OT: Smart TVs

grinningmule

Heisman
Jul 15, 2021
5,454
20,215
113
My last two TVs:
A 58" Panasonic Viera plasma bought in 2009 and still in use daily by my Mom.
A 70" Sharp Aquos LCD bought in 2014 and still in use daily at my house.
Panasonic has recently reentered the TV market so will keep on top of reviews when time comes for a new one.
 

mstateglfr

All-American
Feb 24, 2008
16,897
6,720
113
 

leeinator

All-Conference
Feb 24, 2014
2,779
2,003
113
I have a Sharp Aquos 60" with no smart functions and still running well after 20 years.
 

vhdawg

All-Conference
Sep 29, 2004
4,894
2,816
113
Get a Roku TV and don't look back. I have Samsungs and inevitably they stop updating their apps and I wind up using a Roku anyway.
 

vhdawg

All-Conference
Sep 29, 2004
4,894
2,816
113
I've had the same TV (Samsung) for 12 years.

As much of a shock it is to everyone, I only have 10 TV's.**
DS has had the same TV for 12 years. He's gotten ten other ones since he bought that one, but he still does have that one.
 
  • Like
Reactions: dawgstudent

leeinator

All-Conference
Feb 24, 2014
2,779
2,003
113
Get a Roku TV and don't look back. I have Samsungs and inevitably they stop updating their apps and I wind up using a Roku anyway.
I'm not gonna buy a new tv if I don't need one. I'll just go to Walmart and get a Roku hookup for about $30. I have yet to see a picture better than my 20-year-old 60" Sharp Aquos....."Ooohhh Myyyyyy!!
 

Uncle Ruckus

All-American
Apr 1, 2011
15,324
6,712
113
Buy a regular tv and add a good streaming device (Roku Ultra). The Ultra is listed at $99 but you can find them much cheaper especially around holidays and you can upgrade it easily and cheaply

View attachment 1289950
Do they make regular TVs? My last two TVs were Samsung's from Sams. They look good but they are slow as hell, so I use a roku. I'd much, much rather have a non-smart tv.
 

The Peeper

Heisman
Feb 26, 2008
16,724
12,486
113
Second on the Bosch dishwasher. They're good.
I'll 3rd it. I literally have to put my ear to it and carefully listen to see if it's running. There's a red light that shines on the floor when it's running but otherwise it has no sound whatsoever. We've only had it about 3 years but no problems
 

ababyatemydingo

All-Conference
Nov 27, 2008
4,102
3,054
113
Second on the Bosch dishwasher. They're good.
speed queen or maytag commercial. everything else is pure trash. get a speed queen without all the fancy electronics. the TC5 is will last for 30 years or more. and has a full bumper to bumper 5 year warranty that includes in home service, parts, and labor.
 
  • Like
Reactions: patdog

Nicephorus123

Redshirt
Nov 17, 2022
20
16
3
Either go with something cheap or splurge on ultra short throw projector with light rejecting screen. Screen can be motorized and floor rising if wife wants it hidden behind media stand when not in use although the wall mounted screens look lot better than a tv. They mount flush to wall with no cords and only weigh about 50 lbs
 

patdog

Heisman
May 28, 2007
60,542
31,800
113
speed queen or maytag commercial. everything else is pure trash. get a speed queen without all the fancy electronics. the TC5 is will last for 30 years or more. and has a full bumper to bumper 5 year warranty that includes in home service, parts, and labor.
I've heard the speed queens for washers and dryers are the best. Makes sense. Those things take a lot more abuse in the laundromats than they ever would in a home.
 

Dawg1976

All-Conference
Aug 22, 2012
8,389
2,920
113
My last two TVs:
A 58" Panasonic Viera plasma bought in 2009 and still in use daily by my Mom.
A 70" Sharp Aquos LCD bought in 2014 and still in use daily at my house.
Panasonic has recently reentered the TV market so will keep on top of reviews when time comes for a new one.
Unfortunately Panasonic has effectively left the U.S. market again. Earlier this year they outsourced all production to a Chinese firm. No longer made in Japan. If you don’t mind buying a Chinese tv might as well get a TCL or Hisense. I own a Sony Bravia and a LG Oled. Btw….Sony just sold off a chunk of their production to TCL. By this time next year Sony TV’s will come from China. Oh well…..
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White Baseball "This is Home": 2028 OF Axton Westmoreland commits to Mississippi State
  2. 02 Maroon and White Basketball Mississippi State MBK Assistants speak on size and length added to 26-27 squad
  3. 03 Maroon and White Football "Go make the play": Mississippi State HC Jeff Lebby on Defense and responding to Alabama game
  4. 04 Maroon and White Basketball Mississippi State WBK to play exhibition at Choctaw Central HS
  5. 05 Rivals Football Recruiting WR Darion Moseley backs off pledge to Arkansas, has Big Ten and SEC schools on his list