OT: Ben Franklin Alert for Tom McA

91Joe95

All-Conference
Aug 15, 2003
2,843
4,081
113
As I watched Monday, it was evident they were hammering home the point that Franklin was in their view, a racist. They spent a good amount of time highlighting that view.

No need to guess, Burns led and emphasized it with his tweet.
 

Nohow

Senior
Sep 24, 2016
1,188
951
113
As I watched Monday, it was evident they were hammering home the point that Franklin was in their view, a racist. They spent a good amount of time highlighting that view.
So? In those days just about every American citizen was a racist by today’s standards. To his credit he changed late in life.
 

Georgia Peach

Senior
Oct 28, 2021
366
662
93
Burns put in the work and at the end of it all he is entitled to his opinion. Whether it's true or designed to drive viewers or a little of both is something we can all decide for ourselves. Bickering about it is a waste of time.

Presenting history will always involve subjectivity. It can be no other way.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 91Joe95

manatree

All-American
Oct 6, 2021
3,534
6,358
113
Presenting history will always involve subjectivity. It can be no other way.
Exactly, especially in documentaries where you can get away with a lot of editing to emphasize your point while downplaying or outright ignoring counterpoints. Michael Moore say hello. You can get away with a lot more with a documentary than you can a book, provided the book publisher has integrity. I have seen so many times where the historians will make great leaps to conclusions on the screen. I can only hope that there wasn’t enough time to include the supporting evidence on film.

That being said, I have it on DVR, and will watch it later this week even though I’m not a fan of the Burns cinematic style.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 91Joe95

Grant Green

All-American
Jan 21, 2004
4,054
5,549
113
Mark me down for a thumbs up. I thought Burns did a nice job of presenting Franklin, warts and all. I enjoyed the way that he constantly worked on improving himself as a human being.

The doc reinforced my opinion that Franklin was a truly brilliant (probably genius level IQ) and fascinating man and we may still be England without him.

Oh yeah, and now I want to work an Armonica solo into my next music recording.
 

psuro

Heisman
Aug 24, 2001
9,813
21,592
113
Mark me down for a thumbs up. I thought Burns did a nice job of presenting Franklin, warts and all. I enjoyed the way that he constantly worked on improving himself as a human being.

The doc reinforced my opinion that Franklin was a truly brilliant (probably genius level IQ) and fascinating man and we may still be England without him.

Oh yeah, and now I want to work an Armonica solo into my next music recording.
Yeah really. Then we would all be stuck speaking English.
 

BobPSU92

Heisman
Aug 22, 2001
45,709
37,914
113

TheBigUglies

All-Conference
Oct 26, 2021
1,493
2,420
113
Yeah really. Then we would all be stuck speaking English.
I enjoyed what I was able to watch even though the historians were giving their thoughts and conclusions they created about the guy. This stuff went down over 200 years ago so not going to get upset with how today's generation interprets the past. I am thankful for Franklin and our founding fathers. I can't even imaging their mindsets to start a revolution and their own country.

The one thing I am just realizing(or thought about) is that I will not be around for the Tri-Centenial. Being a wee lad of 9 in 1976 I have great memories from all the Bicentenial celebrations where I grew up. There was a Wagon train that crossed the nation and camped in Valley Forge park that summer and the celebration was awesome and parades and stuff around the Philly area made some great memories. I thought I heard something about a 250 year celebration in 2026?
 
  • Like
Reactions: bbrown and 91Joe95

91Joe95

All-Conference
Aug 15, 2003
2,843
4,081
113

They were all loyal British subjects, until they staged an insurrection. There was no country in America before them in either North or South America.
 

manatree

All-American
Oct 6, 2021
3,534
6,358
113
I finished watching both episodes this morning, and there's no real surprises for anyone that has read anything about Franklin. I don't understand the knicker twisting over historians offering their opinions, interpretations, perspectives, etc. A historian's job is to study history, not just read about it. You can't truly study a subject without critiquing it. You think that Herodotus didn't include his point of view and interpretations in his writings? This show seemed to provide enough different viewpoints to give a well rounded view of the man. A flawed man, by his own admission who like most any human evolved over time. If anything, the volume of Franklin's own writings provide ample evidence of both the good and bad.

Again, the reason I prefer books over documentaries are for the citations and footnotes. The bad thing is that they always lead to an unsurmountable 'to read' list.
 

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
86,404
69,437
113
Again, the reason I prefer books over documentaries are for the citations and footnotes. The bad thing is that they always lead to an unsurmountable 'to read' list.

lol, that's why my book list keeps growing. In most history books I read, I also read every word of the Notes and Index sections. And if any of them offer a POV that I've not read before, then that book (if it's a book; I don't hunt down dissertations, or papers in journals that are not online) is added to my book list. Even if the POV is not new to me, if a book is cited multiple times, and sounds interesting, then it also goes onto my book list.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 91Joe95
BWI

Latest

  1. 01 BWI Football Penn State Sunday situation: The Lions don't lack an identity; it's the same as their record: Mediocre, and teetering on worse
  2. 02 BWI Football Penn State report card: Grading the Lions after their 31-23 loss to USC
  3. 03 BWI Football Everything Matt Campbell said after Penn State's third-straight loss
  4. 04 BWI Football Penn State's latest loss underscores gap between progress and results
  5. 05 BWI Football What did USC coach Lincoln Riley, Penn State players, say about the Lions' loss to USC? 'One of my favorite wins as a head coach'