Upthemiddlex3Punt and Fishwater or anyone else who is fluent in SPACs:
I've read the wiki on r/spacs that was linked in a thread last week. I think I understand the basics of how they work. I am curious about how the actual transactions occur after a merger actually happens, if it happens. For example, one SPAC being discussed in r/spacs is ITAC. Industrial Tech Acquisitions, Inc. (NASDAQ:ITACU) "Each unit issued in the IPO consists of one share of Class A common stock and one warrant to acquire one share of Class A common stock at an exercise price of $11.50 per share. Once the securities comprising the units begin separate trading, the shares of Class A common stock and warrants are expected to be traded on NASDAQ under the symbols “ITAC” and “ITACW”, respectively."
So buying one share of ITACU is equivalent to buying one share each of ITAC and ITACW? If the merger happens, one share of ITAC converts to one share of the new stock? If the merger fails to happen the IPO price plus interest is only returned to ITAC or ITACU shareholders. ITACW owners would get nothing if a merger doesn't happen. In this example, if the merger happens and the owner of a warrant wants to convert their warrant into a share of the new stock, it just costs them an additional $11.50 at the time of conversion and that must be done within a specified period of time after the merger? Warrant owners could also sell their warrant. If the merger happens, does the ITACU share convert into one share of new stock plus you retain the warrant which allows you to buy an additional share of new stock for $11.50? So as long as the new stock sells for more than $11.25, ($11 + $11.50)/2, you make a profit. Am I following correctly?
I've read the wiki on r/spacs that was linked in a thread last week. I think I understand the basics of how they work. I am curious about how the actual transactions occur after a merger actually happens, if it happens. For example, one SPAC being discussed in r/spacs is ITAC. Industrial Tech Acquisitions, Inc. (NASDAQ:ITACU) "Each unit issued in the IPO consists of one share of Class A common stock and one warrant to acquire one share of Class A common stock at an exercise price of $11.50 per share. Once the securities comprising the units begin separate trading, the shares of Class A common stock and warrants are expected to be traded on NASDAQ under the symbols “ITAC” and “ITACW”, respectively."
So buying one share of ITACU is equivalent to buying one share each of ITAC and ITACW? If the merger happens, one share of ITAC converts to one share of the new stock? If the merger fails to happen the IPO price plus interest is only returned to ITAC or ITACU shareholders. ITACW owners would get nothing if a merger doesn't happen. In this example, if the merger happens and the owner of a warrant wants to convert their warrant into a share of the new stock, it just costs them an additional $11.50 at the time of conversion and that must be done within a specified period of time after the merger? Warrant owners could also sell their warrant. If the merger happens, does the ITACU share convert into one share of new stock plus you retain the warrant which allows you to buy an additional share of new stock for $11.50? So as long as the new stock sells for more than $11.25, ($11 + $11.50)/2, you make a profit. Am I following correctly?