OT: Billy vs Elton

RUInsanityToo

All-American
May 5, 2006
9,584
9,933
113
Captain Jack
Scenes from an Italian Restaurant
New York State of Mind
The Entertainer
Root Beer Rag

vs.

Dont let the Sun go down on me
Crocodile Rock
Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Tiny Dancer
Levon
Funeral for a Friend
 

ClassOf02v.2

Heisman
Sep 30, 2010
13,969
15,598
103

Goodnight Saigon is a great song. Always enjoyed Garth Brooks’ rendition at Billy Joel’s Kennedy Center induction ceremony.
 

SHUSource

All-Conference
Jun 3, 2001
42,129
4,479
48
Different Strokes....

Think we didn't start the fire was a good 3 minute recent history / current events post- and different from virtually all other Joel tunes.

It's All About Soul has nice background harmonies...

IMO I'd pay to see Billy Joel and forgo freebies for Elton if on the same night.

MO
Fair enough. I don’t think I’d cross the street to see either one, to be honest.
 

Knightmoves

Heisman
Jul 31, 2001
30,827
16,893
113
Allentown, NJ :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: State of Mind, an All for Leyna + many more: Just The Way They Are!







MO

Oh yeah and on the Elton vs Billy controversy go to @36 seconds on this clip: good cut!~



When I hear Allentown by Billy Joel on the radio it reminds me of the movie Deer Hunter, one of my top 5 movie favorites.

Not a big fan of either Billy or Elton, although they have about 5 great songs each that will always live on.
 

rutger80

All-Conference
Oct 14, 2013
2,477
1,762
0
My preference is for Elton by far. Billy sounds like a whiny little brat-starting with Captain Jack.
We didn't start the Fire is clearly a take-off on It's the End of the World (as we know it) by REM.
That being said...Elton may rank around 25-30 on my list of groups/musicians.
 

RU_PAYBACK

All-Conference
Jan 29, 2008
7,144
3,995
63
Not a huge fan of either. I only saw Billy perform live on the Letterman show. It's Billy for me.
 

sherrane

All-Conference
Aug 17, 2003
10,560
1,309
0
Every time an Elton John song comes on the radio, I change the station.

I do as well unless I react too slow and my wife gets mad and changes it back. Thankfully she doesn't like Billy Joel, so I can take my time changing the channel.
 

Rutgers36

All-Conference
Dec 24, 2006
952
1,308
93
Billy. Wrote, sang and performed his own stuff. Bernie Taupin wrote most of Elton’s songs.
 

YoucancallmeRay

All-Conference
Nov 3, 2015
1,790
1,905
113
Billy Joel's songs are musically and lyrically much more varied, interesting, and involving, so he gets my vote. I can take or leave Elton.
 
The Knight Report

Latest

  1. 01 The Knight Report Rutgers Basketball Practice Notebook: Pre-preseason takeaways
  2. 02 The Knight Report Join The Knight Report TODAY and get it for 60% off!
  3. 03 The Knight Report How former Rutgers Football players performed in the NFL's Week Four
  4. 04 The Knight Report Football ESPN FPI projects Rutgers Football's 2026 schedule - Week Six
  5. 05 The Knight Report Rutgers Football versus Maryland Game Time Announced