North Carolina Scandal Etc

JohnBlue

Heisman
Jul 22, 2003
188,376
14,335
0
This came from a UNC fan. He said he believes to NCAA knows UNC will be no threat to win a title for 3-4 years after this year ends so they are holding off on a decision to see what happens in this tournament and if UNC would win it it the NCAA could use the logic that this one is clean and so what sense would it make to take away 09,05, or 93 banners since they just won this one. He openly admits UNC and Duke are off limits to NCAA.

Sorry but whoever you talked to is an idiot. The reason the ncaa hasn't ruled on the case is because of paperwork. Follow you're post, I'm going to merge it with the thread on this subject that should have all the answers.
 

childe

All-Conference
Feb 1, 2006
1,406
1,277
0
Miami (football), Syracuse (basketball), UNC (multiple sports), UofL (basketball), to name a few. The ACC is getting by with stuff nowadays that would make the old Southwest Conference blush.
 
Nov 15, 2008
38,645
57,515
0
I was impressed. The first fan I have met of either that openly admitted it. The UNC thing though is mind boggling. The NCAA built Dean up to be a knight in shining armor and they will do anything to protect his legacy.

In reality he was a big-nosed lying cheating POS who not only underachieved given his talent, but was cheating the whole time.
 
  • Like
Reactions: UK till Death

Revenge-----101

Redshirt
Apr 9, 2004
9
7
0
While I get your point John, self imposed is not exactly the NCAA doing anything about it. it is however, too early for a NCAA ruling
 

JohnBlue

Heisman
Jul 22, 2003
188,376
14,335
0
I think what he is saying is the ncaa hasn't done anything. ul self imposed the ban in hopes of preventing worse.

I understand. The point is they are not going to get away with it like he suggest. Louisville went from complete denial that it ever happened to self imposing ban after their talks with the ncaa. While it is not officially a move by the ncaa it could still have been done because of them. My point is they are being punished right now, no need wonder if it will happen at this point/
 
  • Like
Reactions: awf
Sep 27, 2015
17,268
29,907
98
I understand. The point is they are not going to get away with it like he suggest. Louisville went from complete denial that it ever happened to self imposing ban after their talks with the ncaa. While it is not officially a move by the ncaa it could still have been done because of them. My point is they are being punished right now, no need wonder if it will happen at this point/

I'm glad other people let you know how dumb your point was before I had to

This is a thread about the NCAA.... Not the desperate attempts by UL to avoid punishment. The NCAA has done nothing incremental to UL and hasn't touched UNC. My point still stands and I'm still not sure what yours even is aside from making snide little girl remarks to people. Haha
 

preacherfan

All-Conference
Oct 11, 2003
29,150
4,872
113
I'm glad other people let you know how dumb your point was before I had to

This is a thread about the NCAA.... Not the desperate attempts by UL to avoid punishment. The NCAA has done nothing incremental to UL and hasn't touched UNC. My point still stands and I'm still not sure what yours even is aside from making snide little girl remarks to people. Haha

UNC is currently charged with LOIC. We need to let that play out over the next few months. BTW, look it up. That is a serious charge.

As for UL, this is in the 2nd inning. It also needs to play out.
 
Last edited:

144catfan

All-Conference
Jan 24, 2014
1,251
1,156
0
Going to be disgusting if UNC wins it this year. The NCAA definitely won't touch the situation then.
 

Elliott Tim

All-American
Dec 10, 2005
10,122
6,290
0
I understand. The point is they are not going to get away with it like he suggest. Louisville went from complete denial that it ever happened to self imposing ban after their talks with the ncaa. While it is not officially a move by the ncaa it could still have been done because of them. My point is they are being punished right now, no need wonder if it will happen at this point/
Stand tall knowing you tried your best. Hard to penetrate flint.
 

JPScott

All-American
Sep 16, 2001
7,689
7,427
62
It seems a little delusional on his part that he's going to pre-sell enough tickets to finish his film, and then once it's released it's going to magically take off, fueled by entry into various film festivals etc. Maybe I'm off-base but I kind of doubt the "$500,000 film" that he's making on less than $200,000 and editing in his living room is going to generate a lot of buzz at a film festival. He'd be better off (and better off for any misguided donors who actually sent him money) just cutting his losses and releasing it on YouTube.

Sorry to quote myself, but I dredged this quote up because I was reminded of it when I ran across the following on a Carolina board, which apparently is a letter that Bethel has sent to the Tar Heel fans he duped into sending him money the first time:

Dear Supporters,

This update may get more personal than any of my previous updates.

Many of you contributed to Unverified because you wanted a counter-narrative to the sensationalized narrative of athletics corruption propagated in the media. Though not in the way many expected, the film no doubt accomplished that. As we travel with the film to festivals, we are showing people the story behind the headlines and effectively challenging people's beliefs about the paper-class scandal. I'm especially eager to show the film at the University of North Georgia next week. I wouldn't be surprised if the NCAA issues their NOA next week, too, and I am hopeful the NCAA will come to fair conclusions.

Nonetheless, for the film's message to reach the audience we all want it to reach, we have to make it available to rent and buy online, and we have to screen it in more theaters. We plan to do that, but we have an obstacle in the way.

