccer I was staying with a host family from a nothern VA team. They were super nice with several kids both my age and younger. Somehow the subject of Theismann came up (probably had a Washington helmet or jersey in their house and I made a snide comment) and the mom volunteered that she had gone with her younger kids to get his autograph at a mall not that long ago. Joe started hitting on her hard as she waited for his signature. She responded that she was married and that her kids were right there. Joe answered, "Yeah, but God wants Joe Theismann to be happy." She stared at his smug grin, dropped the mini-helmet or whatever was getting signed on the table in front of him, and walked away with her kids in tow.

I'd like to think that the tibia sticking through Joe's skin later on was also a message from God.
 

CVLion

All-Conference
Oct 13, 2021
1,158
2,390
113
Thanks everyone for the info and side stories :)

I wonder if the pronunciation of his name was either wrong or omitted in last year’s media guide, because I’m sure all the announcers were saying “VAY-you” back then.

Or, my memory is just off. Certainly possible.
 

IANit

Junior
Dec 7, 2002
225
227
43
I thought it was pronounced “VAY-yoo.”

The announcers the last few weeks seemed to be saying “VAY-yer.”

Anyone know for sure what is correct?
I thought we got a new QB and the Veilleux kid transferred out. Glad he's still here.
 

BW Lion

All-Conference
Apr 9, 2020
3,103
2,438
113
Does it really matter? He's soon to be Portal bound.

Adieu Monsieur Vay-you
 
  • Like
Reactions: MacNit

Manofsteel200

Senior
Oct 27, 2021
416
525
93
Announcers are getting it right this year. Vay-yer or Vay-yair are both acceptable French but CB said Vay-yer.
 

PSUJam

Heisman
Oct 7, 2021
13,821
26,516
113



"Perhaps the biggest takeaway (although there were many) was quarterback Christian Veilleux finally setting the record straight on how his last name should be pronounced.

“Vey-Er is the French way to say it,” Veilleux told Audrey Snyder of The Athletic. “Over the years, I’ve heard too many things. So, Vey-U became a big one for English speakers. But, the way you properly say it in French is Vey-Er.”

 
BWI

Latest

  1. 01 Rivals Football Recruiting Penn State's White Out sees top recruits already high on the Nittany Lions hitting Happy Valley
  2. 02 BWI Football Where will Penn State be at the end of October? A fresh record prediction is in for the next four weeks
  3. 03 BWI Football Penn State-USC matchups: Who will have the edge on Saturday at Beaver Stadium?
  4. 04 BWI Recruiting Can Penn State Capitalize on White Out Energy? Recruiting and Game Preview
  5. 05 BWI Recruiting By The Numbers: How Penn State's 2026 White Out recruiting list stacks up to previous years