New Ford Lightning up for pre-sale

aTotal360

Heisman
Nov 12, 2009
22,491
16,187
113
It's all electric. Starting at $39,900 going all the way up to $90,500.
 

T-TownDawgg

All-Conference
Nov 4, 2015
4,800
4,904
113
Bold. I'm still waiting to see when I can realistically get this Bronco they've been promising for what seems like ten years.

On a related note, all but the Nissan dealerships here look BARE- I assume due to Wuhan computer chip shortages. Mrecedes plant is stockpiling nearly-complete vehicles in huge freshly built parking lots waiting for chips.
 

Jeffreauxdawg

All-American
Dec 15, 2017
8,891
8,003
113
Just made my reservation. These things are going to be hotter than Salma Hayek dancing naked on giant skillet...

Figure I can flip it for 10-15% over my cost when it comes in... Or I can cancel the reservation in the Fall. Or I can buy the sucker and drive it around town and use my gas burner for long trips. Gas is $3.30 a gallon out here in the mountains. Not sure its ready for primetime, but unlike Tesla, I like that there are a million places to get it serviced if need be... need will probably be.
 

jethreauxdawg

Heisman
Dec 20, 2010
11,835
16,981
113
I think it’s interesting that the specs for range and towing capacity are way behind the Cybertruck. Why not put extra battery in that under hood storage and increase the range?
 

The Peeper

Heisman
Feb 26, 2008
16,663
12,355
113
Mine has 309,000+ on it still going, I wouldn't expect to get that with the Duracell model one
 

Beerbully

Redshirt
Dec 1, 2013
382
0
0
"I wish a Ford and a Chevy would still last ten years, like they should..." -- Merle Haggard

I drive Chevy Silverados. I've had two in the past 20 years. Drove my 2001 model 340,000 miles and traded it on a 2011 model. Got 270,000 on my "new" truck now.
 

Ranchdawg

All-Conference
Dec 13, 2012
4,718
3,990
113
If you see a vehicle at night with a light out 80% of the time it is a Chevrolet because they have electrical issues. All the GM trucks are on the latest don't buy list. Recalls already.
 

SheltonChoked

Redshirt
Feb 27, 2008
1,786
0
0
The Ford skateboard has room for more battery, but there has to be a reason everyone keeps the battery pack limit at 100-110kWh.

How long until the Expedition electric? That big frunk would be nice storage for that.
 

Cooterpoot

Redshirt
Aug 29, 2012
4,239
2
0
I'll stick to my 73 Bronco. Been in the shop getting a new Coyote and transmission/rear end etc. Costing me a fortune but it's going to be one bad 17r!
 

SWFLDawg

Redshirt
Feb 27, 2008
158
0
16
I'll stick to my 73 Bronco. Been in the shop getting a new Coyote and transmission/rear end etc. Costing me a fortune but it's going to be one bad 17r!

Not mutually exclusive, I’ve got a Tesla and a ‘73 Bronco. Bronco... not...actually... running now, but the Tesla is.
 

Cooterpoot

Redshirt
Aug 29, 2012
4,239
2
0
Laughs in Tacoma

I just rolled up on 400,000 on my work truck. Only thing other than regular maintenance so far is a new radiator. Gets 15 mpg on a good day.
I really have no use for an electric truck, chain saw, or lawn mower. Damn a four wheel drive Prius!
 
Last edited:

Hugh's Burner Phone

All-American
Aug 3, 2017
5,389
6,298
113
Got an 04 Ram 2500 about to crack 300,000 miles. Engine is still as solid as the day it came off the lot. And that poor truck has seen hell. Been inside four tornadoes and can't even count the number of hail storms. Starting to toy with the idea of retiring it. It's earned it.
 

Leeshouldveflanked

All-American
Nov 12, 2016
14,591
9,725
113
I had one Ford in my 54 years..... didn’t want another.... up until last week had 6 Toyota’s... all still running.
 

SheltonChoked

Redshirt
Feb 27, 2008
1,786
0
0
Just curious about solar panels as a bed cover.... hmmmm

In Starkville and south in MS, you'll get up to 5 kWh/m2/day. The bed on a f150 lightning is 1.65m x 1.29m ~ 2.13m2. Solar panels are only about 20% efficient. So you'd get up to 2 Kwh/day from it (about 2% of the battery/day).

Probably doesn't make sense. Might cover the A/C load to keep the truck cabin cool, if you have good window tint.
 

TNT.sixpack

Redshirt
Nov 4, 2014
819
43
28
Somebody help me out on these things......I'm "warming" up to the idea. No air filer, oil change, water pump, etc.......few of the headaches that come with a combustion engine. BUT, i read that it takes up to 8 hours for a full charge on the F150? How are you supposed to take this on a road trip? Same with cars. Most of them take up to 30 mins for a full charge from what i've read. I can't imagine a 1 hour stop every 300 miles to recharge. And what if i pull up and there's 1 or 2 people ahead of me? Am i not understanding this? At the end of the day, convenience still reigns supreme.
 

msubrave

Redshirt
Nov 17, 2015
285
16
18
Charging time depends on the charger I believe.

