OT: Fried Turkey recipe

Felonious Junk

All-Conference
Oct 23, 2008
1,887
1,264
113
I’m doing one on a traditional propane cooker this year. Anyone care to share their best tips on seasoning?
 

Grove Sh*tter

Redshirt
Aug 25, 2014
911
0
0
Soak in Dale's for 72 hours, inject with Dale's, before frying, rest it for at least 30 minutes, loosely covered, and enjoy.
 

patdog

Heisman
May 28, 2007
60,595
31,866
113
I keep it simple. Make a rub of salt, pepper, garlic powder, chili powder. Rub under the skin 24 hours before & then dry the bird & fry. No need for injections if you don’t overcook it. I’ve quit frying & smoke them now but do the same thing.
 

Dawgbite

Heisman
Nov 1, 2011
9,936
11,383
113
Can’t beat Tony’s garlic butter injectable marinade, seasoned Salt on the outside.
 

FreeDawg

All-Conference
Oct 6, 2010
4,105
1,109
98
The injecting actually is seasoning the bird. Get your favorite seasoning. Mix it with water. Draw it up abs inject the bird. Deep fry on 350. Do not brine.
 
Aug 25, 2012
783
628
93
I used to inject with Tony's creole butter but the past few years I started making my own. 2-3 sticks of melted butter with 2-3 tsps of Tony's mixed in and a little bit of cooking wine to thin it out. Add more or less Tony's to your liking or other seasonings you like. Inject in all the usual spots then rub the outside with olive oil and a mixture of Tony's and no-salt Tony's. Several years ago I switched from traditional oil frying to an infrared fryer. I have the Char-Broil Big Easy and that thing is awesome. If you go the traditional oil frying route make sure to use the right kind of oil (peanut), don't overfill the pot, and make absolutely sure that turkey is 100% thawed before you drop it in. Oh, and don't forget to remove the bag of goodies inside and that little plastic pop-up thermometer. I may or may not speak from experience on the last two.
 

RiverCityDawg

All-American
Dec 30, 2009
3,205
5,014
113
If you can get your hands on it before Thanksgiving, Meat Church has a rub called Holy Voodoo that is fantastic on poultry. It's all I use on chicken these days. There's actually recent YouTube video by Meat Church where he fries a turkey with this rub. Looks awesome.
 

oxfordrebel22

Sophomore
Oct 31, 2013
1,928
134
63
If you can get your hands on it before Thanksgiving, Meat Church has a rub called Holy Voodoo that is fantastic on poultry. It's all I use on chicken these days. There's actually recent YouTube video by Meat Church where he fries a turkey with this rub. Looks awesome.

Yes it is. Holy Voodoo is the best poultry seasoning I’ve ever found.
 

Trojanbulldog19

All-American
Aug 25, 2014
10,139
5,923
113
Been using a rub and creole butter for years. Used a garlic and herbs two years ago that was awesome. I usually smoke one and fry one if not two. This year smaller family group but will still probably so two separate ones and smoke one day before. Don’t don’t oil fry any more. Health reasons and prep and cleanup. I do the oil less fryer and spray cooking spray on Turkey every so often. It gives that Crispiness that you want on the skin lie a true fried turkey. Thinking about trying a jalapeño butter mix this year for injections i might be the only one who will eat it though. Might do a chicken with that instead and see what it comes out like. Creole butter is hard to beat though for group cooking because everyone usually likes it
 

af102

Redshirt
May 17, 2009
712
29
28
I’ve done probably 10 birds the same way over the last 5 years, and they are consistently great.

24 hours before cooking, submerge the bird in water/ice, and one pound each of salt and brown sugar. An hour before cooking, remove and dry with paper towels. Season the whole thing inside and out with the Cajun seasoning mix of your choice and let sit out at room temp while the oil heats up.

Skin is crispy and salty, meat is tender and juicy after sitting for 30 mins after the fryer.
 

greenbean.sixpack

All-American
Oct 6, 2012
9,441
8,873
113
Can’t beat Tony’s garlic butter injectable marinade, seasoned Salt on the outside.

This. I just deep fried a whole chicken as a test run. Brine it for 24 hours, remove and rub (i use the rub from Publix), salt and pepper, inject with Tonys and put back in the ridge for 12-24 hours, let it come to room temp, pat try and add more rub/salt/pepper if needed. "Deep Fry" it, preheat oil to 375, as soon as you drop the turkey in, dial back temp to 325 and cook 7 min/lb.
 

oxfordrebel22

Sophomore
Oct 31, 2013
1,928
134
63
Been using a rub and creole butter for years. Used a garlic and herbs two years ago that was awesome. I usually smoke one and fry one if not two. This year smaller family group but will still probably so two separate ones and smoke one day before. Don’t don’t oil fry any more. Health reasons and prep and cleanup. I do the oil less fryer and spray cooking spray on Turkey every so often. It gives that Crispiness that you want on the skin lie a true fried turkey. Thinking about trying a jalapeño butter mix this year for injections i might be the only one who will eat it though. Might do a chicken with that instead and see what it comes out like. Creole butter is hard to beat though for group cooking because everyone usually likes it

Ever done a drunk chicken in oilless fryer? It’s wonderful.
 

ronpolk

All-American
May 6, 2009
9,426
5,357
113
This. I just deep fried a whole chicken as a test run. Brine it for 24 hours, remove and rub (i use the rub from Publix), salt and pepper, inject with Tonys and put back in the ridge for 12-24 hours, let it come to room temp, pat try and add more rub/salt/pepper if needed. "Deep Fry" it, preheat oil to 375, as soon as you drop the turkey in, dial back temp to 325 and cook 7 min/lb.

7 minutes per pound? I’ve always done about 3 to 3.5 minutes per pound.
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Rivals Basketball Recruiting 5-star AJ Williams details his official visits and where things stand with UNC, BYU & Arkansas as the early signing period nears
  2. 02 Maroon and White Mississippi State Bye Week Checklist: What Needs Work?
  3. 03 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State Bye Week Watchlist
  4. 04 Maroon and White Mississippi State Basketball tipoff times finalized
  5. 05 Rivals Basketball Recruiting Mississippi State, Maryland & UCF talking visits with 4-star forward K'Nard Callendar