MC 49 PC 14 Final nm

McCaravan

All-American
Feb 1, 2016
5,293
8,258
113
Does MC even have a punter ?
He was actually in street clothes tonight! They had Quentin Burrell punt in the 1st quarter and it wasn't a good punt...so tossing one up for grabs was probably a better option....Thorton just grabbed it before the two in double coverage did.
 

80sRambler

Senior
Oct 28, 2022
357
427
63
He was actually in street clothes tonight! They had Quentin Burrell punt in the 1st quarter and it wasn't a good punt...so tossing one up for grabs was probably a better option....Thorton just grabbed it before the two in double coverage did.
I have to admit I was prepared to at least mildly dislike going for it on 4th and 22 when up 28, but I watched the play and it was an absolute prayer thrown into double coverage… and now I know that MC didn’t even have a punter, so, not much to see here at all.
 

JZ1983

Redshirt
Oct 10, 2025
53
29
18
Providence barley has 700 kids in the school your acting like they dont belong in 5a. Bolingbrook beating up on joliet central is really preparing them for 8a. Good luck with that. And as far as pc getting what they deserve im with you. What they did with the coaching move is going to have huge repercussions moving forward as far as im concerned.
Provi has 752 last checked. Not trying to start anything just throwing it out there. I see them winning 5A pretty easily but will I guess be moved up to 6A next year? Would that be accurate if they win 5A? JCA has under 600 kids and currently in 6a I believe.
 

chitown-irish

Junior
Sep 21, 2011
377
218
43
Provi has 752 last checked. Not trying to start anything just throwing it out there. I see them winning 5A pretty easily but will I guess be moved up to 6A next year? Would that be accurate if they win 5A? JCA has under 600 kids and currently in 6a I believe.
According to the official ihsa website the current enrollment is 712. If they make it to the state championship game I think they would be bumped up to 6a. Due to the success factor.
 

4Afan

All-Conference
Sep 15, 2001
4,648
4,143
113
Provi has 752 last checked. Not trying to start anything just throwing it out there. I see them winning 5A pretty easily but will I guess be moved up to 6A next year? Would that be accurate if they win 5A? JCA has under 600 kids and currently in 6a I believe.
Correct, if they make the title game they will be success factored up to 6A for the next two years while Naz and JCA will come back down to 5A.
 
  • Like
Reactions: JZ1983

JZ1983

Redshirt
Oct 10, 2025
53
29
18
True. But it seems it’s only MC and East STL who reloads. Most schools go though ups and downs. PC beat Loyola last year. But you are right this year for sure.
 

SiuCubFan8

All-Conference
Jul 27, 2007
6,332
4,116
113
This game is more proof of the enormous gap between MC/BR/LA and the rest of the CCL. Let’s see if Ignatius can keep it competitive today. I tend to doubt they
But this isn’t really news. The FEN/NAZ/SF/PC/JCA/IC/Montini/Rita’s of the league can catch those teams every once and awhile but yes it’s a pretty substantial gap. It’s the depth that really shows.
 

Colin2299

Senior
Aug 13, 2025
634
438
63
But this isn’t really news. The FEN/NAZ/SF/PC/JCA/IC/Montini/Rita’s of the league can catch those teams every once and awhile but yes it’s a pretty substantial gap. It’s the depth that really shows.

Hot take…depth is somewhat over rated. These are high school kids who can run all day.

A few kids going both ways isn’t a big deal.
 

JZ1983

Redshirt
Oct 10, 2025
53
29
18
But this isn’t really news. The FEN/NAZ/SF/PC/JCA/IC/Montini/Rita’s of the league can catch those teams every once and awhile but yes it’s a pretty substantial gap. It’s the depth that really shows.
Yup. Except maybe for the mid/late 90’s when PC was rollin. It’s pretty amazing how MC and ESL just seem to reload. Even as good as Brother Rice is right now they are hit and miss just like the rest of the CCL. Curious at some point if we foresee MC and ESL having a “off year” anytime soon. Props to the programs for consistency and getting kids and parents to want to go there. My wife and I absolutely love Provi, and our daughters attend there now. With all the noise this season surrounding the football team I hope it doesn’t affect the school because it’s an amazing place. Going into this season I was hoping they could keep building like they did in the late 90’s and maybe, just maybe, get to be the powerhouse MC currently is. Time will tell I guess. Appreciate the banter in these threads!
 
