I’m getting a cow butchered later this month but I have never done it before and I don’t know exactly what to tell the butcher. I know I want the brisket cut four ways but I don’t know about the rest. I could use some tips if anyone can help.
You want the better cuts, steaks, ribs, roasts. You need to decide the thickness you want them cut. If they were mine, I would want 1.5 to 2 inches on all the steaks. I would want 2-3 inches on the porterhouses. I would want the briskets cut whole, but separating them is fine too. You need to discuss with the butcher what you want put into ground beef. Listen to him. 25% fat and 75% beef is the maximum fat content I would want. 80/20 might be better. You want rump roasts, round roasts, chuck roasts. He will have a chart that he uses as his guide to butcher the animal. Sit with him and pick our specifically what you want. That's my opinion.
I’m getting a cow butchered later this month but I have never done it before and I don’t know exactly what to tell the butcher. I know I want the brisket cut four ways but I don’t know about the rest. I could use some tips if anyone can help.
We've been getting our beef by the half cow for the last 10 years or so. In the beginning, I got lots of steaks cuts. But the reality is we use a lot more ground than anything. So now I get ribeye and loin and have everything else ground.
You may have completely different cooking habits than me but the point is think about how many total pounds you'll be getting and how you typically use beef. Then pick and choose accordingly.
What's the yeild on that like?
If I ever get a half cow butchered that’s what I’m doing. That’s how I get a deer cut up as well. I get backstraps and the loins then everything else is ground up.
I’m thinking 85/15 on the ground meat. 2” sounds good on steaks but I don’t want sirloins at all, would rather have them ground. Thanks for the info.
Maroon and White
Mississippi State’s Isaac Smith and Fluff Bothwell “Probable” on initial SEC availability report
Maroon and White Football
Mississippi State Week 5 Preview: Who Controls the Skies?
Maroon and White Football
"Complementary team football is what they're doing really well": Alabama HC Kalen DeBoer on Mississippi State matchup
Maroon and White Football
SEC Nation returns to Starkville, beginning with Friday Finebaum show
Rivals Basketball Recruiting
OTE Pro Day Recruiting Intel: Latest buzz on Beckham Black, Paul Osaruyi and more