OT: Mississippi River Trail

TrueMaroonGrind

All-Conference
Jan 6, 2017
4,126
1,684
113
Has anyone attempted to bike the Mississippi River Trail or at least the southern part? I was thinking of doing maybe Memphis to New Orleans after I get into really good shape. It’s probably a long shot, but if anyone has any experience at all it would be good to know how it was and where you stopped.
 

DoggieDaddy13

All-Conference
Dec 23, 2017
3,925
2,317
113
Has anyone attempted to bike the Mississippi River Trail or at least the southern part? I was thinking of doing maybe Memphis to New Orleans after I get into really good shape. It’s probably a long shot, but if anyone has any experience at all it would be good to know how it was and where you stopped.

Pedal fast and don't stop anywhere north of Vicksburg. The mosquitoes will tear your *** up.
 

mstateglfr

All-American
Feb 24, 2008
16,866
6,681
113
Ive ridden parts of the designated trail in Iowa, Illinois, and Wisconsin.
It was mostly just The Great River Road's path in the parts that I rode. Not sure if thats the same for Mississippi.


Curious- why do you want to do the MRT instead of riding the Natchez Trace? Thats what I see mentioned more frequently as a North/South route.
Will you fully bag it or hit up hotels?
 

PirateDawg

Redshirt
Jan 9, 2020
1,751
0
0
What bicycle seat do you have? I would have to get a gel one to make a trip like that. It sounds like a great trip!
 

Xenomorph

Heisman
Feb 15, 2007
16,104
10,616
113
The Penetrator just hit the market. If I've got it pegged right..

It would add some stimulation to any ride.

 

TrueMaroonGrind

All-Conference
Jan 6, 2017
4,126
1,684
113
Ive ridden parts of the designated trail in Iowa, Illinois, and Wisconsin.
It was mostly just The Great River Road's path in the parts that I rode. Not sure if thats the same for Mississippi.


Curious- why do you want to do the MRT instead of riding the Natchez Trace? Thats what I see mentioned more frequently as a North/South route.
Will you fully bag it or hit up hotels?

No reason other than I like to try things I’ve never done and biking the length of MS seems like a major accomplishment. I saw the MS river trail runs all the way from Minnesota and there is no way I could swing that vacation wise. I hadn’t looked into the trace yet. I’ll do some research on that.

I’m planning on doing a 2 day tanglefoot trail ride. It is a 90 mile round trip. It should give me a good impression of the ride distance wise per day.
 

mstateglfr

All-American
Feb 24, 2008
16,866
6,681
113
What bicycle seat do you have? I would have to get a gel one to make a trip like that. It sounds like a great trip!

Or one that isnt soft and squishy since that style saddle often does the opposite of whats intended- it puts pressure on your soft and squishy bits. A saddle that has the correct curve and width for your sitbones is most important for comfort over distance.

Soft squishy gel saddles are good for upright cruisers and trip that are limited in distahce to the local candy store.
 

mstateglfr

All-American
Feb 24, 2008
16,866
6,681
113
No reason other than I like to try things I’ve never done and biking the length of MS seems like a major accomplishment. I saw the MS river trail runs all the way from Minnesota and there is no way I could swing that vacation wise. I hadn’t looked into the trace yet. I’ll do some research on that.

I’m planning on doing a 2 day tanglefoot trail ride. It is a 90 mile round trip. It should give me a good impression of the ride distance wise per day.

Riding the MRT from Memphis to NO would definitely be a major accomplishment and really cool goal. Bonus that it is overall downhill and is almost totally flat(like 6' of climb per mile).

If you havent toured with bags before...
- lay out what you want to bring and see if you can reduce it from there. Gear weight can be a literal drag.
- figure out if you like to ride early or ride late. There is no right or wrong, but whichever you prefer will affect other things like where you stay at night, your plans for food, sights you see, etc.
- 45miles per day can be easily accomplished within the day, but if this is your first time stringing together 10 consecutive ride days, maybe give yourself a day's rest in the middle around Vicksburg to recoup and regroup(laundry, etc)
 

Crazy Cotton

All-Conference
Aug 26, 2012
3,909
1,704
113
Back in the 90's I used to do the Bike Across Mississippi ride that the Bike Rack sponsored, don't know if that's still a thing. It was about 160 miles in 2 days, seemed like we stopped at a state park. The route was mostly highway 80 from what I remember. 80 miles a day on a bike is very doable for anybody in even decent shape.
 