  • Like
Reactions: Running_Clock

chitown-irish

Junior
Sep 21, 2011
377
218
43
Its the age we live in. What happens in college trickles down to high school . Ever since that transfer portal has become so big in college look around at these high school rosters. Their are big time players transfering into these top rated schools. It is not just the catholic schools that a doing it either. But again its the age we live in and you have to adapt. Nick Saban and dabo swinney dominated college football less then 10 years ago now one is retired and the other one looks like a dinosaur.
 
  • Like
Reactions: JZ1983

SiuCubFan8

All-Conference
Jul 27, 2007
6,332
4,116
113
Hot take…depth is somewhat over rated. These are high school kids who can run all day.

A few kids going both ways isn’t a big deal.
Over the course of a season it matters, in a single game yes not as much. The big programs mentioned just have a longer list of kids that are really good/good HS football players….depth.
 

chitown-irish

Junior
Sep 21, 2011
377
218
43
How does a school like PC's talent and depth compare to someone like Oak Forest?
I would say pc has more talent but not depth. Oak forest has almost 1300 students compared to pc who barely has 700. And pc is no different the any of the other catholic schools. Lincoln way east is the best public school in the state year in and year out. Yet they have repeatedly been knocked out by a catholic school. I dont know what your obsession with pc being in 5a is. You must have never got over the loss in the semis in 98.
 
  • Haha
Reactions: Doctor_D

Cross Bones

All-Conference
Aug 19, 2001
53,447
4,536
113
I would say pc has more talent but not depth. Oak forest has almost 1300 students compared to pc who barely has 700. And pc is no different the any of the other catholic schools. Lincoln way east is the best public school in the state year in and year out. Yet they have repeatedly been knocked out by a catholic school. I dont know what your obsession with pc being in 5a is. You must have never got over the loss in the semis in 98.
You think Oak Forest is pulling people off their bench from their 42 man roster roster as talented as PC has on their bench from their 59 man roster?

The goofiness of it all is why I keep coming back to it. Its the irony of you crying and moaning here about talent and depth then turn around and show the inability to see it when the same exact thing benefits you.
 

Louie1999

Sophomore
Sep 13, 2025
129
142
43
You think Oak Forest is pulling people off their bench from their 42 man roster roster as talented as PC has on their bench from their 59 man roster?

The goofiness of it all is why I keep coming back to it. Its the irony of you crying and moaning here about talent and depth then turn around and show the inability to see it when the same exact thing benefits you.
I have grown to agree with this. But it’s all a mockery and high school football isn’t the pure sport it was with everyone now transferring to whatever school gives them the best shot to win or achieve personal goals whether it is public or private. LWE doesn’t just have success from coaching, development or anything like that. It’s getting the kids to come to your school by recruiting them just like in college. Private schools should acknowledge that’s what makes them better as well. MC is good because Jordan Lynch is good at recruiting. I live in the Deep South and here everyone openly acknowledges the recruiting going on at public and private schools.

You are not special as a team, your coach is probably not that special and if you are winning it’s because you got more good players through the door. If you want to celebrate that go ahead but that’s not what football is about to me.
 
Last edited:

chitown-irish

Junior
Sep 21, 2011
377
218
43
You think Oak Forest is pulling people off their bench from their 42 man roster roster as talented as PC has on their bench from their 59 man roster?

The goofiness of it all is why I keep coming back to it. Its the irony of you crying and moaning here about talent and depth then turn around and show the inability to see it when the same exact thing benefits you.
When was I crying about talent and depth. I said pc doesnt have talent or depth to go score for score with Mc. Thats not crying or moaning those are facts. Just a simple statement. Also going on to max preps isn't an accurate way to get numbers for a varsity roster.
 
  • Like
Reactions: k1867

Running_Clock

Freshman
Nov 18, 2025
41
55
17
Yup. Except maybe for the mid/late 90’s when PC was rollin. It’s pretty amazing how MC and ESL just seem to reload. Even as good as Brother Rice is right now they are hit and miss just like the rest of the CCL. Curious at some point if we foresee MC and ESL having a “off year” anytime soon. Props to the programs for consistency and getting kids and parents to want to go there. My wife and I absolutely love Provi, and our daughters attend there now. With all the noise this season surrounding the football team I hope it doesn’t affect the school because it’s an amazing place. Going into this season I was hoping they could keep building like they did in the late 90’s and maybe, just maybe, get to be the powerhouse MC currently is. Time will tell I guess. Appreciate the banter in these threads!

