OT: help needed for clover and wild onion control

ToxicTimberDawg

Sophomore
Dec 14, 2008
322
195
43
Grass is still dormant. Mostly centipede and Bermuda mixed with pasture grass / weeds. Wild onions and clover (light purple blooms) are in full force. Clover is slow cutting in April/May before it dies out so I want to kill it before mower season. Is now a good time to spray them (after the snow/ice events) and what should I use. ? I have a boomless sprayer that goes on the four wheeler. Thanks for any help !
 

ababyatemydingo

All-Conference
Nov 27, 2008
4,099
3,052
113
what you're calling clover is more than likely henbit. you have to control that by spraying a pre-emergent in the fall. before it germinates. you can spray it with 2,4-D now to kill it. the wild onion, wild garlic, star of Bethlehem are tough to control. same family. they grows from bulbs and bulblets. the best way to know you've gotten rid of it is to dig up the bulbs and get rid of them. couple of herbicides i've used with varying success. imazaquin (image) works good, but don't spray it if your lawn is greening up. will damage lawn if sprayed during that phase. i've also used msm turf with good success, and you can spray that now. if you have bermuda and it's still fully dormant, you can use round up. mix a sticker in with whatever you spray. onions, etc have a waxy coating on them.
 

ZombieKissinger

All-American
May 29, 2013
5,583
9,678
113
For the wild onion, I usually pour some beef stock on the yard then sprinkle in toasted bread and mozzarella. This will produce a good French onion soup. In the summer, the sun will cook it thoroughly but this time of year I usually get a heat lamp and cook the yard in sections. Once it’s ready, I unleash the mole crickets, who gorge themselves, eating the soup (and all the onions). The crickets often die of diabetes or strokes within a few weeks (depends on your cheese to bread crumb ratio), but if any are left over, I usually just put some armadillos on leashes and police the yard until they’re all gone.
 

Dawgbite

Heisman
Nov 1, 2011
9,896
11,316
113
I hit my entire yard with Round Up Tuesday. The hen bit has ruined my yard over the past couple of years so I don’t have much to lose at this point.
 

ToxicTimberDawg

Sophomore
Dec 14, 2008
322
195
43
what you're calling clover is more than likely henbit. you have to control that by spraying a pre-emergent in the fall. before it germinates. you can spray it with 2,4-D now to kill it. the wild onion, wild garlic, star of Bethlehem are tough to control. same family. they grows from bulbs and bulblets. the best way to know you've gotten rid of it is to dig up the bulbs and get rid of them. couple of herbicides i've used with varying success. imazaquin (image) works good, but don't spray it if your lawn is greening up. will damage lawn if sprayed during that phase. i've also used msm turf with good success, and you can spray that now. if you have bermuda and it's still fully dormant, you can use round up. mix a sticker in with whatever you spray. onions, etc have a waxy coating on them.

I definitely have lots of clover but I googled and you are exactly right about henbit. I have lots of it too. The onions don't bother me so much because they are easy to cut. Thanks for the info !
 

G-Dawg

Sophomore
Sep 6, 2012
1,190
107
63
View attachment 19453

What is this? It looks like some kind of fungus. It's ALL over the side of my yard and partially now in the backyard. It just so happens that this area stays the wettest. I sprayed Image and 2,4-D a few months ago to kill some broadleaf weeds. What should I do to get rid of it?

It looks like wet tobacco that bubbles up.
 

moturfdog

Redshirt
Aug 22, 2012
166
4
18
 

moturfdog

Redshirt
Aug 22, 2012
166
4
18
Sorry previous post didn’t work
You have a Cyanobacteria called Nostoc. Dry the area with drainage and topdressing with sand to improve moving the moisture out of the area. Fungicides that are labeled for algae and moss will aid in drying theNostoc bloom. During dry periods use cultural practices such as aggressively rake to break up the crust left by the Nostoc bloom
 

xxxWalkTheDawg

Redshirt
Oct 21, 2005
4,262
0
25
View attachment 19453

What is this? It looks like some kind of fungus. It's ALL over the side of my yard and partially now in the backyard. It just so happens that this area stays the wettest. I sprayed Image and 2,4-D a few months ago to kill some broadleaf weeds. What should I do to get rid of it?

It looks like wet tobacco that bubbles up.

Dog ate a box of examination gloves.
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White Football Unpacking Mississippi State's offensive unraveling against Alabama
  2. 02 Maroon and White Football "Learning Moments": Mississippi State HC Jeff Lebby speaks on rough outing for QB Kamario Taylor
  3. 03 Maroon and White Football "We let ourselves down": Isaac Smith and Anthony Evans III speak on Mississippi State's defeat to Alabama
  4. 04 Maroon and White Rapid Recap: No. 7 Alabama 56-23 No. 16 Mississippi State
  5. 05 Maroon and White Football Live Updates: Mississippi State vs. Alabama