The Maroon Pug

Freshman
Feb 12, 2013
995
58
28
Get a gravel bike with a lot of attachment points & a lot of tire clearance in the frame. Something like a Trek CheckPoint (I love my CheckPoint).
 

LandArchDawg

Junior
Sep 14, 2003
2,582
248
63
Most of the MRT is rural two lane roads rather than being actual separated from car traffic trail. It is best to bike with a group for safety and visibility in those situations. People still do it by themselves, but they are pretty much taking their lives into their own hands.
 

The Maroon Pug

Freshman
Feb 12, 2013
995
58
28
Gravel Bikes are pretty much hardtail's with a dropbar. I have GravelKing 43 Tires on my CheckPoint, which can ride anything from road to chunky county roads and hold good speed.
 

mstateglfr

All-American
Feb 24, 2008
16,866
6,681
113
Are these able to ride on the shoulder?

Why ride on a shoulder?...it's a road and its legal to ride on.
Just pick routes that have 2 lane 2 way roads so cars can easily pass and roads that are lower trafficked.
 

mstateglfr

All-American
Feb 24, 2008
16,866
6,681
113
Most of the MRT is rural two lane roads rather than being actual separated from car traffic trail. It is best to bike with a group for safety and visibility in those situations. People still do it by themselves, but they are pretty much taking their lives into their own hands.

Visibility is important. You act like someone is offering themselves up for sacrifice if they ride on rural 2 lane roads without others.
Cyclists are allowed to ride and its the responsibility of drivers to safely pass.


Personally, I would map out as many gravel/unpaved roads that run along the river as possible. But that's because I would rather have solitude and enjoy the less developed areas.
 

TimberBeast

Senior
Aug 23, 2012
1,142
566
113
Back in the 90's I used to do the Bike Across Mississippi ride that the Bike Rack sponsored, don't know if that's still a thing. It was about 160 miles in 2 days, seemed like we stopped at a state park. The route was mostly highway 80 from what I remember. 80 miles a day on a bike is very doable for anybody in even decent shape.

I was going to ask if BAM still existed or not. I did it when I was in 9th grade and it was a lot of fun. It started in Kiwanee and ended in Vicksburg where everyone dipped their tires in the river when they finished. The stop for the night was at Roosevelt state park. I’ll never forget all the serious guys that did the entire trip in one day flying past everyone else between Jackson and Vicksburg.
 

greenbean.sixpack

All-American
Oct 6, 2012
9,403
8,831
113
Cyclists are allowed to ride and its the responsibility of drivers to safely pass.

This is true, but knowing how bad Mississippis drivers are, rural MS drivers are even worse and that's before you consider they are texting and driving much of the time. It is the drivers responsibility, but knowing that many rural Mississippians are broke and have little for no insurance, you have to consider your fiduciary, spousal and parental duties and who would carry them out if you were killed or injured by a careless driver.
 

TrueMaroonGrind

All-Conference
Jan 6, 2017
4,126
1,684
113
Riding the MRT from Memphis to NO would definitely be a major accomplishment and really cool goal. Bonus that it is overall downhill and is almost totally flat(like 6' of climb per mile).

If you havent toured with bags before...
- lay out what you want to bring and see if you can reduce it from there. Gear weight can be a literal drag.
- figure out if you like to ride early or ride late. There is no right or wrong, but whichever you prefer will affect other things like where you stay at night, your plans for food, sights you see, etc.
- 45miles per day can be easily accomplished within the day, but if this is your first time stringing together 10 consecutive ride days, maybe give yourself a day's rest in the middle around Vicksburg to recoup and regroup(laundry, etc)

I am a complete newbie, so I’ve done nothing like this before. Thanks for the good advice. I’ll pick your brain some more when I get closer to the trip.
 

Bullldawg78

All-Conference
Aug 30, 2018
1,745
1,435
113
I would say while you're getting in shape consider doing RAGBRAI across Iowa it's a great time. 30,000 riders great night time parties friendly people. You get to dip your front tire in the Mississippi at the end !
 

Bullldawg78

All-Conference
Aug 30, 2018
1,745
1,435
113
Done RAGBRAI twice, interesting can people, great food, should be a bucket list type thing if you ride.
 

Rezdog

Junior
Oct 25, 2015
523
351
63
Ive always wanted to do RAGBRAI & Dirty Kanza. Both look like amazing experiences & routes.

Cool to see so many cyclists on sixpack. Hoping to do Dirty Kanza soon. I was able to participate in the Delta Epic this past year. It's a grass roots race from Hernando to Bentonia almost all gravel. If I were you, I would definitely use a gravel bike for that ride. A lot more cushion for a longer ride.
 

