OT: RIP Fernando Valenzuela

PSU Mike

All-American
Jul 28, 2001
4,704
8,259
113
Oh man. I adopted the Dodgers in 1976. I recall in vivid detail his start in 1981, fighting Dad for the York Daily Record sports section the day after his starts (even though they went to print so early you often only got a basic blurb on west coast games). All us kids tried to replicate that screwball from Day 1. R.I.P.
 

BobPSU92

Heisman
Aug 22, 2001
45,566
37,763
113
It was reported recently that he had stepped away from calling Dodgers games due to illness.

I was a kid growing up in Orange County, CA when Fernandomania hit. It was a huge deal.

R.I.P., Fernando. 😞
 

Nits74

All-Conference
May 14, 2010
1,237
1,964
113
Seems like just yesterday that he burst onto the scene. When the Dodgers were in Pittsburgh and he was scheduled to pitch, I made sure to get a ticket.

I'm old, now I feel ancient.
 

Catch1lion

All-American
Oct 12, 2021
4,238
7,190
113
At 3 Rivers Stadium , I remember chatting with Mark Cresse the dodgers bullpen coach during the early Fernando years . Fernando was warming up and we were talking about weightlifting . Mark flipped me a warm up ball . I asked him if Fernando could sign it , and he said he doesn’t sign on game days . Still have that ball among my collectibles . FV was quite the man at the time .
 
  • Like
Reactions: Bob78
BWI

Latest

  1. 01 BWI Football Penn State has an identity problem. Matt Campbell knows fixing it starts with him
  2. 02 BWI Football First Impressions from Penn State's embarrassing 34-13 loss at Northwestern
  3. 03 BWI Football Penn State Defensive Film Thread: Reviewing the Gory Details of a 400-Yard Rushing Performance
  4. 04 BWI Football How did Penn State's players perform vs. Northwestern? PFF Snap Counts & Grades
  5. 05 BWI Football 9 things I think after Penn State fails from start to finish at Northwestern: Will it somehow get worse before it gets better?