Possible MBB rule changes

Nov 16, 2005
29,257
24,341
113
As terrible as officiating is I’d love to see a 6th foul. I wish they would go to quarters as well. It’s the only basketball played in the world that’s played in halves.
 
Last edited:

8dog

All-American
Feb 23, 2008
15,077
7,311
113
I think a sixth foul sounds bad. The game is physical enough and the floor has no spacing as it is.

But lets talk about eliminating free throws at the end. That would be a big deal.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Lawdawg.sixpack

All-Conference
Jul 22, 2012
5,352
1,215
113
Can’t lose those extra TV timeouts and potential for ad $$$...

16/12/8/4 = 4 per half.

5/end qtr/5 = 3 per half.
 

johnson86-1

All-American
Aug 22, 2012
15,162
5,713
113
I think a sixth foul sounds bad. The game is physical enough and the floor has no spacing as it is.

But lets talk about eliminating free throws at the end. That would be a big deal.

But the refs are so bad, and make so many bad calls, only allowing five fouls allows their bad officiating to have too much influence on the game. It's bad enough to have bad officiating, but to have players routinely unavailable because of bad calls is worse.
 

Xenomorph

Heisman
Feb 15, 2007
16,113
10,631
113
A 6th foul?... I don't even know what a foul is anymore to begin with.

But if you want to bring sanity to the end of games.. don't make free throws mandatory after a foul. The fouled team should have the option of inbounding the ball, in the back court, UNGUARDED rather than sending a man to the line.
 

SteelCurtain74

All-Conference
Oct 28, 2019
2,099
3,175
113
Didn't they already try the 6th foul experiment a few years ago? I would rather they stick with 5 fouls and allow anyone who fouls out in regulation to get another foul if the game goes to overtime.

I like the limiting of timeouts at the end of games.
 

8dog

All-American
Feb 23, 2008
15,077
7,311
113
Ive never thought it was a huge deal. But the game is poorly officiated bc its so difficult to officiate. Everyone is now bigger and faster. In the NBA their range spreads the floor plus possessions dont mean as much with 48 minutes and a 24 second shot clock. So if someone gets beat they usually just let him go. Also they have defensive 3 seconds.

Id prefer a wider lane and defensive 3 second call. A 6th foul without that just makes it look moreike wrestling than it already does.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

mstateglfr

All-American
Feb 24, 2008
16,875
6,684
113
A 6th foul?... I don't even know what a foul is anymore to begin with.

But if you want to bring sanity to the end of games.. don't make free throws mandatory after a foul. The fouled team should have the option of inbounding the ball, in the back court, UNGUARDED rather than sending a man to the line.

Huh. Thats one I havent read/heard/thought about before. Interesting.
 

mstateglfr

All-American
Feb 24, 2008
16,875
6,684
113
Changes-

- quarters not halves. as mentioned, its everywhere else and is well past time. quarters would mean we arent stuck with bonus/double bonus for over 10min of each half, which happens in way more games than anyone should expect.

- 24/25 second shot clock. 25 makes sense, but since the NBA is 24 just make it that so they are the same. Speed up the pace of play!

- expand the restricted zone under the basket to help reduce the controversy of block/charge calls. sliding into position down under/near the basket right before the ball handler takes off is not a basketball play that should be rewarded.




- dark horse rule change- ELAM ENDING! Make teams try to win instead of keep from losing. this also eliminates all the fouls late in the game since doing so hurts the trailing team. ELAM! ELAM!
 

Dawgg

Heisman
Sep 9, 2012
10,535
10,793
113
I think the women’s game has it right re: quarters and foul bonus.

4 team fouls per quarter and then an automatic two shot bonus on the 5th. Resets at quarter’s end. No 10 plus minute 1&1 bonus followed by a two shot bonus dragging every ticky tack foul into a 2-5 minute lull.

I’d really only consider a 6th foul for OT.
 

RocketDawg

All-Conference
Oct 21, 2011
19,985
2,766
113
Regarding traveling - if 2 steps are to be allowed, why not just eliminate the requirement to dribble altogether? Admittedly, they haven't been calling traveling for a while, but a single step seems to have been a fundamental rule since they used peach baskets as the goal.
 

RocketDawg

All-Conference
Oct 21, 2011
19,985
2,766
113
Agree. I don't care for their rule about moving the ball forward if they take a timeout near the end of the game though.
 

mstateglfr

All-American
Feb 24, 2008
16,875
6,684
113
Regarding traveling - if 2 steps are to be allowed, why not just eliminate the requirement to dribble altogether? Admittedly, they haven't been calling traveling for a while, but a single step seems to have been a fundamental rule since they used peach baskets as the goal.

bruiser wants his peach basket back. 2 steps were taken back in the 70s even- its on film.
 

o_Hot Rock

Senior
Jan 2, 2010
2,060
957
113
I quit watching NBA basketball when I became aware how much the officiating favored certain players. Jordan pushed off a half dozen times a game and his patented spin move used his elbow to hook and push the defender away which should have been a foul every time. What's sad, he would have found a way to win anyway but he used it if they weren't going to call it. I started noticing all the other stars getting the same treatment and lost interest. Simply put: The NBA cheats more for the stars of that game than any other sport I know.

