OT: Coming 2 America

Dec 3, 2008
4,034
379
83
I preface this thread by saying Coming To America is by far my favorite comedy of all time.

With that being said...

Wow... what a letdown. Don’t watch if you haven’t already. I wasn’t expecting much, but it’s really bad.

I smiled a few times because of some nostalgic cameos, but I don’t think I laughed once. Writing was bad and the storyline was boring.
 
Last edited:

Xenomorph

Heisman
Feb 15, 2007
16,121
10,655
113
Comedies and horror share one thing in common.. they’re infinitely better when watched in a crowded theatre.
 

mcdawg22

Heisman
Sep 18, 2004
13,652
12,156
113
The barber scene was funny, that’s about it. I don’t know why they went PG-13. They didn’t need to worry about Box Office.
 

047Dog

Redshirt
Jan 29, 2020
726
0
0
I too thought it was terrible. I was ready to turn it off halfway thru. The last 10 minutes were ok and made me chuckle just because of the entertainment on the stage. As a whole tho it was garbage.
 

DAWG61

Redshirt
Feb 26, 2008
10,111
0
0
Have any comedy sequels lived up to the original or even come close when there's decades in between them? I didn't even watch Dumb and Dumber 2 it'd been so long. Same rule applies for this one for me.
 

maroonmania

All-Conference
Feb 23, 2008
11,354
1,143
113
I just turned it off 30 minutes in. Such a let down. Terrible.

Not even sure my wife and I got that far with it. We both looked at each other like, this is stupid, and moved on to other things. May eventually go back and finish but not impressed. And we both thought the original was entertaining.
 

cowbell88

All-Conference
Jan 11, 2009
3,369
1,098
113
We watched it, but I spent last hour playing on phone while it was on.
 

drummerdawg

Redshirt
Mar 14, 2013
334
31
28
Have any comedy sequels lived up to the original or even come close when there's decades in between them? I didn't even watch Dumb and Dumber 2 it'd been so long. Same rule applies for this one for me.

Dumb and Dumber 2 is one of the exceptions. It was hilarious
 

mstateglfr

All-American
Feb 24, 2008
16,885
6,691
113
Have any comedy sequels lived up to the original or even come close when there's decades in between them? I didn't even watch Dumb and Dumber 2 it'd been so long. Same rule applies for this one for me.

2nd American Pie was great, at least to my early 20s self.

CHRISTMAS vacation was 17ing hilarious. AP spy who snagged me was just as good as the first. And 22 jump street lkved up to the first in funny.
There are a lot more.. tough past is- comedy to one person is a bore to another person.
 

DAWG61

Redshirt
Feb 26, 2008
10,111
0
0
Agree those are all good but they didn't wait two decades before making the next ones. Just very rare a comedy sequel is close to as good as the first when they wait so long.
 

Drebin

Heisman
Aug 22, 2012
22,508
27,472
113
My expectations were already lowered going into it. There were times it really dragged. Leslie Jones was funny and the guy who plays Akeem's son is pretty talented. Beyond that, it's pretty forgettable.
 
Last edited:

fedxdog

Sophomore
Dec 7, 2008
549
113
38
The writer, David Sheffield is a Mississippian and married a high school classmate of mine and lives on a farm near Laurel...too bad, but it is rotten tomatoes.
He wrote most of Eddie Murphy's hits and started on SNL.
 
Aug 22, 2012
1,173
451
83
My expectations were already lowered going into it. There were times it really dragged. Leslie Jones was funny and the guy who plays Akeem's son is pretty talented. Beyond that, it's pretty forgettable.

Barbershop was the good parts to me. Other than that it was like a Sandler movie on Netflix
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State Keys to Victory against Alabama
  2. 02 Maroon and White No. 16 Mississippi State vs. No. 7 Alabama: How, where and when to watch the Bulldogs
  3. 03 Maroon and White Mississippi State Soccer preps for No. 11 South Carolina
  4. 04 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State's Zakari Tillman Out vs. Alabama
  5. 05 Maroon and White Football Will Mississippi State's secondary be the difference on Saturday?