I think we all questioned the hire then got behind him because there was Jack **** we could do about it. Last year was fun and a certain "what if" with injuries.
This year is an abomination given what our boosters spent and what we are seeing on the floor.
I didn’t think it was a bad hire. I didn’t want Drew, the only other offer. I did want Vogel.
But I loved Pope the player. He and Walker were my two favorite players on the ‘96 team. And Pope was tough as hell and smart. There were stories about Pitino having to dial Pope back in practice because he was hurting our players.
We needed a program first coach after Cal and we got that in spades with Pope.
I thought he would be great with UK resources.
I’m shocked at this turn of events.
He doesn’t coach anything like he played.
Pitino was a master at preparing. Almost over prepared. Pope doesn’t prepare at all.
Pitino was obsessive with conditioning. Our players don’t appear to be in good shape.
Pitino was all about individual instruction. Every year a player played for Pitino they got better. Much better.
Pope’s players do not show improvement.
How is it possible he was a captain on a Pitino E8 and title team in addition to practicing a year under Pitino before playing and not adapt anything from Pitino?