OT: Who's your insurance provider?

Drebin

Heisman
Aug 22, 2012
22,449
27,285
113
And are you satisfied with them?

Thinking of telling State Farm to hit the bricks. Looking suggestively at Liberty Mutual.
 

MSUDC11

Redshirt
Aug 23, 2012
7,316
0
0
I have a local ALFA agent in Starkville and have been very pleased with them the last few years.
 

Palmettodog

Redshirt
Aug 22, 2012
1,416
30
48
Did it years ago. I have been with Travelers for a few years now and I’m satisfied. The caveat being I haven’t had any claims.
 

WestDawg

Redshirt
Aug 24, 2012
117
11
18
Redbud Insurance in Kosciusko, MS

AMAZING AGENCY. They are independent, but amazing rates and as good as anyone I have ever come across in the business. And both the owners are State grads.

https://redbudagency.com/
 

PineGroveBully

Redshirt
Nov 13, 2007
8,508
2
0
Geico - reasonably satisfied, but haven’t had a claim in the 6 years since I’ve swapped. With my driving past I’m hoping it stays that way.
 

dorndawg

Heisman
Sep 10, 2012
9,328
10,611
113
Currently have Allstate, haven't had a claim with them but overall they've been ok & no ridic rate increases. Had Shelter in the past and they treated me right on a car wreck.

Side-bar pro-tip for all Dawgs: If you don't already have one, talk to your agent about an umbrella policy. Lotta folks out there under-insured as hell. I think mine is like $240/yr. https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/insurance/umbrella-insurance
 

Mobile Bay

All-Conference
Jul 26, 2020
4,242
2,184
113
Did it years ago. I have been with Travelers for a few years now and I’m satisfied. The caveat being I haven’t had any claims.

Same here. I started with them because they would take monthly payments instead of every 6 months, and they haven't given me a reason to switch.
 
Aug 25, 2012
782
624
93
And are you satisfied with them?

Thinking of telling State Farm to hit the bricks. Looking suggestively at Liberty Mutual.

I have had USAA for a long time and have been satisfied. May want to look into them if you’re eligible. They’ve loosened eligibility restrictions over the years I believe.
 

PhredPhantom

All-Conference
Mar 3, 2008
1,354
2,269
113
USAA

You have to be a current or prior military member. At the end of the year, if they have taken in more money than they needed, they issue a dividend check to each member.
 

patdog

Heisman
May 28, 2007
60,397
31,580
113
You’re also eligible if you’re a former dependent of a USAA member. I’m eligible because my dad was in Army back in the late 50s/early 60s. My son is eligible because I’m a member. If you qualify, USAA is a no brainer.
 

Coast Dawg

Redshirt
Feb 28, 2008
364
0
0
State Farm

Been with my agent for 16+ years and I’ve had a couple claims. I’m satisfied with service

That said, I’ve shopped last spring and again this spring. Both times, when looking at everything I have with SF (two vehicles and home), no one I checked with could beat SF. I checked with multiple independent agents and Nationwide. I did save money leaving the MS wind pool last spring and went independent.
 

Dawgbite

Heisman
Nov 1, 2011
9,860
11,233
113
State Farm on the house and cars. Had Progressive on the RV but they kept going up until they finally matched State Farm so I switched to my local agent. I've got a no questions asked agent. I'll pay a little more to have someone that I can look at while I'm talking to them.
 

The Peeper

Heisman
Feb 26, 2008
16,669
12,366
113
Allstate since 1987 for home auto and umbrella. I've never shopped them, had the same agent for last 25 and wouldn't not use him except he's retiring and I'm about to go shopping the market so I'm interested in this thread too
 

RocketDawg

All-Conference
Oct 21, 2011
19,982
2,763
113
I've had State Farm forever. Wouldn't go with Liberty Mutual because of their stupid commercials.

I think insurance companies probably treat longtime customers better than new customers who switch around all the time.
 

Jeffreauxdawg

All-American
Dec 15, 2017
8,891
8,003
113
Since nobody else is mentioning them, Progressive (Home and Auto.) I had a massive hail storm in 2019 and they just wrote me checks and let me take care of business. It was amazing. I ended up netting $15k by subbing out work myself. I'm a customer for LIFE. Service is good as USAA and way better than State Farm. Much better rates for me than anyone else too.

ETA. For the DownVoter. Find me rates with these coverages and I will be glad to switch. $630 for the full year, full coverage on 2 newish vehicles. Mrs Socks and I both have clean records and our only claims in the last 5 years was from hail damage which went to homeowner's. USAA is more than double. So was State Farm.

