OT: The Little Things

DAWG61

Redshirt
Feb 26, 2008
10,111
0
0
Best movie I've seen in a minute. Denzel Washington, Jared Leto, Rami Malek. Detective thriller. Similar to first season of True Detective. You can stream it on HBO Max if you're looking for something to watch.
 

Faustdog

All-Conference
Jun 4, 2007
4,181
2,739
113
I enjoyed it mostly. On the other hand...

Call me old fashioned, but if I watch a two hour serial killer movie, I want to know who the killer is in the end.
 

tenureplan

All-Conference
Dec 3, 2008
8,582
1,220
113
Seemed like a Seven remake but only half as good. Should have been named 3.5 or Treefiddy
 

PBRME

All-American
Feb 12, 2004
11,398
5,485
113
After watching it I thought that might be the worst movie I’ve seen in a while. Maybe time will make it better.
 

mcdawg22

Heisman
Sep 18, 2004
13,653
12,156
113
The scene is the middle of nowhere had a very Seven feel about it.
I thought it was weird that Sparma ordered a Shirley temple at the bar. Like he didn’t drink. Did he keep the Busch in his refrigerator to make it look like he did it? Was he the one that watched from across the street? Did he go to the restaurant with Roast Beef because he knew he was being tailed? I have to watch again.
 

JungRebel

Redshirt
Aug 23, 2012
2,606
0
0
SPOILERS INSIDE

I'm mixed on it because I thought the cinematography and acting were good. Leto in particular was outstanding. The plot was OK and it does leave you wondering. I'm not sure that Leto reveals things that the public wouldn't know or, if he does, he might have gotten it from the scanner. I need to rewatch to see if so. The way the film portrays Leto's "souvenirs" makes me think he is the guy. There are clippings from the recent killings and from the one Denzel cant get over. And of course the car in the opening seems like his too. On the other hand the movie does just enough to instill doubt that he is not really the guy but just a borderline madman with an obsession and a lot of circumstantial evidence pointing his way.
 
Aug 22, 2012
2,761
1
31
Spoilers

I've read a review that posited the movie isn't about who did it but rather about Denzel's character looking for redemption from his big mistake (why he pays so much attention to that cross on the highway) and giving that redemption to Malek's character via the barrette. Made sense to me.
 

maroonmania

All-Conference
Feb 23, 2008
11,354
1,143
113
Well it would settled things a lot more if Denzel had actually found a red barrette rather than having to go purchase one.
 

tired

All-Conference
Sep 16, 2013
3,731
1,501
113
It was good, but not great. Denzel is the best and Leto is just one of the greatest method actors. Malek is just not very good in it. He always seem so awkward in everything, I don't dig him.

Slight hijack, Let Him Go with Costner is a good one.
 

DAWG61

Redshirt
Feb 26, 2008
10,111
0
0
Maybe not 100% revealing it was Leto was done on purpose so the viewer can understand what the detectives will live with. Doubt if they choose for it to be there. That's why Denzel sends Rami the note "no Angels" and the red barrette. To help him remove that doubt.
 

JungRebel

Redshirt
Aug 23, 2012
2,606
0
0
For sure that's what I think was the main goal of the film. Denzel has learned to live with it and recognizes through his own past mistakes that having it eat at you will just kill you and make those around miserable. Denzel has been the man 'left holding the shovel' before and knows what's ahead of the other detective if he doesnt get closure quickly. Although in Denzels case he made a much worse mistake years ago.
 

Crucifictorious

Freshman
Jan 31, 2012
513
52
28
I read an interview with the writer/director who said he wrote this 30 years ago before Se7en came out. So he says.

I wondered about all the Christian imagery. The biblical verse on the wall, the pictures of Jesus in the hotel and the repair shop. The big cross. Leto looking like Jesus with a beer belly. Someone smarter than me will have to explain what it meant.
 

JungRebel

Redshirt
Aug 23, 2012
2,606
0
0
I just have to add that, if I ever found myself in that 'motel,' especially with 'company,' the last thing I would want to see on the wall is a big *** portrait of Jesus Christ. Odd aesthetic choice for the joint but gave me a laugh.
 

DAWG61

Redshirt
Feb 26, 2008
10,111
0
0
I think some of it was used to put seeds of doubt in the viewers mind that Denzel was actually the killer not Leto. The more I think of small details in the movie the more it points to Denzel not Leto. This is why I say the movie is good. It keeps you thinking of details like you're the detective not the actors.
 

JungRebel

Redshirt
Aug 23, 2012
2,606
0
0
This is interesting, I can see a few things but Leto's character would just be the most amazing ex machina for Deke if he is the man. What all do you think points to Deke?
 

DAWG61

Redshirt
Feb 26, 2008
10,111
0
0
I started typing it out but it's a lot. Watch it again only this time go in looking for clues for why it could be Denzel and remember he says to Malek "it's the little things that get you caught". He doesn't say "it's the little things that get him (Leto) caught". That's a little detail but that's what the movie is all about imo. "The Little Things". The director lets you be the detective. I'll give you one other one though, if Denzel is the killer it would explain the red barrette and why Denzel knows Malek will never find it.
 

JungRebel

Redshirt
Aug 23, 2012
2,606
0
0
I dont know who keeps downvoting you because this is interesting enough for me. I think Deke is implying to the other detective that he should remember what his wife does for him in case there is infidelity but I couldnt otherwise figure out that line. The boots are something that sticks out to me. I'll rewatch it down the line and see what I see.
 

PBRME

All-American
Feb 12, 2004
11,398
5,485
113
It’s not Denzel.

Denzel’s story was about keeping His replacement from following the same path of destruction.

The question of the killer is only if Leto is guilty or innocent. They did a good job of he did it, but maybe not.
 

LawDawg97

Redshirt
Sep 7, 2012
1,138
0
0
It’s not Denzel.

Denzel’s story was about keeping His replacement from following the same path of destruction.

The question of the killer is only if Leto is guilty or innocent. They did a good job of he did it, but maybe not.

I was thinking the same thing. Not even a hint that it’s Denzel. He had his destructive moment but it was while he was investigating a fresh crime scene. If he was the killer he could’ve easily planted evidence in Leto’s house to frame him. Or the girl they brought in to ID the killer would’ve said her attacker was black. Pretty weak to think the plot was going there. I also agree the movie overall wasn’t as good as it could have been.
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White Football Anthony Evans III posts highest PFN WR grade of Week 5
  2. 02 Maroon and White Football Standout Stats: No. 7 Alabama 56-23 No. 16 Mississippi State
  3. 03 Maroon and White Football Unpacking Mississippi State's offensive unraveling against Alabama
  4. 04 Maroon and White Football "Learning Moments": Mississippi State HC Jeff Lebby speaks on rough outing for QB Kamario Taylor
  5. 05 Maroon and White Football "We let ourselves down": Isaac Smith and Anthony Evans III speak on Mississippi State's defeat to Alabama