Official '26 PSU - USC game thread

RochLion

Senior
Jun 3, 2001
631
953
93
You missed the early 2000’s apparently.
Yep. Starting with Toledo game of 2000, that was where it seemed PSU had the biggest drop in talent without any significant changes to coaching staff. This year the drop in talent is pretty bad, but I'd expect that with the coaching changes made over the past year.
 
Oct 13, 2021
423
581
93
I don't know if this has bee discussed, but did you notice how Riley completely picked the pocket of Campbell's last time-out? Not that it mattered in the end. Did MC really think USC would go for it on 4th and 10 deep in their own territory? Did you see the smiling, smirking face of Riley as MC called time-out?
 
  • Like
Reactions: Marshall2323

Marshall2323

All-American
Aug 7, 2024
5,315
5,491
113
I don't know if this has bee discussed, but did you notice how Riley completely picked the pocket of Campbell's last time-out? Not that it mattered in the end. Did MC really think USC would go for it on 4th and 10 deep in their own territory? Did you see the smiling, smirking face of Riley as MC called time-out?
Anyone who knows anything about football knew what happened and how embarrassing it was for Campbell. But hey, at least the in game coaching has been improved. :cool:
 

Marshall2323

All-American
Aug 7, 2024
5,315
5,491
113
The slide into mediocracy isn't long and slow
In all honesty, while I knew this was coming, in my wildest dreams I didn't think they could screw up this schedule. Now I'm reading that it's lack of talent. Didn't we get admonished that the need for blue chips was negligible, because this staff was superior and would coach em up?
 
  • Like
Reactions: Nitt1300

psuro

Heisman
Aug 24, 2001
9,815
21,595
113
Disappearing Going Down GIF
 
  • Like
Reactions: Marshall2323

Nitt1300

Heisman
Nov 2, 2008
7,888
14,767
113
In all honesty, while I knew this was coming, in my wildest dreams I didn't think they could screw up this schedule. Now I'm reading that it's lack of talent. Didn't we get admonished that the need for blue chips was negligible, because this staff was superior and would coach em up?
That was the party line, yes.
 

royboy

Junior
Nov 9, 2001
188
338
63
Congrats on winning the ACC with that stellar 9-5 record. Duke football history: 561-566-32. Never been anything. Never will be anything.
Since you included their all-time record of over 1100 games, I'll take issue with your "never" assertions.

Duke football has won over 18 conference championships, including 8 ACC Championships

They have played in 2 Rose Bowls and HOSTED ONE (what other program could claim that?)

It's more of a basketball school, but there is some notable football history.
 

OUIrPSU

All-Conference
Oct 6, 2021
1,384
1,734
113
Since you included their all-time record of over 1100 games, I'll take issue with your "never" assertions.

Duke football has won over 18 conference championships, including 8 ACC Championships

They have played in 2 Rose Bowls and HOSTED ONE (what other program could claim that?)

It's more of a basketball school, but there is some notable football history.
Football games at Duke are so different than at PSU, obviously, but they were always fun, even when they sucked.
 

fairgambit

All-American
Aug 20, 2010
2,470
7,597
113
Since you included their all-time record of over 1100 games, I'll take issue with your "never" assertions.

Duke football has won over 18 conference championships, including 8 ACC Championships

They have played in 2 Rose Bowls and HOSTED ONE (what other program could claim that?)

It's more of a basketball school, but there is some notable football history.
And then there is that academic thingy. Sure, it's not as good as being in the Top 10 in football, but US News Ranked Duke 8th best among National Universities in their latest report. Sort of a consolation prize.
 
  • Like
Reactions: royboy

OUIrPSU

All-Conference
Oct 6, 2021
1,384
1,734
113
I don't believe there is an "and"
That's a very bad loss for Duke or anyone
Are you on the wrong username?
No about the username. Just defending my other school.

But you’re not wrong about the bad loss. They have at least one a year, usually more.
 

KingLando

All-Conference
Nov 29, 2021
8,077
4,361
113
No about the username. Just defending my other school.

But you’re not wrong about the bad loss. They have at least one a year, usually more.
Fair enough--that's simply a game Manny can't lose if he wants an elite job someday
I have nothing against Duke--I actually like Duke--but it's just a bad loss--no excuses
 

Alphalion75

All-Conference
Oct 24, 2001
15,224
4,322
113
It seems to me that our administration is more interested in creating a white out environment than winning football games.
 

Big_O

All-Conference
Jun 28, 2001
1,727
2,831
113
It seems to me that our administration is more interested in creating a white out environment than winning football games.
I was thinking the same thing. They are a bunch of used car salesmen. Fluff over substance.
 

barry j fenchak

Sophomore
May 11, 2016
313
178
43
It seems to me that our administration is more interested in creating a white out environment than winning football games.
Bull. PS fans was gushing about it being the hottest thing since sliced bread. The whole country wanted a ticket. Legends in your own minds. For a copied concept.

Not so great when the actual game is an ***-kicking seminar presented to a national audience.
 
BWI

Latest

  1. 01 BWI Penn State vs. USC Film Review: Lions trying to fix holes, can't exploit weaknesses
  2. 02 BWI Football Latest loss exposes Penn State's difficult reality: Improvement isn't enough
  3. 03 BWI Football How did Penn State's players perform vs. USC? PFF Snap Counts & Grades
  4. 04 BWI Penn State’s Loss to USC: What We Know From the Live Analysis
  5. 05 BWI Football 8 things I think after Penn State falls to USC 31-23: On Matt Campbell's game day struggles, a disappointment, and more