View attachment 20155
View attachment 20156
View attachment 20157
 
Last edited:

greenbean.sixpack

All-American
Oct 6, 2012
9,403
8,831
113
20 years ago, USAA was great and beat everyone's prices. Now their premiums are on the higher side. Many military members are ditching them for GEICO. Whatever you do, make sure you compare similar coverages, many will pull the ole bait and switch.
 

VegasDawg13

Freshman
Jun 11, 2007
2,191
80
48
I went with a local agent that essentially auctions you out to the national companies and ended up with State Auto, a subsidiary of Liberty Mutual. In ~12 years, I've had three claims between home and auto. Things were fine with the first home claim (I started a grease fire in the kitchen), and I honestly don't remember if Liberty Mutual was involved at that point.

The second one, a storm damaged our roof. Liberty Mutual absolutely refused to respond to us for weeks. We never knew which individual we were supposed to be dealing with, etc. If the roofing company wanted to be jerks, they could have really ****** us over. Luckily they were understanding and everything worked out after getting our local agent involved past the point where her job was supposed to be over.

Third time, simple claim. I backed into a car in a parking lot. Minor damage. 100% my fault, which is how I conveyed it to Liberty Mutual's adjuster. Apparently the other driver's account slightly differed from mine in some insignificant detail. Liberty Mutual tried to only pay half of the other person's damages and threatened to raise my premium if I insisted it was my fault.

**** that company with a rusty mace. I will never have insurance again where I might end up on the phone with an adjuster in New Jersey that clearly doesn't give a **** about me or anyone else involved on my claim.
 

Treemydawg

Sophomore
Sep 29, 2013
313
118
43
We have State Farm for everything we own. I have been with them for years, and I’m very pleased with the rates, but we have never had a claim either. With that said, I own a construction / roofing company and they are the absolute worst to work with on client claims. They seem to go out of their way to try to screw over long time customers who have very few claims, and some have never had a claim. For this reason alone I’m going to start shopping around too.
 

aTotal360

Heisman
Nov 12, 2009
22,499
16,193
113
SafeCo. Almost went with Travelers because they are really easy to work with on claims. I got a pile of speeding tickets so my options are a bit limited.
 

was21

Senior
May 29, 2007
10,000
632
113
USAA....highest rated insurance company in the United States...auto and homeowners...thankfully I'm a veteran.
 

TaleofTwoDogs

All-Conference
Jun 1, 2004
4,319
2,097
113
I've had USAA, Nationwide & Farmers over the years. USAA was the best in the field for service and rates but that was 10 years ago. Their premiums are really high now. For the last six years I have been with Farmers and every year I shop them just to keep in the game and Farmers hasn't failed to give me the best price on both home and auto. No issues with service either. The only negative is their agent system is constantly turning over so I deal directly with corporate through their web site.
 

Cooterpoot

Redshirt
Aug 29, 2012
4,239
2
0
State Farm is the worst. Avoid at all costs! Currently use Safeco, which is Liberty Mutual. No problems.
 

Cousin Jeffrey

Redshirt
Feb 20, 2011
767
47
18
Since nobody else is mentioning them, Progressive (Home and Auto.) I had a massive hail storm in 2019 and they just wrote me checks and let me take care of business. It was amazing. I ended up netting $15k by subbing out work myself. I'm a customer for LIFE. Service is good as USAA and way better than State Farm. Much better rates for me than anyone else too.
I’ve been with Progressive for home and auto for years. I shop around every year or two, and nobody else ever matches them. I’ve had a couple of auto claims, but never a home claim. Never had a problem with them, except I just got my home renewal notice and my rate jumped 25%.
 

Todd4State

Redshirt
Mar 3, 2008
17,411
1
0
State Farm on the house and cars. Had Progressive on the RV but they kept going up until they finally matched State Farm so I switched to my local agent. I've got a no questions asked agent. I'll pay a little more to have someone that I can look at while I'm talking to them.

Progressive tried to go up on me and I called them up and told them I had a better offer from Geico. They dropped their offer down and my rates have gone down since then.
 

ezsoil

Junior
May 26, 2013
1,348
284
83
I'm trying to find a carrier for the house I'm building on the coast....
 

Bulldawg77

All-American
Dec 1, 2019
4,044
7,470
108
Progressive tried to go up on me and I called them up and told them I had a better offer from Geico. They dropped their offer down and my rates have gone down since then.

