No doubt, this tool still works pretty good...

TaleofTwoDogs

All-Conference
Jun 1, 2004
4,319
2,097
113
[video]https://bdata-producedclips.mlb.com/dd5916b2-6550-494f-8827-9e15e26e590d.mp4[/video]

The man always did have a great arm.
 

fevans

Redshirt
Aug 27, 2012
140
24
18
I measured it on google maps and it appears that the throw was about 295 feet. That is pretty close to the throw that Cespedes had several years ago for the A's, which was 300 feet. That's impressive as hail!
 

CochiseCowbell

Heisman
Oct 29, 2012
15,628
14,412
113
Explain to my dubmass how you did this with google maps? Did you just zoom in and approximate where he was in RF to 3B?
 

fevans

Redshirt
Aug 27, 2012
140
24
18
Explain to my dubmass how you did this with google maps? Did you just zoom in and approximate where he was in RF to 3B?

Yeah, I watched the video and used the wall jut-out as a reference for where he launched and the same for where the ball landed going to 3rd. Then I set a marker and used the google maps 'measure distance' feature in the right click menu. It's definitely an approximation, but I'd guess it's pretty close.
 

Xenomorph

Heisman
Feb 15, 2007
16,109
10,620
113
Yeah you just right click and measure distance. It’s insane how accurate it is. We’ve measured some distances on job sites varying from 100-1,000 feet and I really don’t think we would have gotten closer using a wheel.
 

Wizard.sixpack

Freshman
Sep 15, 2009
6,511
58
48
I measured it on google maps and it appears that the throw was about 295 feet. That is pretty close to the throw that Cespedes had several years ago for the A's, which was 300 feet. That's impressive as hail!
It is 284 feet from the corner where the dirt meets grass to third base. He was well inside that. This according to my HuntStand app. (edited to say I was measuring from wrong corner. It was pretty close to 300 ft)
 
Last edited:

fevans

Redshirt
Aug 27, 2012
140
24
18
It is 284 feet from the corner where the dirt meets grass to third base. He was well inside that. This according to my HuntStand app. (edited to say I was measuring from wrong corner. It was pretty close to 300 ft)

No worries. I use the google maps feature all the time, mainly for measuring baseball field fence distance, and it is incredibly accurate. It might be closer to 285 due to me 'ball-parking' where he threw from, but even then it's still an incredible throw.
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White Football "I gotta give it all I got": Mississippi State WR Anthony Evans III on crucial 4th quarter catch
  2. 02 Maroon and White Football Points of Focus from Mississippi State HC Jeff Lebby heading into Week 5
  3. 03 Rivals Football Recruiting Wiltfong Whiparound: Mega prediction for Kentucky; Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi State all made big recruiting moves in week four
  4. 04 Maroon and White Football Sunday Notebook: No. 24 Mississippi State 31-24 No. 19 Mizzou
  5. 05 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State's defense bends without breaking again