As for road trips, it should be fine up to about a 6-8 hour drive. One stop in the middle to recharge and you'll be good to go. But no it's not for cross country road trips. It's for the 99% of the time your just driving around town.
 

Drebin

Heisman
Aug 22, 2012
22,449
27,284
113
Just made my reservation. These things are going to be hotter than Salma Hayek dancing naked on giant skillet...

Figure I can flip it for 10-15% over my cost when it comes in... Or I can cancel the reservation in the Fall. Or I can buy the sucker and drive it around town and use my gas burner for long trips. Gas is $3.30 a gallon out here in the mountains. Not sure its ready for primetime, but unlike Tesla, I like that there are a million places to get it serviced if need be... need will probably be.

Good luck with all that...
 
Sep 21, 2017
969
748
93
Bold. I'm still waiting to see when I can realistically get this Bronco they've been promising for what seems like ten years.

On a related note, all but the Nissan dealerships here look BARE- I assume due to Wuhan computer chip shortages. Mrecedes plant is stockpiling nearly-complete vehicles in huge freshly built parking lots waiting for chips.



Most dealers have empty lots right now. I was told by a sales manager at Nissan that they are halting production of Titans at the Canton plant this month. Ford is stockpiling F250s at Kentucky Motor Speedway like cord wood. Chevy is omitting the active fuel management on 1500 Silverados all due to the chip shortage. My local Chevy dealer had 6 trucks on the lot and all but the one I bought were the diesel 1500s 3 weeks ago. Normally half their lot is trucks and if I had to guess they would have 50+ trucks on the lot at any given time.
 
Last edited:

PirateDawg

Redshirt
Jan 9, 2020
1,751
0
0
That's why I had a Fusion Energi. I live about 13 miles from my job. It charged quickly and I could drive back and forth to work on 100% electric. After that it was a hybrid and got about 45 miles per gallon. I could take it on long trips without stopping and got excellent gas mileage. Here at home I ran electric to and from work. The batteries are guaranteed by Ford for 8 years. I traded mine in before I got too deep into the battery life because replacing the batteries is $$$$$$$$$$$$$.
 

o_Hot Rock

Senior
Jan 2, 2010
2,058
957
113
In Starkville and south in MS, you'll get up to 5 kWh/m2/day. The bed on a f150 lightning is 1.65m x 1.29m ~ 2.13m2. Solar panels are only about 20% efficient. So you'd get up to 2 Kwh/day from it (about 2% of the battery/day).

Probably doesn't make sense. Might cover the A/C load to keep the truck cabin cool, if you have good window tint.

I knew someone smart would chime in, Thank You.
 

SheltonChoked

Redshirt
Feb 27, 2008
1,786
0
0
Somebody help me out on these things......I'm "warming" up to the idea. No air filer, oil change, water pump, etc.......few of the headaches that come with a combustion engine. BUT, i read that it takes up to 8 hours for a full charge on the F150? How are you supposed to take this on a road trip? Same with cars. Most of them take up to 30 mins for a full charge from what i've read. I can't imagine a 1 hour stop every 300 miles to recharge. And what if i pull up and there's 1 or 2 people ahead of me? Am i not understanding this? At the end of the day, convenience still reigns supreme.

It takes 8 hours on a 240V 60 amp AC home charger.

Tesla, and power companies have and are building DC "superchargers" that can put out 600 to 800 V, and get you 70-80% charged in 20-30 minutes. Getting the last 20% takes longer, and is not good for the batteries.

It would be a 20-40 minute stop every 300 miles. Most locations are at restaurants or malls.

Electric cars are not really made for a cross country trip. But for short trips, or for going somewhere where you will be parked for a while and can top off.
 

turkish

Junior
Aug 22, 2012
996
372
63
Electric vehicles are a good replacement option for ICE vehicles that don’t burn much gas in the first place.
 
Feb 4, 2015
1,060
66
48
Never gotten less than 325,000 miles out of one. No trouble at all til about 220,000. Beats the hell out of those Chevys I had before them. Always something with those.
I have an ‘11 Sierra that I had to replace the cam in it after 220k and the cylinders had zero wear in them. Up to 258k now and it still runs strong as a new one!
 
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White Football Sunday Notebook: No. 24 Mississippi State 31-24 No. 19 Mizzou
  2. 02 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State's defense bends without breaking again
  3. 03 Maroon and White Mississippi State PFF Grades from 31-24 win over Mizzou
  4. 04 Maroon and White Football Mississippi State's Week 5 date with No. 8 Alabama set for early window
  5. 05 Maroon and White Fluff Bothwell finds a way in impact performance for Mississippi State