If you have photos, old VHS, reel, or other analog sources of family memories, you can of course buy equipment and storage to "convert" them to digital yourself. If you have the time, it's perfectly fine to run scanners, video converters, etc., to store locally or even online if you want. I used to do this, but the sheer volume of what I had made me almost lock up and stop doing it.
Back in December, I took all my videos from VHS, VHS-C, and miniDV sources to a local shop and had them convert everything for me. I gave them new, empty 512GB and 256GB flash drives, and they were still able to fit about 75 tapes onto a single 512GB stick with excellent quality (low or no compression). I paid about $750 to do it, but it was worth every stinking penny. I've since copied the files onto my computer's internal backup hard drive, onto two external hard drives that are only plugged in when I need them, and to my Google Drive account (I've been paying for expanded storage for 8 years, so no biggie for me) where I can share them privately via YouTube with the family. I'm also about to put the files along with all my digital photos that are also backed up on multiple sources in a safety deposit box, since I want true off-site storage. You really can't appreciate the piece of mind I have getting decades of old tapes converted to an easily playable, sharable, and transferable format. I don't have to worry about my old VCR having drive head issues, or if I can find a Firewire card to put in my computer and that works with Windows 10; issues of the past. It's also been great to seamlessly stream the videos around the house on any TV, phone, or computer and show my kids and family some old memories on the fly.