PC was a special place in the ’90s and early 2000s. For most of its history, there had only been two head coaches, and the expectation every week was pretty simple: win. More often than not, they did.

For a long stretch, it felt like MC, JCA and PC were always either winning state, playing for a trip to state, or knocking each other out along the way.

Credit to MC for adapting and maintaining that level of consistency. It’s a unique place.

It’s tough to see enrollment and football numbers down at PC and JCA, especially with so many strong public-school programs in the area now. Hopefully both can find a way back toward what they were, although after what happened at PC a few weeks ago, that road feels a lot harder
 
  • Like
Reactions: JZ1983

JZ1983

Redshirt
Oct 10, 2025
53
29
18
Its the age we live in. What happens in college trickles down to high school . Ever since that transfer portal has become so big in college look around at these high school rosters. Their are big time players transfering into these top rated schools. It is not just the catholic schools that a doing it either. But again its the age we live in and you have to adapt. Nick Saban and dabo swinney dominated college football less then 10 years ago now one is retired and the other one looks like a dinosaur.
Very true well said.
 

JZ1983

Redshirt
Oct 10, 2025
53
29
18
It’s the age we live in. What happens in college trickles down to high school . Ever since that transfer portal has become so big in college look around at these high school rosters. There are big time players transfering into these top rated schools. It is not just the catholic schools that a doing it either. But again it’s the age we live in and you have to adapt. Nick Saban and dabo swinney dominated college football less then 10 years ago now one is retired and the other one looks
A
Correct, if they make the title game they will be success factored up to 6A for the next two years while Naz and JCA will come back down to 5A.

Correct, if they make the title game they will be success factored up to 6A for the next two years while Naz and JCA will come back down to 5A.
Appreciate that info!
 

JZ1983

Redshirt
Oct 10, 2025
53
29
18
Its the age we live in. What happens in college trickles down to high school . Ever since that transfer portal has become so big in college look around at these high school rosters. Their are big time players transfering into these top rated schools. It is not just the catholic schools that a doing it either. But again its the age we live in and you have to adapt. Nick Saban and dabo swinney dominated college football less then 10 years ago now one is retired and the other one looks like a dinosaur.
Truth
 

JZ1983

Redshirt
Oct 10, 2025
53
29
18
PC was a special place in the ’90s and early 2000s. For most of its history, there had only been two head coaches, and the expectation every week was pretty simple: win. More often than not, they did.

For a long stretch, it felt like MC, JCA and PC were always either winning state, playing for a trip to state, or knocking each other out along the way.

Credit to MC for adapting and maintaining that level of consistency. It’s a unique place.

It’s tough to see enrollment and football numbers down at PC and JCA, especially with so many strong public-school programs in the area now. Hopefully both can find a way back toward what they were, although after what happened at PC a few weeks ago, that road feels a lot harder
True. I believe a lot of it is PC is surrounded by great public schools and our taxes are through the roof. MC, not to be hard on the kids that attend CPS, is not surrounded by the same schools like Lincolnway, Lockport, Sandburg etc. so it’s harder to convince families to put out that tuition money for PC. And I know this is a football thread, but PC has historically, at least for the past 30 years or so, have a well rounded athletic program. I believe the most state championships in the state across all platforms for Catholic schools. That will help as well. The wrestling program this year is just like the old days
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: Running_Clock

McCaravan

All-American
Feb 1, 2016
5,293
8,258
113
True. I believe a lot of it is PC is surrounded by great public schools and our taxes are through the roof. MC, not to be hard on the kids that attend CPS, is not surrounded by the same schools like Lincolnway, Lockport, Sandburg etc. so it’s harder to convince families to put out that tuition money for PC. And I know this is a football thread, but PC has historically, at least for the past 30 years or so, have a well rounded athletic program. I believe the most state championships in the state across all platforms for Catholic schools. That will help as well. The wrestling program this year is just like the old days
Wrestling team has definitely improved but they are in 2A so not what they used to be....The old PC wrestling was scary good, top to bottom just dominate. When MC or Marist wrestled PC back in the 80's, 90's and early 00's it was a packed house, so great to watch. Cumbee has built JCA into a powerhouse and Gerdes is his assistant. Why PC hasn't opened the bank to bring those 2 Celtic alums back I have no idea
 
