OT: Wireless Dog Fence Systems

SyonaraStanz

Senior
Mar 5, 2010
3,229
583
113
Does anyone have experience with a good wireless dog fence system? The Halo system looks good, since you can customize fences via an app, but I don't know how reliable it is.

Thanks for the help.
 

PBRME

All-American
Feb 12, 2004
11,411
5,524
113
I was thinking about a wireless fence for my dog when I moved. Visited a friend that used to have one for his dog. The dog is around 12 years old. I started to get a few text messages and noticed his dog would tense up and start shaking. My friend told me any beeping noise terrifies the dog now because beeps were the warning before he got shocked. Felt really bad and put my phone on silence.

Still not sure what I’m going to do when I move. I don’t want my dog to have a panic attack because the laundry is done or the refrigerator door is open.
 

TrueMaroonGrind

All-Conference
Jan 6, 2017
4,130
1,700
113
We have used the Pet Safe wireless fence for about 7 years now. It works well. Just make sure to check the collar every once in a while. A bolt was loose and the shock part actually came off. Other than that it works well and gives her a lot of room to roam. You can get another emitter and increase the area if you want.

My dog does not like beeping sounds anymore, but she does not run away and mess with other people or their dogs.
 

bolddogge

All-Conference
Aug 23, 2012
1,174
1,395
113
If you live in a subdivision and only need to fence a small area, a Petsafe wireless fence should work great. Be careful if you have trees though. The trees will cause the signal to be dispersed and result in "holes" in the fence. I live in a rural area with dogs that stay outside all the time. I want them to have a large area that includes both woods and pastures and just need to be sure they don't eat any more of my neighbors chickens... I wound up getting an in-ground Sportdog system and putting in about 1/4 mile of wire. Installing the wire isn't that difficult. The hardest part of the install was going under the paved driveway. If you end up using one of these let me know and I'll share my install tips. The system has worked great so far.
 

Uncle Ruckus

All-American
Apr 1, 2011
15,328
6,717
113
What kind of dog is it?
I lost a lab from him going after someone one night. If it’s a big, tough, stubborn dog, I wouldn’t get one.
 

SyonaraStanz

Senior
Mar 5, 2010
3,229
583
113
Golden retriever. We're in a rural area, but on a small road where idiots love to speed. I just need to keep him out of the road.
 

GreaterCowbell

Redshirt
May 3, 2011
358
0
0
Think a lot will depend on your dogs personality. It worked well on some of our more timid, less independent dogs. Larger stubborn dogs will be more of a challenge. We have a Husky, and we'd have to shave her neck so the collar would make contact. Then she figured out the collar, I watched her walk up to the boundary one day and hold her neck out until the collar timed out. She then proceeded about her marry way.

Ended up getting a Fi tracking collar so we could monitor her movements.
 

Jaxdog

Redshirt
Aug 22, 2012
39
2
8
Question for those that have these systems in place. Did you install it yourself or have a company do it, and ballpark what was the price? Thanks...
 

Uncle Ruckus

All-American
Apr 1, 2011
15,328
6,717
113
I do too. Live 1/2 a mile from the highway. He got after something one night and got the call the next morning. My recommendation is spend more money and build a fence. Don’t take a risk losing your best friend.
 

MeridianDog

Freshman
Sep 3, 2008
3,226
80
48
We had a yellow lab (Pete). We lived in a small town, with roaming dogs. I think Pete was desperate to be a town dog and not a yard dog. We had a fenceless fence installed with a standard shock collar.

it didn't slow him down at all, so we sent the shock unit back and ordered the heavy duty shock collar. I did all of the training - walking him around the perimeter on leash and any time the collar beeped, pulled him back, firmly saying "NO" and then allowing it to shock him as I said "NO". eventually - a couple of weeks later, we decided he was trained and allowed him outside, not on a leash.

Some of the town dogs came by a day later and I watched through a window as Pete walked to the beep point. His legs were shaking so badly he could barely move as that industrial collar zapped him time after time. Eventually he made it to the other side. When he did, I watched as shook his head from side to side two times and then ZOOM - he was gone. He came back a few days later and lay in the street across from the fence. I went out, leashed him and drug him back through the fence. That did absolutely no good at all.

As long as no other dogs came by, he was fine. When the town dogs showed up, he would shake and stumble through the fence and disappear until he got hungry enough to come home. Eventually he learned to get a running start and run back across the thing to get back into the yard.
 

RocketDawg

All-Conference
Oct 21, 2011
20,078
2,839
113
A couple of my neighors have them, and at least one of them seems to work well. One of them is several years old and I've never seen a maintenance truck at their house, so it must be reliable. They have a Jack Russel and a dachshund - both small dogs - and they don't seem to be stressed out. The other one is pretty new, maybe 6 months old, but I don't think I've ever seen a dog in their yard. Don't know what they cost, but both were done by a company.
 

SyonaraStanz

Senior
Mar 5, 2010
3,229
583
113
I do too. Live 1/2 a mile from the highway. He got after something one night and got the call the next morning. My recommendation is spend more money and build a fence. Don’t take a risk losing your best friend.

That was my original plan, until the lumber industry became extremely proud of their product.
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Rivals Basketball Recruiting 5-star AJ Williams details his official visits and where things stand with UNC, BYU & Arkansas as the early signing period nears
  2. 02 Maroon and White Mississippi State Bye Week Checklist: What Needs Work?
  3. 03 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State Bye Week Watchlist
  4. 04 Maroon and White Mississippi State Basketball tipoff times finalized
  5. 05 Rivals Basketball Recruiting Mississippi State, Maryland & UCF talking visits with 4-star forward K'Nard Callendar