On the average, long-term, this is going to work out for MSU. Players generally do not transfer if they are playing, save for a few like the quarterback King from Houston that went to Miami, but that was from G5 to P5. Most of the time it is going to be guys at blue bloods who are looking to play.
Of course, when a guy makes a move up like King (mentioned above) it gets the headlines, but it is the exception rather than the rule. The vast majority of transfers are going the other way. This also means that blue bloods will never have a hole in their lineup, which is a wash at the end of the day. It is not like the big time blue blood transfers like Daniels and Fields are not already getting approved.
I do not care if the highly paid coaches have to work harder at recruiting.
If you're talking about football, I don't think that's quite right for a few issues.
One, it makes it less risky for players to give it a shot at blue bloods. So yes, we'll get some shots at people transferring away from blue bloods, but we might lose some on the front end and only get them for two years instead of four.
Two, the best transfers will probably be looking for the best team possible with a hole at their position, which usually will not be us. So I think you'll see a lot of blue blood to blue blood transfers like Fields going from UGA to OSU more than you'll see UGA to MSU. We'll probably get our fair share of G5 players moving up, but most of those players won't be game changes, although they might help us plug some holes.
I don't think this is going to hammer us by any means, but I don't think we'll get a big benefit, at least compared to other SEC schools. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised and the blue bloods will have a lot of RS Sophomores and Jrs. that are important for depth reasons leave to try to be a starter at a different school.
I also think as long as we have leach, we'll be a little better positioned than average, because at least on offense, there will probably be a concern about how our offensive players will do if they leave our system.