DawgNsuds

Senior
Jun 4, 2007
950
682
93
My neighbor approached me about doing the Trace, I believe it is 444 Miles from Nashville to Natchez, my sister made the trek so now I feel the sibling pressure to match it. Was advised to start from Nashville rather than Natchez. Also will be riding Tanglefoot soon.

No reason other than I like to try things I’ve never done and biking the length of MS seems like a major accomplishment. I saw the MS river trail runs all the way from Minnesota and there is no way I could swing that vacation wise. I hadn’t looked into the trace yet. I’ll do some research on that.

I’m planning on doing a 2 day tanglefoot trail ride. It is a 90 mile round trip. It should give me a good impression of the ride distance wise per day.
 

patdog

Heisman
May 28, 2007
60,392
31,575
113
Cyclists are allowed to ride and its the responsibility of drivers to safely pass.
That's going to be little consolation to you if you get hit by a truck. And with drivers on their phones, it's even more dangerous than ever out there. I'd be VERY careful where you ride. Actually, I quit riding after a friend had her life changed forever when she got hit by a truck.
 

mstateglfr

All-American
Feb 24, 2008
16,866
6,681
113
Ive always wanted to do RAGBRAI & Dirty Kanza. Both look like amazing experiences & routes.

Cool to see so many cyclists on sixpack. Hoping to do Dirty Kanza soon. I was able to participate in the Delta Epic this past year. It's a grass roots race from Hernando to Bentonia almost all gravel. If I were you, I would definitely use a gravel bike for that ride. A lot more cushion for a longer ride.

ragbrai is a blast- I do it yearly with a youth mentor group I help run. We train a few times a week for 4 months leading up to ragbrai and the kids all have 1000mi before ragbrai starts. Riding it with teens is a very different way than how most ride, but whats so neat is that there are many ways to ride ragbrai and all can be fun. You have the hard drinkers and partiers, the 1 day riders who dust off their bikes becuase ragbrai happens to be close to their town, the families, the groups of friends that come from across the country as a reunion each year, the baggers, and many more.
I really hope this year will be fun, even though participation will be lower due to covid.


As for DK, remember that its now called UG...or really Unbound Gravel. Not to get too controversial, but damn that new name just doesnt make for nearly the same impact. I dont know why anyone would interpret DK to mean the Kaw Nation is dirty. It clearly refers to the flint gravel roads within Kansas. I agree with the idea that we should treat indigenous history with respect, this just didnt seem like a time when it was disrespectful. Minnesota, Iowa, Illinois, and really over half our states were named based on Native American tribes/Nations and language.
Now 1 state south in Oklahoma, I understand why they changed the Land Run gravel race name. 'MidSouth' isnt the best change, but with the very direct and known history of the Oklahoma Land Run, I get why that isnt something to celebrate.
DK/UG would be super cool to try, but 200mi of that flint gravel sounds treacherous. Its wild to see how many tires slash, drivetrains seize, etc.



Rez- Ive read about the Delta Epic on multiple occasions. That seems like a really cool endurance event. I tried to get into 2 of the MS Gravel Series races that took place a few months ago, but registration was full. The Ackerman one woulda been really neat. Hopefully next season I can get in and MSU will have a home basketball game that weekend too.
 

mstateglfr

All-American
Feb 24, 2008
16,866
6,681
113
That's going to be little consolation to you if you get hit by a truck. And with drivers on their phones, it's even more dangerous than ever out there. I'd be VERY careful where you ride. Actually, I quit riding after a friend had her life changed forever when she got hit by a truck.

Completely understand the danger. I ride thousands of miles each year and its 60% gravel, 20% low traffic paved country roads, and 20% 2 lane paved where cars easily just pass in the left lane. I specifically stay away from heavily trafficked roads.

Riding on the shoulder can be an option if that shoulder is paved and in good condition. Many roads out west have wide shoulders so sure- that can be an option. It isnt anything I would ever plan for when there are low traffic alternatives that are unpaved. Vehicle speed is slower on gravel and there are fewer vehicles too- thats what I would choose if I were concerned that its too dangerous to ride a bike in a state due to its people's lack of GAS level.
 

The Maroon Pug

Freshman
Feb 12, 2013
995
58
28
Delta Epic is a bomb race. I have done two of the Mississippi Gravel Cup races, Rockcrusher and OMG, but Delta Epic is on another level.
 

mstateglfr

All-American
Feb 24, 2008
16,866
6,681
113
This is the EXACT type of post I would expect from you.

