Ode to the Funchester

anon1777473514

Heisman
Jul 30, 2024
6,464
12,943
113
There was a YouTube channel a few years ago that changed my life. It was Funchester TV — a museum of full-length Wildcats games across eras. It was a channel that was apparently created by one of the posters on this website and it eventually got taken down. My understanding is he no longer felt like it was worth going through the trouble of uploading because it would get taken down again. I have a smaller digital library and was thinking about possibly adding them to YT eventually, but I’m largely missing the 2004 and 1994 season. I have virtually every full game from the 1993 season until now other than those two seasons.

1.) Is there interest in me continuing the work that FCTV provided as a historical museum?

2.) Would anyone be able to help me add the 1994 and 2004 seasons to the collection somehow?
 

*Fox2Monk*

Heisman
Jun 10, 2009
47,846
87,746
113
There was a YouTube channel a few years ago that changed my life. It was Funchester TV — a museum of full-length Wildcats games across eras. It was a channel that was apparently created by one of the posters on this website and it eventually got taken down. My understanding is he no longer felt like it was worth going through the trouble of uploading because it would get taken down again. I have a smaller digital library and was thinking about possibly adding them to YT eventually, but I’m largely missing the 2004 and 1994 season. I have virtually every full game from the 1993 season until now other than those two seasons.

1.) Is there interest in me continuing the work that FCTV provided as a historical museum?

2.) Would anyone be able to help me add the 1994 and 2004 seasons to the collection somehow?
That’s a pretty dope collection. I’d love to see all those games again.
 

BlueSince92

All-Conference
Jul 2, 2025
11,047
3,930
230
Way interest.

The actual Funchester source was available on its own website before YouTube and as I understand it was shut down more than once that it recovered from. It was also rumored to be dead around here while it was actually up and running. Last time I found it up and running somewhere was within the past calendar year I’m pretty sure. So while I wouldn’t swear it’s available right now, I’d say it’s worth some deep investigation before declaring it really gone.

All the same I’d be way interested in another source being available either way. It absolutely burns me up that the university is willing to use their intellectual property rights to send out cease and desist letters but not to sell those old games to those of us who would joyfully pay fair market value for them. Fricking abandonware.
 
Last edited:

*Fox2Monk*

Heisman
Jun 10, 2009
47,846
87,746
113
Way interest.

The actual Funchester source was available on its own website before YouTube and as I understand it was shut down more than once that it recovered from. It was also rumored to be dead around here while it was actually up and running. Last time I found it up and running somewhere was within the past calendar year I’m pretty sure. So while I wouldn’t swear it’s available right now, I’d say it’s worth some deep investigation before declaring it really gone.

All the same I’d be way we interested in another source being available either way. It absolutely burns me up that the university is willing to use their intellectual property rights to send out cease and desist letters but not to sell those old games to those of us who would joyfully pay fair market value for them. Fricking abandonware.
Exactly, If they sold each season in blu-ray or even DVD people would eat them up. Make them like seasons of a show.
 

anon1777473514

Heisman
Jul 30, 2024
6,464
12,943
113
Way interest.

The actual Funchester source was available on its own website before YouTube and as I understand it was shut down more than once that it recovered from. It was also rumored to be dead around here while it was actually up and running. Last time I found it up and running somewhere was within the past calendar year I’m pretty sure. So while I wouldn’t swear it’s available right now, I’d say it’s worth some deep investigation before declaring it really gone.

All the same I’d be way we interested in another source being available either way. It absolutely burns me up that the university is willing to use their intellectual property rights to send out cease and desist letters but not to sell those old games to those of us who would joyfully pay fair market value for them. Fricking abandonware.
It really is pathetic. How is watching a 1986 basketball game going to affect their money making ventures in 2025? It’s so greedy and yet simultaneously stupid.
 

Lum Eddards

Sophomore
Jul 5, 2025
65
116
33
There are quite a few full length UK games floating around on Youtube. They keep popping up when watching current and past games. You can add them to the watch later playlist. Considering the sheer amount of them I've seen pop up I'd imagine most of the games he had are there as well.
 

nssdigitalchumps

All-Conference
Jul 29, 2008
7,262
4,964
113
Sadly, contracts are built to prevent rebroadcasting, online or otherwise. I think it has more to do with the SEC more than anything.

A few years back, UKAthletics allowed me to record 360 videos for kids at UK Hospital who were recovering from cancer. They got me access, allowed me anywhere on the court before the game, and it was wonderful. The moment I uploaded the video to YT it was taken down. UKathletics was as baffled as I was. It was all on the SEC side.

Eventually, I found a solution that didnt involve YT, but it showed me that contracts are set in stone, no matter the intention. At least the kids enjoyed it. I made more with UKAthletic's help.
 

JPScott

All-American
Sep 16, 2001
7,689
7,427
62
I mentioned this before but for anyone who runs across or who has access to old videos of UK games I’m trying to figure out who the play-by-play announcers, color commentators and sideline reporters were.

I’ve been able to make some good progress of late but still missing a few hundred at least. I am keeping a list of games missing announcers at the following link for anyone who might be able to help out.

Games Missing Announcers

The list of known announcers is below:

List of TV Announcers doing UK Games

I recently upgraded these pages to include individual pages for each TV Network.
 
KSR

Latest

  1. 01 Rivals Football Recruiting 5-star DL Kellan Hall will return to Kentucky this weekend, prized DB Grayden Reid too
  2. 02 KSR Football SEC Availability Report: DJ Miller good to go against No. 10 LSU
  3. 03 KSR Basketball KSR's top takeaways from Mark Pope's Q&A with Lexington Rotary Club
  4. 04 KSR Football Kentucky has been live underdog against top-10 teams
  5. 05 KSR Volleyball Gut Check: No. 4 Kentucky volleyball saddles up after Florida stumble