OT: Woodturning

RocketDawg

All-Conference
Oct 21, 2011
20,075
2,832
113
I do, but I use a Shopsmith. Bought it used. It's a very good lathe, but you wouldn't want to spend that sort of money if that's the only feature you use it for.

For a standalone lathe, the tool set probably costs as much as the tool.
 

karlchilders.sixpack

All-Conference
Jun 5, 2008
21,116
4,888
113
My one turning, (actually 1 of2)



I inherited a Shop Smith, had to try it once, atleast.



View attachment 18783
 

Jeffreauxdawg

All-American
Dec 15, 2017
8,891
8,003
113
Any sixpackers have experience? Looking to purchase my first lathe

Just gave one away when I moved. Sorry.

Not sure what you are planning to do, but I made pens primarily. Lot of fun and great gifts. Shopsmith is pretty low rent for turning. To light on the tool rest and tailstock. It could be dangerous if you are not careful.

Here was what I had, worked great but I just gave to a friend a few weeks ago.

Ask away with any questions and let me know what you want to turn.

https://www.rockler.com/jet-jwl-1015-10-x-15-wood-lathe

ETA. If you want to turn pens, the best investment you can make is a drill press with a long stroke 4" would be ideal.. Settle down lurkers, 4" stroke probably fits the bill for a lot of you huh.
 
Last edited:

RocketDawg

All-Conference
Oct 21, 2011
20,075
2,832
113
Just gave one away when I moved. Sorry.

Not sure what you are planning to do, but I made pens primarily. Lot of fun and great gifts. Shopsmith is pretty low rent for turning. To light on the tool rest and tailstock. It could be dangerous if you are not careful.

Here was what I had, worked great but I just gave to a friend a few weeks ago.

Ask away with any questions and let me know what you want to turn.

https://www.rockler.com/jet-jwl-1015-10-x-15-wood-lathe

ETA. If you want to turn pens, the best investment you can make is a drill press with a long stroke 4" would be ideal.. Settle down lurkers, 4" stroke probably fits the bill for a lot of you huh.

Any power tool can be dangerous if you're not careful. Even a drill can break your wrist. Shopsmith gets the job done.
 

Jeffreauxdawg

All-American
Dec 15, 2017
8,891
8,003
113
Any power tool can be dangerous if you're not careful. Even a drill can break your wrist. Shopsmith gets the job done.

Agreed, but you also know better than to screw a circular saw to a piece of plywood, zip tie the switch to on, and turn it upside down on a couple of sawhorses and call it a table saw.

The shopsmith does not have the speed adjustability, tailstock strength, tool rest heft, and has a bad reputation for vibrating. You can do everything right when turning wood and one little wobble it's disaster.

I had two near tragic mistakes turning on a lathe. 1st one was when I first started and stupidly wore a glove for safety and somehow the tip of the glove finger got caught on the stock spinning a few thousand rpms and that heavy duty jet rest stopped my hand from following the finger of the glove. (Cheap glove was helpful too, ripped the index finger perfectly off.) The second incident was from a tiny wobble in my mandrel on a piece of cape buffalo horn I was turning. It shattered instantly and sent shards all around me, including a few that imbedded into the pine plywood in my garage. It was a miracle none of it hit me. Eye protection yes. But not throat protection. I still don't turn horn anymore. That one gave me PTSD.

If you want to turn a spindle to replace a broken leg on grannies rocker, that's what the shopsmith is great at... Something one off. But if you want to buy a lathe for wood turning, I recommend in order a midi from Jet, PSI, Delta, Shopfox, Rikon, Grizzly, and Laguna. If you want to drop big bucks Powermatic is legit.
 

Mobile Bay

All-Conference
Jul 26, 2020
4,243
2,188
113
I got into some you tube videos about it and it seemed real neat. Then I took a couple of classes about it. Turns out all the youtube videos are sped up. It takes a lot of concentration and focus to do it right. It takes a lot longer than you might think.

