OT: Big Boy Air Rifles

Bulldog Bruce

All-American
Nov 1, 2007
5,250
6,475
113
I am looking to get an air rifle to shoot mostly at targets. I am leaning to .177. I want to keep it under $300. I am just in the City limits of Olive Branch and even though I have 2.7 acres I can't discharge a firearm. I can shoot an air rifle / pistol. I want a rifle now and maybe will look at a pistol in the future to be able to keep practicing.

So please any that you find outstanding or absolutely horrible to stay away from.
 

mcdawg22

Heisman
Sep 18, 2004
13,647
12,142
113
I have a Benjamin .22 break barrel. It is a beast but fun, accurate, and pretty powerful. It’s a single shot though so that may not be up your alley.
 

The Peeper

Heisman
Feb 26, 2008
16,698
12,426
113
Had a Crosman .22 cal CO2 powered that for a small rifle was awesome. It had a multi shot magazine that advanced w/ a pump. The only problem I had w/ it and I guess its inherent w/ CO2 is once the cylinder was about out of gas, the pellet would sometimes end up jammed in the barrel if there wasn't enough gas left to push it out.
 
Sep 21, 2017
974
759
93
Is there a specific reason why you would want an air riffle vs practicing with a firearm? I'm not judging just an honest question and I can understand if ammo availability is an issue. The reason why I ask is if not having anywhere to practice is the reason check out McIvor shooting facility down in Sardis. It's run by the MDWFP and an extremely nice shooting facility. To shoot pistol or rifle it's only $15 a person. Anyone in the north MS area should check that place out. They have sporting clays, skeet, Trap, 5 stand, 50, 100, 300 yd riffle and and pistol range.
 

Xenomorph

Heisman
Feb 15, 2007
16,116
10,648
113
My pops has a Whisper Silent Cat by Gamo.. It's absolutely lethal against squirrels at 30 yards. He keeps the bird feeders cleaned off.
 

Dawgg

Heisman
Sep 9, 2012
10,535
10,793
113
Is there a specific reason why you would want an air riffle vs practicing with a firearm?

Sometimes a man just wants to go into his backyard and shoot something and sometimes that backyard is within the city limits where shooting firearms in your backyard is frowned upon.
 
Sep 21, 2017
974
759
93
Sometimes a man just wants to go into his backyard and shoot something and sometimes that backyard is within the city limits where shooting firearms in your backyard is frowned upon.


Bite the bullet and join the $200 stamp club then.
 

Bulldog Bruce

All-American
Nov 1, 2007
5,250
6,475
113
Fair question.
1) Ammo is tough to come by right now and I don't want to dig too far into my reserves since I am not seeing any sign that availability and cost are returning towards pre-allthisshit.

2) I can go to many places way closer than Sardis if I want to shoot. I have land and family in Marshall and Benton county where I can shoot. A family friend shoots long range competitions and I can go to his place for up to 600 yards. But that is not outside my back door. Before we were in the city I could shoot in my yard.
 

LawDawg97

Redshirt
Sep 7, 2012
1,138
0
0
I think he wants to honestly shoot

Bite the bullet and join the $200 stamp club then.

a .177 in his backyard. Cheap, fun, good for target shooting or killing rodents. Why is that hard to understand? Honest question.

To the original question, I agree with Xenomorph the Gamo line of .177 are great and fit your request for under $300. The Gamo Shadow Whisper is good for the money.
 
Sep 21, 2017
974
759
93
No worries and completely understand, I grew up with a 500 yd range off my back porch. I try to promote McIvor as much as I can. It's a nice facility and not a lot of people know about it.
 

Bulldog Bruce

All-American
Nov 1, 2007
5,250
6,475
113
Thanks. going to stay away from from CO2. When you get into the PCP guns, the cost can get way up there and you have to go to specialist shops to get them refilled. With my research it looks like a break barrel is the most reasonable option in my price point.
 

Uncle Ruckus

All-American
Apr 1, 2011
15,309
6,700
113
Not what you asked, but I met a disabled vet one day when I worked in the firearm industry. He knew someone who bought some large caliber air rifle to deer hunt with and shot does with it. I guess he shot them in the head, but I always thought that was insane.
 

Bulldog Bruce

All-American
Nov 1, 2007
5,250
6,475
113
Some of those pcp air guns shoot .30 to .50 caliber pellets at 1100 fps. So it is very doable.
 

karlchilders.sixpack

All-Conference
Jun 5, 2008
21,091
4,864
113
I've got a Springer

because I like to shoot, and it's good practice.

Bought an inexpensive Beeman, which gives me a choice of calibers .17 or .22

I use the .22

Slightly upgraded the scope, immediately.

Springers are tough on scopes.

Fun shooting at 100yds, and watching the pellet, thru the scope.
(the situation has to be right)
 

MaxwellSmart

All-Conference
May 28, 2007
2,612
1,044
113
because I like to shoot, and it's good practice.

Bought an inexpensive Beeman, which gives me a choice of calibers .17 or .22

I use the .22

Slightly upgraded the scope, immediately.

Springers are tough on scopes.

Fun shooting at 100yds, and watching the pellet, thru the scope.
(the situation has to be right)

So did you go Schmidt & Bender or Tangent Theta?
 

JesterB

Freshman
Mar 3, 2008
452
89
28
I have a Gamo Whisper Jet. There’s no whisper to it. It shoots so fast that the pellet makes a loud crack down range. Almost as loud as a .22LR. But it will roll a tree rat at 30 yards.
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White Mississippi State Soccer preps for No. 11 South Carolina
  2. 02 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State's Zakari Tillman Out vs. Alabama
  3. 03 Maroon and White Football Will Mississippi State's secondary be the difference on Saturday?
  4. 04 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State sells out Davis Wade Stadium for 2nd week running
  5. 05 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State Week 5 Preview: Who Carries the Load?