I forgot that Pele retired the year before the Roughnecks moved to Tulsa. So my watching The Sting and the Cosmos in 1977 was during his last year. Now that I remember it, that was a big heartbreak that he retired before we had a team. '77 was when I first started playing soccer.Did Pele ever play in Tulsa I went to some of roughnecks home games couldn’t remember if he played here ?
No he didnt. He played with the Cosmos from 1975-1977. Team Hawaii moved to Tulsa to become the Roughnecks in 1978.Did Pele ever play in Tulsa I went to some of roughnecks home games couldn’t remember if he played here ?
Beckenbauer. Johan Neeskins. George Best (far from his best).I do recall seeing Giorgio Chinaglia at Skelly. That might have been the biggest name that came to town.
I’m pretty sure I remember Cruyff at Skelly.Beckenbauer. Johan Neeskins. George Best (far from his best).
Not sure if Cruyff played in Tulsa during his brief US run.
I remember him playing at skelly, but I wanted to check it out first, to make sure my mind wasn't playing tricks on me. He was here once in '79 with LA, & once in '80 with Washington. My only memory of him was with Washington, so I guess I saw him play with Washington in '80. The only time he scored a goal on us was at RFK.I’m pretty sure I remember Cruyff at Skelly.
I don't remember anyone scoring more against the 'Necks than Chinaglia. He just tore us up ( & the rest of the NASL as well).I do recall seeing Giorgio Chinaglia at Skelly. That might have been the biggest name that came to town.
I think a friend of mine attended that camp and went on to have pizza with Pele at the late, great Tom Iadevaia's house. I was told Pele juggled grapefruits over pizza.He was at a Roughneck soccer camp I went to as a kid. He even ran a couple of sessions IIRC.
I remember him being super nice. My mom said he signed my camp shirt. I have it somewhere and need to find it to see!
Inside Tulsa Sports Football
After Arkansas, Tulsa has to respond — just like it did in 1982
Inside Tulsa Sports Football
Tulsa gets chance to bounce back against UNT in conference opener
Inside Tulsa Sports Football
Tre Lamb calls North Texas RB Jaheim White 'The best back we've played'
Inside Tulsa Sports Football
Tulsa quarterback Baylor Hayes 50-50 for North Texas game
Inside Tulsa Sports Football
Tulsa leaves Arkansas with plenty to fix before North Texas