I don't have that much left in me at the end of the day, so I noped out of the hobby.
 

bulldogcountry1

Redshirt
Jun 4, 2007
2,311
1
38
Quality lathes are quite expensive for what they can do. Most woodworking tools are versatile, and I consider then an investment. Lathes are kind of in a different category.

I’ve been woodworking over 25 years, and I’ve never been able to pull the trigger on a lathe. When I was a teenager, my uncle let me borrow his Craftsman lathe for a while to try it out. It just wasn’t for me. I was appreciative, though, because it saved me money. That’s why I recommended buying a cheaper, less powerful unit at first. It will help you decide if you really want to invest in a quality machine and what type of turning you like (machine capacity).
 

Jeffreauxdawg

All-American
Dec 15, 2017
8,891
8,003
113
You are wrong about the speed adjusability.

I have never seen a shopsmith capable of going below 700ish rpm. There a lots of instances where you want to be 250 or so to start on wet or chunky wood.

Shopsmith does not make the top 10 in lathes. Period.
 

Jeffreauxdawg

All-American
Dec 15, 2017
8,891
8,003
113
Not trying to poop on Shopsmiths.The SS is a great all around shop tool to own, but the OP is asking about woodturning as a hobby. You can get a good midi lathe without breaking the bank for a lot less than a Shopsmith and much better performance and versatility.
 

karlchilders.sixpack

All-Conference
Jun 5, 2008
21,116
4,888
113
No offense taken

I happen to have one, by inheritance, (rather have my loved one back).

They are pricey. I mostly use the table saw, but have used everything on it, because I like to explore things.

I like to tinker with things.

I can't recommend anyone with tool space to buy one.

But the subject came up, and I do have some working knowledge of the subject.

Have a happy Thanksgiving,

Karl.
 

Jeffreauxdawg

All-American
Dec 15, 2017
8,891
8,003
113
Cool beans. Wish I had one. My grandfather and I were the only wood workers in my family. He went suddenly about 15 years ago and the Uncle Rico of my family swooped in and claimed all of the great old table saws, drill presses, and band saws. Last I heard he sold it all off.


I have retired from woodturning until I retire from work. After having kids it was hard to find time. I still help out friends and neighbors with millwork and furniture projects from time to time, but before a recent move, I have given away all my goodies to people that I knew would use it.

Happy Thanksgiving to you as well.
 

dawgoneyall

Junior
Nov 11, 2007
3,431
210
63
Are you a guy who gets bored with new stuff easily. If so go with a cheaper lathe.
If you plan-well are not one who tends not to stick with stuff- tend/plan to do this seriously/longer term ...go with a higher priced lathe...300 to 500 bucks
 

Crazy Cotton

All-Conference
Aug 26, 2012
3,964
1,814
113
I think somebody on here mentioned a midi lathe. That's what I'd recommend as well as a first lathe. You can make pens, handles, smaller bowls, etc, and if you add a bed extension later you can do table legs and the like. I've got an older Delta midi that I like for small and medium size stuff, JET makes a good one, or go to the Grizzly website and look around.

I wouldn't recommend a Shopsmith if you're mostly interested in turning. You want a table saw, drill press, etc. fine, but realize there's some limitations.

If you're just starting out, I would buy a set of 3 carbide tipped chisels. I have probably 30+ chisels, probably at least 2K in them, and I find myself reaching for my midsize carbide rougher or finisher as often as not, unless there's a specialized cut I'm doing. Conventional chisels have to be sharpened a lot, don't come sharp, and it is a big learning curve if you're on your own to learn how to do that, and it takes a fair investment in sharpening tools or system. The carbide tools are not sharped - use them till dull, then switch around the carbide tip, then after a couple of years bolt on a new tip. Super, super simple. And the cutting technique is different, and in my mind safer than with conventional chisels. Here's what I'd do starting out:

Lathe - here's a JET, there are others around, this is about what to expect to pay. Should be a cast iron so you have enough weight to keep it steady and balanced. Please don't go to harbor freight for this. Look at craig's list

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/jet-variable-speed-mini-lathe-model-1015vs

tools
I like this brand, and this size for the midi lathe. You can use these for everything from bowls, pens, legs, etc.
https://www.woodcraft.com/products/...1e3c69702d6593002bd2,57641e5169702d2f2f0001ba
that's the finisher. That and a rougher will get you going

The lathe will come with a tailstock and headstock, so you can turn sticks. Should come with a basic faceplate for bowls as well. Once you get hooked, you'll add all kinds of dodads to your system.