  • Like
Reactions: JZ1983

MC63

All-Conference
May 29, 2001
6,589
2,539
113
Providence barley has 700 kids in the school your acting like they dont belong in 5a. Bolingbrook beating up on joliet central is really preparing them for 8a. Good luck with that. And as far as pc getting what they deserve im with you. What they did with the coaching move is going to have huge repercussions moving forward as far as im concerned.
For years, I've said that upper level CCL teams should play in 7A, at least, during the playoffs I c aught hell for this heresy, but lately, others have posted similar thoughts. Schools like Naz, Montini, PC and JCA have won way too many cheap trophies while beating up on 4A, 5A, and yes, even 3A schools. Yes, I know all about their enrollment ... but they're playing a much more sophisticated level of competition.

In our league the upper level guys play 6A/ 7a/8A competition throughout Sept and Oct. No need for trophy trolling in November.
 

chitown-irish

Junior
Sep 21, 2011
377
218
43
For years, I've said that upper level CCL teams should play in 7A, at least, during the playoffs I c aught hell for this heresy, but lately, others have posted similar thoughts. Schools like Naz, Montini, PC and JCA have won way too many cheap trophies while beating up on 4A, 5A, and yes, even 3A schools. Yes, I know all about their enrollment ... but they're playing a much more sophisticated level of competition.

In our league the upper level guys play 6A/ 7a/8A competition throughout Sept and Oct. No need for trophy trolling in November.
Providence has won 1 title in under 6a since they have went to 8 classes get you facts straight.
 

MC63

All-Conference
May 29, 2001
6,589
2,539
113
Providence has won 1 title in under 6a since they have went to 8 classes get you facts straight.
One title is one too many. They should send it back. Sorry, but CCL toop teams have no place in tiny town.


You seem like a a good guy and I'm not looking for a you-know-what contest, but my school gets lots of grief and I'm shoort of patienhc.
How many years did they come up short in under 6A/
 

JCHillmen10

Junior
Jul 29, 2025
152
219
43
One title is one too many. They should send it back. Sorry, but CCL toop teams have no place in tiny town.


You seem like a a good guy and I'm not looking for a you-know-what contest, but my school gets lots of grief and I'm shoort of patienhc.
How many years did they come up short in under 6A/
so now years of coming up short in 5A is further evidence of PC definitely needing to be playing well above 5A? That’s a particularly terrible argument.

And petitioning up wasn’t even an option when PC won their 5A title so to say it’s one too many is tilting at windmills.
 

SiuCubFan8

All-Conference
Jul 27, 2007
6,332
4,116
113
One title is one too many. They should send it back. Sorry, but CCL toop teams have no place in tiny town.


You seem like a a good guy and I'm not looking for a you-know-what contest, but my school gets lots of grief and I'm shoort of patienhc.
How many years did they come up short in under 6A/
PC is not the program of the 90s/early 2000s.
How many schools are the “top programs” in ccl?
 

JZ1983

Redshirt
Oct 10, 2025
53
29
18
Wrestling team has definitely improved but they are in 2A so not what they used to be....The old PC wrestling was scary good, top to bottom just dominate. When MC or Marist wrestled PC back in the 80's, 90's and early 00's it was a packed house, so great to watch. Cumbee has built JCA into a powerhouse and Gerdes is his assistant. Why PC hasn't opened the bank to bring those 2 Celtic alums back I have no idea
True but I think Kucala, who I graduated with, is getting involved a bit as well. He has young kids that he plans to send there I believe. I’m sure if they stay the course the program will regain its glory. You are right those were great matches with MC or Marist. Now montini is killing too.
 
