OT: Undercover Boss - Peavey...

BigMotherTucker

Sophomore
Aug 20, 2006
6,805
199
63
I didnt watch it... Cant stand the show.. Cant stand Peavey. As a Meridianite ill say the guy is complete scum and from my FB feed it looks like everyone else sees that now.
 

HammerOfTheDogs

All-Conference
Jun 20, 2001
10,838
1,670
113
Peavey Electronics is SOOOOO Meridian, Mississippi

I didnt watch it... Cant stand the show.. Cant stand Peavey. As a Meridianite ill say the guy is complete scum and from my FB feed it looks like everyone else sees that now.

I had several High School friends get jobs at Peavey's. Peavey's has always underpaid their workers. However, Hartley Peavey always made up for it by doing little things for the workers, like free concerts by bands who used their products (Journey at the height of their popularity used give free concerts to the employees).

However, the company changed after Peavey's first wife Melia died in 1998. Melia was the business person, while Hartley could focus on creativity. Since Melia died, their product has gone downhill.

I remember once that Peavey donated some speakers to Scott Field. I was expecting a solid wall of sound. Instead, Hank Flick sounded even MORE tinny than normal. My guess is that Larry Templeton pressured Hartley to donate some speakers, and he just gathered up a few that were in back-storage and wrote them off as loss.
 

Palmettodog

Redshirt
Aug 22, 2012
1,416
30
48
Me and my homies uses to sneak into his compound back in 91, 92 and catch the **** out bass in his pond.
 

thf24

Redshirt
Jan 28, 2011
1,334
3
38
He makes a great amplifier (6505+ is my main rig), but I had the opportunity to meet him once, and I'll just say from that short encounter I'm not exactly proud to count him as one of us.
 

drt7891

Redshirt
Dec 6, 2010
6,727
0
0
Peavey single-handedly kept Toyota out of Meridian when they were looking to build a facility in the state.
 

GloryDawg

Heisman
Mar 3, 2005
20,624
19,326
113
My dad bought some Amps from them back in the early 70's like 71 or 72. He is dead now and when our house burned down they were all i storage. My older brother has them and they still sound good today.
 

SignalToNoise

Redshirt
Aug 22, 2012
741
0
0
Not my story, but a classmate of mine interviewed for a job with them as we were finishing the ECE program. He told me the salary they offered and it was laughably low, even for a fresh out. As the years have gone by I have met engineers that have worked there and said they hated it. In summary I have never heard a good thing about that place.
 

UpTheMiddlex3Punt

All-Conference
May 28, 2007
18,068
4,155
113
There are a lot of companies like that in MS that offer engineers low salaries. I had a bunch of interviews and offers coming out of college and the small town MS companies were routinely 30-50% less than the offers I was getting in Huntsville. HSV cost of living isn't that much higher than MS, so that's not a good excuse. It turns out most of the people who end up at those jobs are the graduates who want to return and work close to where they grew up.
 

johnson86-1

All-American
Aug 22, 2012
15,155
5,705
113
Not my story, but a classmate of mine interviewed for a job with them as we were finishing the ECE program. He told me the salary they offered and it was laughably low, even for a fresh out. As the years have gone by I have met engineers that have worked there and said they hated it. In summary I have never heard a good thing about that place.

Supposedly, on the trip that he made to Starkville to accept an honorary degree and speak to the graduating class, he made a comment along the lines of why would he hire a graduate from state when he can get one from India that works harder for half the price. Heard a couple of people claim that but none that would have had a reason to be around him, so I'm not sure where he supposedly said it.
 

BulldogBlitz

Heisman
Dec 11, 2008
18,071
25,554
113
Supposedly, on the trip that he made to Starkville to accept an honorary degree and speak to the graduating class, he made a comment along the lines of why would he hire a graduate from state when he can get one from India that works harder for half the price. Heard a couple of people claim that but none that would have had a reason to be around him, so I'm not sure where he supposedly said it.

that can be said of any US univ.....what biz sense does it make to hire someone in at twice the money?
 

johnson86-1

All-American
Aug 22, 2012
15,155
5,705
113
It does but not at a graduation ceremony.