Turning is my favorite thing to do in the shop, and I do a lot of cabinet work. It's a ton of fun and you can really zone out on the lathe. Very relaxing and satisfying, doesn't make much noise, and you don't need much space to set up a nice area to work.
 

JesterB

Freshman
Mar 3, 2008
452
89
28
What are the advantages/disadvantages of the 10 vs 12” lathes? I want to turn pens, duck calls, bowls and vases.
 

Jeffreauxdawg

All-American
Dec 15, 2017
8,891
8,003
113
What are the advantages/disadvantages of the 10 vs 12” lathes? I want to turn pens, duck calls, bowls and vases.

There are usually 2 numbers on a lathe you are concerned with... The swing which is the clearance from the spindle to the bed and the distance between centers. My old JET1015 had 10" of clearance between the bed and the spindle and 15" between the centers. So I could theoretically put a 15" long log that is 20" in diameter on there and go to town. But you also have to account for the 2" base of the tool rest that attaches to the bed which on a vase would come in to play do my clearance was more like 7.5" in reality.

For what you are looking at doing here is what I would buy. Delta 46-460 or the Jet1221. The Delta is 12.5" by 16.5" and the Jet is 12" x 21". $599 for the Delta and $699 for the Jet on Amazon. Both have variable speed controls (Jet is digital.) Both models also have bed extensions available and stands. The bed extension will take both out to +40" in center distance which will allow for table legs or baseball bats.

I think Jet has better features (RPM as low as 60 vs 250 for the Delta) and Delta is supposed to be smoother. Can't really go wrong with either. If you were just going for duck calls and pens, a 10" would be fine. There are a lot more options I like in that size range too. But vases and bowls need more room. Not sure how tall your vases are but the Jet does give you 5" more height from the jump.

A good 10" lathe is around $375-475. A good 12" is $600-700. But the 12" is a true midi that you can trick out down the road and do just about anything you want with. A 10" lathe is just a bench top in my book.

Hopefully Cotton chimes in as well.

ETA. I just went window shopping on Amazon. You can pimp out the Delta with a stand, bet extension, and extension stand and build it out to a 12.5 * 43 stand model for under $1000. Not pocket change, but it would be all you could ever need. I regret not spending the extra $150 when I bought mine. Would have loved to make some bats.

View attachment 18814

View attachment 18815

View attachment 18816

View attachment 18817
 
Last edited:

Crazy Cotton

All-Conference
Aug 26, 2012
3,964
1,814
113
All this is on the money. I'll add this. Biggest mistake new turners make, IMO, is cheaping out on the chisels. poorly made chisels are just frustrating to use and dangerous, and you're handicapping yourself from the start.

I think the carbide tipped chisels are the biggest innovation to turning since they strapped a motor on these things, and allow someone with no experience to be making useful stuff really quickly. The biggest advantage is that you use the same, repeatable, easily learned techniques with this type of chisel, and you don't have to learn how to sharpen

You really only need two chisels to start turning useful stuff. Last year I took some walnut and cherry end cuts and turned cocktail muddlers for everybody. Didn't cost me a thing and they were a hit, and I got to where I could make one about every 20 minutes including sanding and oil/beeswax finish, using only a carbide tipped rougher and finisher.
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White Mississippi State Bye Week Checklist: What Needs Work?
  2. 02 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State Bye Week Watchlist
  3. 03 Maroon and White Mississippi State Basketball tipoff times finalized
  4. 04 Rivals Basketball Recruiting Mississippi State, Maryland & UCF talking visits with 4-star forward K'Nard Callendar
  5. 05 Maroon and White Football "Fine line": Mississippi State HC Jeff Lebby speaks on managing health and preparation