When we began production, we budgeted enough money to pay me the same monthly salary I made at UNC. However, we were only planning on a six-month production. Therefore, since August, I haven't been paid anything from the film. Not a single penny. All the remaining funds have been used for equipment and to pay cinematographers, editors, sound mixers, color engineers, lawyers, theater rentals, etc. Since August, I have been depleting my saving to continue working on the film. Making the situation even more challenging is that my first child was born a few months ago.

The obstacle we now face is that we are $6,500 short of what we need to cover the legal and insurance fees necessary to make the film available to the public. We have a distributor to screen the film in theaters, and we have a platform to make the film available online, but they won't accept the film unless we pay these legal and insurance fees. As I mentioned, I have already depleted everything I have and am now in debt.

$6,500. That doesn't seem like much, but in my situation, after how much I've already put into this, it is insurmountable for me alone. And so I need your help one more time.

If we can raise this $6,500, we can start making the film available for pre-order late next month, and we can then release it soon thereafter. And I will then continue to use the film to challenge the news media's sensationalized narrative, accomplishing what many of you hoped the film would accomplish.

The fastest way to help is to make a contribution through PayPal. Simply set up an account or log in with the one you already have, then choose "I'm paying for goods or services," and enter "[email protected]" into the box.

If you would prefer to write a check, you can make it out to Verified Films, LLC and mail it to Verified Films, LLC / PO Box 1221 / Carrboro, NC 27510. (Yes, the film itself is calledUnverified, but the LLC I started is called Verified Films.)

Thanks for all your support. I'm confident we'll get the funds we need, and I will share with you when we do and how we continue from there. Again, I'm also hopeful the NCAA investigation will conclude fairly, and I look forward to participating in discussions about that soon.

Sincerely,
Bradley Bethel
Writer & Director

So Bethel is begging for an additional $6,500 so that he can breath a little more life into his already dead film, meanwhile he's in debt, got a newborn baby and apparently has no real career at this point? Unbelievable. I have to believe his wife can't be happy with his priorities at this point.

If he truly wanted to make his film 'available to the public' then he should just release it on Youtube and be done with it, just like I suggested back in November.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: UK till Death

preacherfan

All-Conference
Oct 11, 2003
29,150
4,872
113
Sorry to quote myself, but I dredged this quote up because I was reminded of it when I ran across the following on a Carolina board, which apparently is a letter that Bethel has sent to the Tar Heel fans he duped into sending him money the first time:



So Bethel is begging for an additional $6,500 so that he can breath a little more life into his already dead film, meanwhile he's in debt, got a newborn baby and apparently has no real career at this point? Unbelievable. I have to believe his wife can't be happy with his priorities at this point.

If he truly wanted to make his film 'available to the public' then he should just release it on Youtube and be done with it, just like I suggested back in November.

As I have said previously, I have a daughter in the movie business. (As a sidenote, she just won a major award for her last film yesterday!) From the start, it was clear that Bethel was clueless what he was doing. In a way, I feel sorry for him and especially his wife. He had delusions of grandeur that blew up in his face.
 

IdaCat

Heisman
May 8, 2004
68,882
33,507
113
 

MNantz

Heisman
Dec 20, 2001
9,086
11,921
98
The NCAA will punish UofSmell harder than UNCheat, right it down !! They both should be hit and hit hard for the blatant and cheating that has went on, but it will be a moderate for one and light for the other. In the end who can do anything about what they do , or how they punish them. We have seen for years how teams are punished in any given manner, seemingly depending on who it was. To be honest to me Cuse got of pretty light !
 

Aligned_for_9

Senior
Apr 3, 2012
1,468
406
0
UNC men's basketball is not the only sport getting hit hard, but MBB is certainly getting hit hard.

UNC won't get the death penalty, but I think 90% of us will be quite satisfied.
 
  • Like
Reactions: UK till Death

IdaCat

Heisman
May 8, 2004
68,882
33,507
113
UNC men's basketball is not the only sport getting hit hard, but MBB is certainly getting hit hard.

UNC won't get the death penalty, but I think 90% of us will be quite satisfied.

Hope you're right. What roughly do you think will make 90% of us quite satisfied? Just want to see if I'm in your 90%.
 

Aligned_for_9

Senior
Apr 3, 2012
1,468
406
0
Hope you're right. What roughly do you think will make 90% of us quite satisfied? Just want to see if I'm in your 90%.


I think there will be some who will only be satisfied if UNC MBB receives the "death penalty."

No UNC sport is going to receive the death penalty, but if the DP is not your only acceptable outcome...you'll be pleased.
 

JPScott

All-American
Sep 16, 2001
7,689
7,427
62
I fully expect UNC to release its copy of the amended NOA on May 27.

You mean the NCAA will release the amended NOA?

BTW, UNC likes to claim they haven't tried to drag out the process and want to get it over with, but that is clearly bunk.

If they truly wanted to get the process over as soon as possible they could have gone ahead and responded to the original charges. But they chose not to.
 
KSR

Latest

  1. 01 KSR Good luck trying to slow down Franck Kepnang
  2. 02 KSR Basketball Add a BBN United Basketball Open Practice to a Busy Weekend for UK Sports
  3. 03 KSR Women's Basketball New WNBA mock draft has Clara Strack teaming up with Caitlin Clark
  4. 04 KSR Football NFL Draft Buzz Building for Lance Heard
  5. 05 KSR Football Shane Beamer Pleads with South Carolina Fans Ahead of Kentucky Game