In addition to the fact that it seems like he could have refrained from pointing that out while being hosted by the University he is specifying by name, there's also the issue that a lot of company heads like to claim that there aren't U.S. workers available with the necessary skills, so they need HB-1 visas, but what they really mean is they don't want to pay the wages that are demanded by U.S. workers with the skills they need. Not sure if Peavey uses HB-1 workers, but if that is what he meant by graduates from India (assuming he actually made the comment to begin with), that sort of gives the game away that they aren't using HB-1's for their claimed purpose.
 

Digging dog

Sophomore
Aug 22, 2012
3,503
134
63
Don't know much about the family. I do have an old Peavy Artist (tube) that I bought second hand while at State. I like to play through it when nobody is home and I can play loud. Great sounding amp with almost endless power.
 

Dawg1976

All-Conference
Aug 22, 2012
8,368
2,894
113
Locals in the Meridian area know he is an ***. Can't believe he agreed to do this show.
 

drt7891

Redshirt
Dec 6, 2010
6,727
0
0
I watched it and I'm pretty sure he took most of it as a total joke. I don't much care for the show or peavey. He's done a lot more harm than good for meridian over the years.
 

vhdawg

All-Conference
Sep 29, 2004
4,867
2,765
113
He may be a POS but the equipment he put out in conjunction with a certain Mr. Van Halen was top notch. I have an old 5150 combo amp and one of the last Peavey Wolfgangs, and they're both great, though I'd love to trade the combo amp up for one of the newer Fender-built ones.
 

Wooly17er

Redshirt
Dec 15, 2011
765
0
0
Put it all in bucket, and know what you'd have then??

Seriously, though. Use some bait next time you go fishing. Nobody brags about catching fish poop.

#SNLturns40
 

clayn123

Redshirt
Jun 22, 2013
14
0
0
His son graduated Meridian High the same year my brother did. If was a down pour and while everyone was under their umbrellas, he got up and worked on the speakers to keep them working. Don't much about him, but I thought that was impressive.
 

lazlow

Senior
Jul 9, 2009
1,294
617
113
Peavy guitar amps suck ***....his PA systems, PA amps and bass rigs are a different story....but the guitar amps always sounded like **** (unless you like country i guess)....and sure Eddie Van Halen may've had a wall of 5150's on stage but everyone knows his main amp was a marshall.
 

Wicked Pissah

Redshirt
Aug 22, 2012
1,437
0
0
Peavy guitar amps suck ***....his PA systems, PA amps and bass rigs are a different story....but the guitar amps always sounded like **** (unless you like country i guess)....and sure Eddie Van Halen may've had a wall of 5150's on stage but everyone knows his main amp was a marshall.

No to all of this. Everything you said.
 

vhdawg

All-Conference
Sep 29, 2004
4,867
2,765
113
Peavy guitar amps suck ***....his PA systems, PA amps and bass rigs are a different story....but the guitar amps always sounded like **** (unless you like country i guess)....and sure Eddie Van Halen may've had a wall of 5150's on stage but everyone knows his main amp was a marshall.

Ed doesn't play through a Marshall on stage and hasn't in decades.
 

treeddeep

Redshirt
Jun 7, 2013
1,061
0
0
Peavy guitar amps suck ***....his PA systems, PA amps and bass rigs are a different story....but the guitar amps always sounded like **** (unless you like country i guess)....and sure Eddie Van Halen may've had a wall of 5150's on stage but everyone knows his main amp was a marshall.

Spoken like a dude who truly has no idea what he is talking about. 5150 heads are tougher than nails
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Rivals Football Recruiting How Kamario Taylor's success is helping Mississippi State recruit top quarterbacks
  2. 02 Maroon and White Football Jett Jefferson's early impact elevating Mississippi State secondary
  3. 03 Maroon and White Football "I gotta give it all I got": Mississippi State WR Anthony Evans III on crucial 4th quarter catch
  4. 04 Maroon and White Football Points of Focus from Mississippi State HC Jeff Lebby heading into Week 5
  5. 05 Rivals Football Recruiting Wiltfong Whiparound: Mega prediction for Kentucky; Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi State all made big recruiting moves in week four