Having worked for PGR for 5 years and I launched the PRG home products in MS they can't just give you a better rate like say your TV provider
 

GloryDawg

Heisman
Mar 3, 2005
20,624
19,322
113
USAA

You have to be a current or prior military member. At the end of the year, if they have taken in more money than they needed, they issue a dividend check to each member.

A dividend in insurance is a hedge for the company in case of a bad year. Basically they over charge you during the year just in case things go to ****. If everything goes as they plan they give it back to you. The longer you have that policy the bigger the dividend gets but the premium stays the same out side any rate increase due to accident or over all company rate increase. Any time you can get a participating insurance policy is good. However those dividend are not guarantee.
 
Last edited:

Bulldawg77

All-American
Dec 1, 2019
4,044
7,470
108
I'm trying to find a carrier for the house I'm building on the coast....
Your best option would look for an independent agent on the coast don't even try for a captive agent. Captive will have you with multiple policies while an independent will have your fire and wind usually one one policy. Depending on zone for flood could be another issue but the IA agent will help you with that as well.
PM me with any questions and I will direct you to the some great agents on the coast
 

kired

All-Conference
Aug 22, 2008
7,126
2,526
113
I’ve got progressive now, great rates so far - no claims though.

Had travelers for years and no problems with the one claim I had (roof).
 

Bass Chaser

Junior
Oct 8, 2016
417
259
62
I have home and auto through Farm Bureau. My boat policy is through Travelers.

Neither were competitive with the respective coverages I needed.

An independent agent can shop multiple carriers whereas a captive only represents one carrier.

Anything south of I-10 is going to be expensive, and they may not even offer coverage.
 

ezsoil

Junior
May 26, 2013
1,348
284
83
I'm on 90...so I figured I would be in the wind pool. ...but I do have a quote with wind at a 3% deductible ...I'm in Texas now and I'm used to a 2% deductible.
 

patdog

Heisman
May 28, 2007
60,397
31,580
113
USAA base rates before dividends are consistently among the lowest in the business. It's a true non-profit, owned by the members. Their dividend is more like what other insurance companies pay to their stockholders than what other insurance companies pay as a policy dividend. This year, we got policy dividends monthly and an annual dividend at the end of the year.
 
Nov 16, 2005
29,236
24,297
113
Farm Bureau had by far the fewest lawsuits over insurance claims after Katrina. Like in the single digits. They are hardly ever the cheapest but you get what you pay for. When the tornados hit Desoto County last winter one Saturday morning they were on the scene writing checks by noon that day.
 
Feb 19, 2013
1,272
409
83
I'd stay away from LM. I switched to them several years back because they offered me the lowest rates for Homeowners and Auto.....then they proceeded to jack my Homeowners by almost 60% over the next 2 years. I canceled them and went with Safeco and have been very pleased. Ironically, Safeco is owned by Liberty Mutual.
 

Drebin

Heisman
Aug 22, 2012
22,449
27,285
113
I've had State Farm forever. Wouldn't go with Liberty Mutual because of their stupid commercials.

I think insurance companies probably treat longtime customers better than new customers who switch around all the time.

I can disprove your final sentence easily with this post. I've had State Farm since 1994. Everything's been copacetic. My homeowners is a little more expensive than others, but they have good customer service and took care of me when we had the tornado claim last year.

I had myself, the wife, and the daughter on the auto policy and was paying about 350/month. Got my son a used car and added him to the insurance when he turned 16 last month. My insurance went up to 780/month. Ridiculous. I got quotes from six different insurance companies and every one of them can beat State Farm's rate by at least 300/month at this point.

I expected insurance to go up. I didn't expect it to more than double. So much for taking care of longtime customers.

If we held annoying commercials against insurance companies, nobody would have insurance. But I like what I see from Liberty Mutual and I have a neighbor who can't say enough nice things about them. Their monthly rate quoted is only slightly higher than my original rate was with State Farm.
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Rivals Football Recruiting Wiltfong Whiparound: Mega prediction for Kentucky; Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi State all made big recruiting moves in week four
  2. 02 Maroon and White Football Sunday Notebook: No. 24 Mississippi State 31-24 No. 19 Mizzou
  3. 03 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State's defense bends without breaking again
  4. 04 Maroon and White Mississippi State PFF Grades from 31-24 win over Mizzou
  5. 05 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State's Week 5 date with No. 8 Alabama set for early window