I just don't watch it anymore. I don't boycott it, I just don't watch.

College officiating usually doesn't show as much favoritism in regular season games because a lot of the games have in conference officials controlled by the league. It's just bad officiating way too often. I can live with that more than what they do in the NBA.

I do wish, a walk was a walk and a foul was a foul but I have officiated a few pick up league games and it ain't easy. I will never do that again.
 

RocketDawg

All-Conference
Oct 21, 2011
19,985
2,766
113
bruiser wants his peach basket back. 2 steps were taken back in the 70s even- its on film.

Just because they've been letting them get away with it doesn't mean it conforms to the rules. You must've missed this part: "Admittedly, they haven't been calling traveling for a while."
 

johnson86-1

All-American
Aug 22, 2012
15,162
5,713
113
Ive never thought it was a huge deal. But the game is poorly officiated bc its so difficult to officiate. Everyone is now bigger and faster. In the NBA their range spreads the floor plus possessions dont mean as much with 48 minutes and a 24 second shot clock. So if someone gets beat they usually just let him go. Also they have defensive 3 seconds.

Id prefer a wider lane and defensive 3 second call. A 6th foul without that just makes it look moreike wrestling than it already does.

The 5 fouls in college were a big deal even 15-20 years ago when I watched consistently. You could easily swing a game by getting another team's star player in foul trouble, especially if it was a post player. The game becoming more guard/forward dominated has probably offset some of the decline in officiating (if there is really a decline; it was pretty bad then too, so it may just be more camera options making it more obvious). I just think ideally you wouldn't have a game swung so much on something relatively luck based, even if the officiating were good. Up to three fouls a half and disqualification for that half seems right to me.
 

RocketDawg

All-Conference
Oct 21, 2011
19,985
2,766
113
The women's player for South Carolina a couple of years ago did the same thing you said Jordan did, and she rarely got called for it. So yes, the stars get away with a lot.
 

8dog

All-American
Feb 23, 2008
15,077
7,311
113
In the original post there is an image of a tweet with the proposals. Declining FTs is one of them
 

mstateglfr

All-American
Feb 24, 2008
16,875
6,684
113
Just because they've been letting them get away with it doesn't mean it conforms to the rules. You must've missed this part: "Admittedly, they haven't been calling traveling for a while."

But they do call travel. MSU is called for travel, so even if all one watches is MSU, they would still see it.

For all intents and purposes, 2 steps isn't travel.
 

olblue.sixpack

Redshirt
Aug 14, 2012
4,615
0
0
I think a sixth foul sounds bad. The game is physical enough and the floor has no spacing as it is.

But lets talk about eliminating free throws at the end. That would be a big deal.

I agree. The game has already reached hack-a-shaq levels.
 
Nov 16, 2005
29,257
24,341
113
I see traveling all the time in college and NBA. Most of it usually happens when someone is about to drive to the basket from outside. They end up walking with the basketball.
 

mstateglfr

All-American
Feb 24, 2008
16,875
6,684
113
I see traveling all the time in college and NBA. Most of it usually happens when someone is about to drive to the basket from outside. They end up walking with the basketball.

Yeah, that first step before placing the ball on the ground first is done all the time.
And it's called a lot.
 

dog12

Senior
Sep 15, 2016
1,950
592
113
I agree. The game has already reached hack-a-shaq levels.


How about this: for the last 2 minutes of the game, every foul is two free throws plus possession after the free throws (except for a foul on a 3-point attempt . . . 3 free throws for that).
 

dog12

Senior
Sep 15, 2016
1,950
592
113
A 6th foul?... I don't even know what a foul is anymore to begin with.

But if you want to bring sanity to the end of games.. don't make free throws mandatory after a foul. The fouled team should have the option of inbounding the ball, in the back court, UNGUARDED rather than sending a man to the line.

That's a good idea.

It would essentially penalize the fouling team by reducing the game clock by 8-9 seconds for every foul.
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State Week 5 Preview: Alabama Players to Know
  2. 02 Rivals Football Recruiting No. 16 Mississippi State hosts Alabama with a 2027 flip target, two elite QBs and other top prospects visiting
  3. 03 Rivals Football Recruiting How strong is CB Julian McDonald’s Mississippi State commitment with LSU still pushing?
  4. 04 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State QB Kamario Taylor named Davey O'Brien National QB of the Week
  5. 05 Maroon and White Football "No Panic": Mississippi State S Jardin Gilbert on experience and adaptability on defense