Get 17ed.

I suggested picking routes with 2 lane 2 way roads since those allow traffic to move around cyclists and since these are often in towns/cities where traffic will be more consistent too.
I also suggested picking roads that are lower trafficked.


Those are very reasonable and well established ways to choose routing and are way better than feeling forced onto a shoulder that is often times not in good repair and will have debris that pops tires and can cause injury.
 

mstateglfr

All-American
Feb 24, 2008
16,866
6,681
113
Delta Epic is a bomb race. I have done two of the Mississippi Gravel Cup races, Rockcrusher and OMG, but Delta Epic is on another level.

Have you done the Delta Epic as a solo race or as a relay?
300mi races are crazy. Crazy cool and crazy crazy.

We used to have a race in Iowa called TransIowa which ran for 13 or 14 years. It ended and an ultra-endurance cyclist took up the void by creating Iowa Wind and Rock. Its a 340ish mile gravel race that takes place in April, so the weather is typically rough and wide ranging.
https://iowawindandrock.com/

The race director has a series of races and one that is also historically brutal is the Spotted Horse which is a 150mi or 200mi race in a hilly area of the state and takes place in October when...weather is typically rough and wide ranging. So many WDs each year.
https://spottedhorsecycling.com/#:~:text=Spotted Horse Gravel Ultra – October,Charles, Iowa



I stick to the 100k or 100mi gravel races each year. Those are all I can handle for preparation and execution because I am spent after riding as hard as I can for 100mi. I always look at whats beyond and admire those that can do the 150, 200, 300mi races. It takes a really unique mindset and drive to do those.
 

Rezdog

Junior
Oct 25, 2015
523
351
63
Delta Epic is awesome. I raced the entire gravel cup series. Jason puts on a great event.
 

The Maroon Pug

Freshman
Feb 12, 2013
995
58
28
Have you done the Delta Epic as a solo race or as a relay?

I trained to do the Solo Race in the Delta Epic a few years ago, but work got in the way and had to back out. Probably going to train up again for the Relay in 2022. Where are the routes for those races? Those races look dope.

We need a SPS relay team. Complete with Dale's Performance drinks & Mole Repelent Spray, and cycle in the left lane 24/7.
 

TrueMaroonGrind

All-Conference
Jan 6, 2017
4,126
1,684
113
My neighbor approached me about doing the Trace, I believe it is 444 Miles from Nashville to Natchez, my sister made the trek so now I feel the sibling pressure to match it. Was advised to start from Nashville rather than Natchez. Also will be riding Tanglefoot soon.

I did some research after glfr recommended it. Seems like a really nice ride. I had no idea it was a big cycling route. I really don’t ever drive on it though.
 

SWFLDawg

Redshirt
Feb 27, 2008
158
0
16
I rode the far southern 20 miles starting at Audubon park, going past the airport and back for a 40 mile ride in March on my road bike. Good concrete surface. Cool to ride along the working waterway and seeing the riverfront cabins just outside the city.
 

TrueMaroonGrind

All-Conference
Jan 6, 2017
4,126
1,684
113
I rode the far southern 20 miles starting at Audubon park, going past the airport and back for a 40 mile ride in March on my road bike. Good concrete surface. Cool to ride along the working waterway and seeing the riverfront cabins just outside the city.

Is that in NOLA?
 

PCHSDawg

Junior
Nov 12, 2014
357
335
63
Delta Epic is awesome. I raced the entire gravel cup series. Jason puts on a great event.
I didn't race the gravel series this year, did the local race (Camp Shelby) last year. Did the entire series in 2019 on my SS hardtail, before they had a SS category. I ride Camp Shelby a lot, but the gravel is just road riding to train for some bikepacking I want to do. Does anyone race the xc races?
 

mcdawg22

Heisman
Sep 18, 2004
13,630
12,085
113
If you take a break in Vicksburg, don’t leave your bike on Washington St. That **** will get stolen, trust me!
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Rivals Football Recruiting Wiltfong Whiparound: Mega prediction for Kentucky; Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi State all made big recruiting moves in week four
  2. 02 Maroon and White Football Sunday Notebook: No. 24 Mississippi State 31-24 No. 19 Mizzou
  3. 03 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State's defense bends without breaking again
  4. 04 Maroon and White Mississippi State PFF Grades from 31-24 win over Mizzou
  5. 05 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State's Week 5 date with No. 8 Alabama set for early window