OT: deer tamales

ronpolk

All-American
May 6, 2009
9,426
5,357
113
Anyone had one of the processors around Jackson make any deer tamales? I know Vans and Dwight’s both do tamales. I’ve taken deer to both and like other meat I’ve gotten back from either of them.
 

JML105

Redshirt
Sep 4, 2012
489
8
18
I've had Tony's make me some before. I took them 20lbs of 80/20 ground meat and it yielded around 40 dz tamales. If I remember correctly they charged me ~$4 per dz. I would rate them a 6 out of 10 and I had tamales in my freezer for a long time.
 

basedawg

Senior
Aug 22, 2012
1,037
813
113
Anyone had one of the processors around Jackson make any deer tamales? I know Vans and Dwight’s both do tamales. I’ve taken deer to both and like other meat I’ve gotten back from either of them.

P&A in Pearl. Van's you say, if you only knew. P/A may have the cleanest warehouse/deer process place I've used.
 

kb549

Sophomore
Oct 6, 2014
835
141
43
Why not make them yourself? It’s not as hard as you would think. We decided to make some (from pulled pork) about a year ago. We now make them about once a month. We normally make enough to eat 2 meals off of them and another meals worth for the freezer.

Buy masa and corn husks. Mix mass with butter, chicken broth, cumin, and chili powder. Soak half a pack of husks per 6-8 pounds of cooked meat. Spread the mass dough out. I use a small spatula and my fingers. Put meat in so that you have enough masa on either side to cover it when rolled. Use the husk to start to roll it over. Make the masa dough meet and seal together. Your husk should overlap. Fold the bottom of the husk up so that it comes to the top. Tie with a strip of husk. We use an instant pot/electric pressure cooker. 20 minutes with some water in the bottom Natural pressure release. Or you can do them in a pot on the stove. I think it’s 45 minutes to an hour that way.
 

o_LandDawg

Redshirt
Sep 1, 2009
339
9
18
Milner’s deer processing south of yazoo city. Best deer tamales hands down. Know plenty people that drive over an hour just to get tamales from them.
 

engie

Sophomore
May 29, 2011
10,763
106
63
P&A in Pearl. Van's you say, if you only knew. P/A may have the cleanest warehouse/deer process place I've used.

they both outsource tamales to the same entity. Or at least they did a season ago when I had some from both places
 

basedawg

Senior
Aug 22, 2012
1,037
813
113
they both outsource tamales to the same entity. Or at least they did a season ago when I had some from both places

Yes, but P&A is a much better deer processor, cleaner by far! Actually I'm not impressed with the tamales, they are ok but nothing special.
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White Football Anthony Evans III posts highest PFN WR grade of Week 5
  2. 02 Maroon and White Football Standout Stats: No. 7 Alabama 56-23 No. 16 Mississippi State
  3. 03 Maroon and White Football Unpacking Mississippi State's offensive unraveling against Alabama
  4. 04 Maroon and White Football "Learning Moments": Mississippi State HC Jeff Lebby speaks on rough outing for QB Kamario Taylor
  5. 05 Maroon and White Football "We let ourselves down": Isaac Smith and Anthony Evans III speak on Mississippi State's defeat to Alabama