OT: Trimmer line

Ozarkdawg

Senior
Apr 1, 2017
854
707
93
Was picking up a pack of trimmer line for a weed eater this weekend. Just your plain Jane spool. Guy walking by said to soak it for at least 2 days in water prior to installing and it would last a lot longer because it wouldn't cut as easily on fences and similar items. Anyone ever heard this? Or can verify it one way or the other? I guess it couldn't hurt to try on a 10' piece before installing.
 
Jan 9, 2016
2,354
342
83
Don't know for certain this is the cause but I have a Stihl and had that problem. I started reducing the length of line I would load in the spool and it seems to have helped. I only load 9-10 ft now.
 

dogmatic001

Junior
Sep 30, 2022
269
288
63
would be curious to know, first gut is that it is plastic and not sure how this would be a thing. while on the subject, anyone have any winding tips so that it doesn't jam up and stop dispensing, particularly on a Stihl ?

edited to add this link https://toolsadvisers.com/should-you-soak-weed-eater-line-in-water/

I have heard this many times and had exactly the same thought -- how can soaking plastic in water change anything about anything?

I have found I can make the string last longer by letting the trimmer cut at idle speeds instead of wide open throttle speeds, but I've never soaked anything, Mormon-style or otherwise.

ETA: I read the linked article and maybe there's something to it. I didn't know nylon absorbed water. If it does, I see the point.
 

The Peeper

Heisman
Feb 26, 2008
16,737
12,499
113
Several videos on YouTube saying to spray WD40 into the hole the line comes out of and it would keep the line from sticking together as the head gets hot and eliminate jams and breaks. Lubricating the head sounds like a good idea to eliminate things from sticking together and the jams to me......
 

dawgman42

All-American
Jul 24, 2007
6,307
6,457
113
Lubricating the head sounds like a good idea to eliminate things from sticking together and the jams to me......
 
  • Like
Reactions: Darryl Steight
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White Mississippi State Bye Week Checklist: What Needs Work?
  2. 02 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State Bye Week Watchlist
  3. 03 Maroon and White Mississippi State Basketball tipoff times finalized
  4. 04 Rivals Basketball Recruiting Mississippi State, Maryland & UCF talking visits with 4-star forward K'Nard Callendar
  5. 05 Maroon and White Football "Fine line": Mississippi State HC Jeff Lebby speaks on managing health and preparation