  • Like
Reactions: McCaravan

JZ1983

Redshirt
Oct 10, 2025
53
29
18
True but I think Kucala, who I graduated with, is getting involved a bit as well. He has young kids that he plans to send there I believe. I’m sure if they stay the course the program will regain its glory. You are right those were great matches with MC or Marist. Now montini is killing it too. Also just trying to say PC is a well rounded school overall. Baseball usually in the thick of it. Hockey always competes, softball almost went to the final recently. Dance won state a year ago or so (can’t remember exactly). It’s hard to “win it all” and they often do, but at the very least a lot of the athletics are extremely competitive. It seems we both share a love for anything CCL regardless of sport. It’s great incorporating faith into athletics, and really anything in life. Full discrepancy my wife and I met at Provi and we have a major soft spot for that school, my whole family growing up went to Joliet Catholic/St. Francis and my sister went to JCA. Glad I went against the grain lol. It’s a fun rivalry.
 

McCaravan

All-American
Feb 1, 2016
5,293
8,258
113
True but I think Kucala, who I graduated with, is getting involved a bit as well. He has young kids that he plans to send there I believe. I’m sure if they stay the course the program will regain its glory. You are right those were great matches with MC or Marist. Now montini is killing too.
Montini took a small hit after the Izzy bailout but they rebounded quickly
 
  • Like
Reactions: JZ1983

Running_Clock

Freshman
Nov 18, 2025
41
55
17
True but I think Kucala, who I graduated with, is getting involved a bit as well. He has young kids that he plans to send there I believe. I’m sure if they stay the course the program will regain its glory. You are right those were great matches with MC or Marist. Now montini is killing too.

The Reynolds family is a phenomenal wrestling dynasty and has been great for PC. Having a successful alum leading the program is exactly how you maintain the tradition and STANDARD while getting things back on track.

Hopefully Ternik comes to that same realization with the football program. Though the team is doing well.
 
  • Like
Reactions: JZ1983

Alexander33

All-Conference
Oct 24, 2016
843
1,116
93
If everything is working, it's fine to let it run for a while, especially if you're coming off a devastating loss. Cloherty was brilliant tonight, with seven TDs, no ints, and a 78% completion percentage. And you Carmel haters can go to hell.
Here are some facts for the Mt. Carmel supporters to contemplate. The following information represents the results of the four games played between the top five teams in the state. To the right of each team is the won/lost record of the team in those games, and then the aggregate point differential.

1. East St. Louis (1-0) +19 points
2. Loyola (1-0) +3
3. Lincoln-Way East (1-0) +1
4. Brother Rice (1-2) +7
5. Mt. Carmel (0-2) -30 points

Mt. Carmel better work harder in the offseason, stop their sloppy play, and hire a better coach.



There is one more regular season game to be played of this type. That will be Mt. Carmel at Loyola. In all seriousness, as a four-time defending state champion, Mt. Carmel is still a very dangerous team. They might win a fifth straight title even if their defense doesn't improve. However, if the defense plays better, look out!
 

80sRambler

Senior
Oct 28, 2022
357
427
63
Here are some facts for the Mt. Carmel supporters to contemplate. The following information represents the results of the four games played between the top five teams in the state. To the right of each team is the won/lost record of the team in those games, and then the aggregate point differential.

1. East St. Louis (1-0) +19 points
2. Loyola (1-0) +3
3. Lincoln-Way East (1-0) +1
4. Brother Rice (1-2) +7
5. Mt. Carmel (0-2) -30 points

Mt. Carmel better work harder in the offseason, stop their sloppy play, and hire a better coach.



There is one more regular season game to be played of this type. That will be Mt. Carmel at Loyola. In all seriousness, as a four-time defending state champion, Mt. Carmel is still a very dangerous team. They might win a fifth straight title even if their defense doesn't improve. However, if the defense plays better, look out!
They haven’t all played each other. How is this meaningful data?
 
  • Like
Reactions: Jenny27
Edgy Tim

Latest

  1. 01 Edgy Tim Football Week 8 EDGYTIM Chicagoland Top 30
  2. 02 Edgy Tim Football Video: Loyola 38 St. Ignatius 7
  3. 03 On3 Football Northwestern's new era: Inside the first game at New Ryan Field
  4. 04 Rivals Football Recruiting Rivals Riser: Illinois WR commit Bennett Konkey earns his fourth star
  5. 05 CaneSport football recruiting Power ranking the five best Miami recruits I saw on the road in September